The Cold Steel Voyager in AUS10 steel is THE BEST knife you can buy for the money...

I’d call that an asinine reply. Perhaps that word doesn’t mean what you think it means?

I can’t speak for @CWL but this Voyager would have no real use for me whatsoever. It would be of little value to me. You have now given your own definition, presumably based solely on what you get for the price, which by most people’s reckoning is a very narrow way to define value.
Yeah, well, that's great for you. Whatever works for you, fella. :)

Asinine is a simple word that means extremely stupid or foolish, which is what his comment is...and I couldn't care less what you think.
It’s a discussion forum. Expect people to put forward different points of view, or prepare to keep getting your knickers in a twist. I have no personal comment to make towards you. At least this isn’t a necro thread from 12 years ago, I suppose.

What is so great about AUS-10? How does it compare to say VG-10, speaking of 10's?

AUS-10 is basically AUS-8 with more carbon. In theory, it should have better edge retention. Here is a graph of the compositions of AUS-8, AUS-10, and VG-10 for comparison. (Note that maximum values are shown for ranges.)

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=AUS-8,AUS-10, VG-10&ni=4005,6783,&hrn=1&gm=0

In my experience, AUS-8 is definitely more stainless than D2 but notably less than VG-10, 14C28N, or 9Cr18Mov. I don't have much experience with AUS-10. I'm guessing it has less corrosion resistance than AUS-8 but by how much? I've often seen it mentioned as an everyday alternative to D2. I'd love to hear from people who've spent a lot of time with both of those steels.

Best for what?

Whenever somebody uses "best" for subjective items, they are broadcasting that they don't really know that much.

Part in bold, completely unnecessary, whether perceived as true or not. Could have said instead "Whenever somebody uses "best" for subjective items, they are speaking only for themselves and their preferences". Problem avoided.

Asinine is a simple word that means extremely stupid or foolish, which is what his comment is...and I couldn't care less what you think.

No, it is tactless. There is a difference. But your comment only played right into it. You could have said instead: "I know what I like, so it's best for me". In fact, you will notice that most of the more seasoned members on here, when presenting their opinions, use that kind of language, "this is the perfect knife for me," or "No grind is better than a flat grind, for me and my uses,", etc. It's because they either inherently know, or have come to learn, that when discussing subjective matters it's inevitable to end up in a pointless argument when proposing one's personal opinion as absolute.

At least you didn't say "I could care less", because that would mean you do care, at least a little. :thumbsup: (like maybe enough to respond...? jussayin')

AUS-10 is basically AUS-8 with more carbon. In theory, it should have better edge retention. Here is a graph of the compositions of AUS-8, AUS-10, and VG-10 for comparison. (Note that maximum values are shown for ranges.)

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=AUS-8,AUS-10, VG-10&ni=4005,6783,&hrn=1&gm=0

In my experience, AUS-8 is definitely more stainless than D2 but notably less than VG-10, 14C28N, or 9Cr18Mov. I don't have much experience with AUS-10. I'm guessing it has less corrosion resistance than AUS-8 but by how much? I've often seen it mentioned as an everyday alternative to D2. I'd love to hear from people who've spent a lot of time with both of those steels.

I found the AUS10 in my Voyagers to hold an edge better than AUS8, and it seemed to me they sharpened more easily too, though that could be a subjective valuation due to the fact that I owned the AUS8 ones more early on in my knifing, so my sharpening skill was better one the AUS10 came around. I never had a problem with either and corrosion, though my environment and limited use of these knives didn't really put them to the test.

I have sold all my Voyagers because as cool as they are, they are just not practical cutting tools for me. I am better off using either a Spyderco or a fixed blade I made for cutting, and for the Voyager XL types of uses, one of my larger fixed blades will do everything it can and more, and do it more efficiently.

Well, this is going well. LOL

lmao

back to the title & op
imho, it's not the best knife you can buy for the money... it's decent, but a simple rat in d2 gives more bang for dollar...
as does a bunch of others...
14c28n steel in a ruike hussar 3.5" blade with g10, and it's only $35
P121-G.jpg

Part in bold, completely unnecessary, whether perceived as true or not. Could have said instead "Whenever somebody uses "best" for subjective items, they are speaking only for themselves and their preferences". Problem avoided.

No, it is tactless. There is a difference. But your comment only played right into it. You could have said instead: "I know what I like, so it's best for me". In fact, you will notice that most of the more seasoned members on here, when presenting their opinions, use that kind of language, "this is the perfect knife for me," or "No grind is better than a flat grind, for me and my uses,", etc. It's because they either inherently know, or have come to learn, that when discussing subjective matters it's inevitable to end up in a pointless argument when proposing one's personal opinion as absolute.

