The Club and Improvised weapons thread (Post your Handy work!)

First off, where you still find saw blades that big?

Second, is this macuahuitl going to be solid steel sandwiched between two layers of wood in a flush manner? Because I don't think that's anything like a macuahuitl, which had the obsidian blades secured around the edge.

First off, where you still find saw blades that big?

Second, is this macuahuitl going to be solid steel sandwiched between two layers of wood in a flush manner? Because I don't think that's anything like a macuahuitl, which had the obsidian blades secured around the edge.

I find them at antique stores, flea markets, scrap yards etc... I beleive that the lumber industry us to be prevalent where I live.

You are correct, sandwiched, pinned, and epoxy. You're right that it looks nothing like a macuahuitl. I was inspired by the design, at least the teeth were. The idea came when I saw this weapon of TFW. But with bigger teeth and single "edged". I guess it's a combination of the TFW weapon, Aztec Macuahuitl, and maybe a Shark tooth club from Islanders. Just with modern methods, but I'm sure this thing with be a mean S.O.B when done.

SawtoothStick-700x468.jpg

If I were making something similar with those materials I'd just cut off a bunch of the teeth, then set them in a groove around the edge of the wood (pinned of course). You'd wind up with a much lighter (faster) weapon and sacrifice little strength due to it being a solid piece of wood. I'd probably use a large double bit axe handle;)

~Chip

ZNA did something similar some time ago with two different designs, both using utility blades in their construction. One had them epoxied in, the other had the blades cut in half and notched, and then secured with dental floss.

If I were making something similar with those materials I'd just cut off a bunch of the teeth, then set them in a groove around the edge of the wood (pinned of course). You'd wind up with a much lighter (faster) weapon and sacrifice little strength due to it being a solid piece of wood. I'd probably use a large double bit axe handle;)

~Chip

I like that idea, but this is going to remain as is. I can always save the teeth and make something like this,

View attachment 694058

So the wood paneling didn't work (I split it) buy I did make this. Which is sharpened inside the teeth as well. Able to decapitated two bottles in a single swipe. It's 24.5" OAL 17".5 blade length, 7" handle, and a 4.5" blade width.

d50942493e71699354c6a24998c42805.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So the wood paneling didn't work (I split it) buy I did make this. Which is sharpened inside the teeth as well. Able to decapitated two bottles in a single swipe. It's 24.5" OAL 17".5 blade length, 7" handle, and a 4.5" blade width.

d50942493e71699354c6a24998c42805.jpg

Well, different from plan. But KILLAH!!!

Damn, some nasties here! :D

Native American inspired ball headed warclub made by friend:
QIdlGHR.jpg

"coin purse":
KUHNTLw.jpg

Both this and the sawtooth stick give me a random, crazy idea. A wooden boat oar with a channel cut along the edge portion, with the blade of a tree bow saw epoxied inside of it.

Oh damn... that would be nasty!

~Chip

First up are a couple of thumb dagger inspired aluminum letter openers, then an oss / soe lapel spike, then a sleeve dagger / spike, then my take on an oss lapel / thumb dagger . It's mild steel and it's also kind of sloppy as I made it when I was a kid.

Last but not least and my favorite of the bunch is this micro thumb dagger which I call " the mosquito " . It's made from the tip of a small file and is quite sharp for what it is. I'm not sure how much damage it could do, but in the right hands you could open up an adversaries forehead causing them to blind themselves with blood.

Damn, some nasties here! :D

Native American inspired ball headed warclub made by friend:
QIdlGHR.jpg

"coin purse":
KUHNTLw.jpg

Really diggin that coin purse!

If I find some decent suede I may just emulate your design. ;)

I can't remember if I posted this, but here is a blade that I cut from a busted machete. I mounted it using primitive methods.

0e119477fd0c26c7dde26465b9774267.jpg

Really diggin that coin purse!

If I find some decent suede I may just emulate your design. ;)

Thanks! :) Go ahead! It's pretty easy to make. I intended to make it straight but I guess the stitching got it crooked like that.. not that I mind really. It kind of looks more outrageous like that.

Back