The Club and Improvised weapons thread (Post your Handy work!)

Made this a couple weeks ago
ffa08c5488c9fe5dd3de5cc2d6a40304.jpg

I can't figure out the braiding method you used on putting that together.

Alright gentlemen, and anyone/anything else present. I present the upgraded Thunderball.

Unlike the previous version, the new version has a bolt running all the way through it, and secured on the other side by whatever this threaded end cap is called, seated snugly in a recessed hole just deep enough to make it flush with the surface.

I have no idea where the crack-like imperfection in the finish came from during the whole process. All I know is that I've run my thumb over it quite a bit and can't feel anything there.

In Poland, hundreds of years ago, the peasants could not afford weapons made from metal. They improvised by cutting inscisions into young ash trees at intervals over a long period of time and inserting sharp pieces of flint. Over time, the tree grew around the jagged rock so securly that it became part of the tree. Nothing could dislodge them and they could penetrate the toughest armor. When the tree was around 3" in diameter, it was harvested. They used these to fight invading muslim hoards from the Ottoman Empire and Mongol and Tartar raiders from central Asia. (I'm trying this right now with blue beech trees substituting steel for flint.)

Source: "Poland" by James A Mitchener, page 92.

In Poland, hundreds of years ago, the peasants could not afford weapons made from metal. They improvised by cutting inscisions into young ash trees at intervals over a long period of time and inserting sharp pieces of flint. Over time, the tree grew around the jagged rock so securly that it became part of the tree. Nothing could dislodge them and they could penetrate the toughest armor. When the tree was around 3" in diameter, it was harvested. They used these to fight invading muslim hoards from the Ottoman Empire and Mongol and Tartar raiders from central Asia. (I'm trying this right now with blue beech trees substituting steel for flint.)

Source: "Poland" by James A Mitchener, page 92.

Very interesting!

I've seen trees that have grown with abrbed wire though them, completely smothered nails etc. I think blue beech is toxic? so double check that before you touch any fresh cuts or use the other bits for crafting stuff lol.

Very interesting!

I've seen trees that have grown with abrbed wire though them, completely smothered nails etc. I think blue beech is toxic? so double check that before you touch any fresh cuts or use the other bits for crafting stuff lol.

This is certainly my first hearing of something like that. Also my first hearing of something like blue beech, so I looked it up. The genus is also known as ironwood, and is used in tool handles, longbows, canes, and golf clubs.

Just cut these on the water jet last Friday, they are with a friend currently getting head blasted and parkerized. They are cut out of half inch plate, don't know what material other than steel (used a piece of scrap)

5c6a2e9a13080a1e622b9bf03f5e3274.jpg

That came out great. :thumbup:

Alright gentlemen, and anyone/anything else present. I present the upgraded Thunderball.

I have no idea where the crack-like imperfection in the finish came from during the whole process. All I know is that I've run my thumb over it quite a bit and can't feel anything there.

Yeah, now there's no way that's coming apart unless the ball just flat out breaks. Nicely done.

Or larger, you say?;)

~Chip

Last edited:
Yeah, now there's no way that's coming apart unless the ball just flat out breaks. Nicely done.

I'm not sure what would break first. The guys at Zombie Go Boom tested one with some shock stickers like Mythbusters used, and it withstood blows that triggered the 100 pound sticker. Although the 1/4" eye bolt says it's rated for 80 pounds.

Or larger, you say?;)

Is that 9 passes?

Yup, 2" ball:)

~Chip

Yeah

About how much cord goes into something like this? Thinking of making one...

Depends on how much reach you want to have. I had the end strands at about 4 feet just to be sure. I forgot the length of the piece I was using, but I think it was around 30 feet. I had a lot of small pieces left over when it was done.

interesting thread for a browse lol. I have had this thing laying around for a good few years now..i use it in the garden, mostly for weeding & breaking up dirt.
its a big thick hook shaped blade welded onto a bicycle seat post with shrink wrap over the join.
IMG_2646_zpsaclqofcf.jpg

I wondered what that thing on the bottom was. Did you use the stock removal method for making it?

What sort of setup is that on the monkey's fist? It looks like some sort of ring on the end to allow its reach to be extended if necessary.

Here's what I have cooking up

b8947bb8553fe65e4b635b3b7719b71b.jpg

Basically a modern macuahuitl, sandwich between two pieces of red oak, held together with 1/8" brass pins, and epoxu. I'm calling it "bone saw"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back