At least you didn't say "I could care less", because that would mean you do care, at least a little. :thumbsup: (like maybe enough to respond...? jussayin')

That's a very nice opinion that you have there, and I respect it. Perhaps everyone should respect everyone else's opinion as well? I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with me, but just show a little class when you do it and I will respond in-kind. :)

I found the AUS10 in my Voyagers to hold an edge better than AUS8, and it seemed to me they sharpened more easily too, though that could be a subjective valuation due to the fact that I owned the AUS8 ones more early on in my knifing, so my sharpening skill was better one the AUS10 came around. I never had a problem with either and corrosion, though my environment and limited use of these knives didn't really put them to the test.

I have sold all my Voyagers because as cool as they are, they are just not practical cutting tools for me. I am better off using either a Spyderco or a fixed blade I made for cutting, and for the Voyager XL types of uses, one of my fixed blades will do everything it can and more, and do it more efficiently.

That's a very nice opinion that you have there, and I respect it. Perhaps everyone should respect everyone else's opinion as well? I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with me, but just show a little class when you do it and I will respond in-kind. :)

I think it would be too tiring to be a reactionary who lets others' personalities and behaviors dictate my own.
Responding in-kind to a rude comment that lacks any degree of rational and constructive criticism to my original comment has nothing to do with being a "reactionary who lets others' personalities dictate" his own. That is vastly overstating things. I also disagree with you about it being "too tiring"----it takes minimal effort.

Responding in-kind to a rude comment that lacks any degree of rational and constructive criticism to my original comment has nothing to do with being a "reactionary who lets others' personalities dictate" his own. That is vastly overstating things. I also disagree with you about it being "too tiring"----it takes minimal effort.

The problem with "responding in-kind to a rude comment" is that if you unknowingly go too far, you can get banned from this forum. I've seen it happen many times.

At last check there are 364,870 members on this forum, chances are pretty good you're going to encounter some who rub you the wrong way.

We can't control how other people reply to our post, all we can control is how we respond to them. My advice- if someone posts something you don't like, just ignore it.

I'm glad you like the Voyager (I love my Cold Steel knives). I see nothing wrong with saying it's "the best". After all, it's just one persons opinion. It's not an edict from on high that everyone needs to agree with.

I have the Spyderco Delica 4 and the Endura 4, both of which have VG-10 steel, and I have used both as well as the Voyager extensively. And, I would disagree with your assessment. I would say that AUS10 is clearly closer to VG-10 than 440C, at least in practical use.

I was referring to ZKnives' description of AUS10 that says it's the "rough equivalent of 440C" (AUS10 has less Chromium and small amounts of Nickel and Vanadium added relative to 440C). In Larrin's CATRA testing, the difference between 440C at higher HRCs and VG10 is relatively small (less than 10%), 440C at lower hardness (as typically seen in low-end knives) is where the gap opens, and even then it's not particularly huge (less than 20%). At higher hardnesses, it should be very hard to distinguish 440C, VG10, and AUS10 based on edge retention alone.

In practice, Spyderco VG10 has tested softer (58ish HRC) than what Larrin used (61.5ish), so edge retention would be correspondingly lower on those knives. It's very possible that at least some of Spyderco's VG10 is soft enough, and Cold Steel's AUS10 is hard enough (I haven't seen HRC test results, but multiple CS knives in AUS8 have tested at 59 HRC) that any theoretical gap is eliminated. Pete's much less scientific cut testing (Cedric and Ada on YouTube) has documented 150 cuts with a factory AUS10 Spartan and 135 with a factory Endura (a 10% difference), so it's likely that variables like heat treat and grind geometry and finish will play a bigger role in the user experience than the material itself (coincidentally, the same thing that gets said repeatedly in every "which steel" thread). In my experience, CS has very good factory grinds and my Seki Spydercos have been "meh," so that is likely part of it.

OP: I am glad you enjoy the knife and I appreciate your enthusiasm. Sometimes knives or other stuff just click with a person. I have some (many it seems) like that as well.

The problem with "responding in-kind to a rude comment" is that if you unknowingly go too far, you can get banned from this forum. I've seen it happen many times.

At last check there are 364,870 members on this forum, chances are pretty good you're going to encounter some who rub you the wrong way.

We can't control how other people reply to our post, all we can control is how we respond to them. My advice- if someone posts something you don't like, just ignore it.

I'm glad you like the Voyager (I love my Cold Steel knives). I see nothing wrong with saying it's "the best". After all, it's just one persons opinion. It's not an edict from on high that everyone needs to agree with.
Keep in mind that all I have done here is given my opinion on a knife, and if people get their feelings hurt or angry about that, then that's their problem---not my problem. And, if I get "banned" for making a reply in my defense (a reply made without profanity or threats) to a rude comment, then this forum isn't worth my time. Thanks for chiming in nonetheless.

Back