The Iconic Buck 110 Folding Hunter

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by TAH, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I just got back from a birthday party for my grandkids and while I was there I showed my new 112 January botm and a couple of 110s I keep in my pickup to some of the guys there. Two of them were totally unaware that Buck is a family named knife manufacturer! They were assuming like many people that it was a type of knife like some call any brand of facial tissue Kleenex. Lol in some ways that’s the problem with iconic brands that it is associated with a type of product. Of course I explained that it was in fact a family name Buck and family owned company Buck knives. They were amazed and they really liked my Buck knives. Maybe they will be interested enough to go check them out and buy some.

bucksway, TAH, Old Hunter and 2 others like this.
  2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I can't tell you how many cheap Pakistani hunters I've heard people refer to as " Buck knives ".
    I was watching unsolved mysteries or something years ago and they were investigating a serial killer from the 70's.
    " His weapon of choice, a simple Buck knife " they said, and the knife that they had which was left at one of the crime scenes was a generic stag handled German import.

Now me I'm one of those guys where a " Buck knife " is made by Buck, Channellocks are tongue and groove pliers made by Channellock, a Crescent wrench is an adjustable made by Crescent, and a skillsaw is a circular saw made by Skill.
    It's probably a bit of a curse because It's such a common thing, but the use of brand names as generic terms really really annoys me.

TAH, DOGPOUND77, jmh33 and 2 others like this.
  3. GPyro

GPyro Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Here's a few
    My favorite 110, because the ebony knives are so nice.
    A drop point s30v w/ g10 from the custom shop.
    A drop point 5160 w/ g10.
    And a Colonial Coyote carbon folder I purchased as a kid. I wanted a Buck, couldn't afford it so I purchased this instead. If that knife could talk.....
    IMG_20200223_061140169~2.jpg

Aryan29, allenC, Eli Chaps and 15 others like this.
  4. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    jbmonkey and Lesknife like this.
  5. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    My solution is to run a seam about 2.5" long up the middle of my right rear pocket on all of my pants. Takes about a minute with a sewing machine. 110 carries there, doesn't hang up on seat belts, can't be felt when sitting, is much easier to access/put away than a pocket clip and doesn't advertise to world that I have a knife on me. I go all sorts of places where knives aren't allowed and nobody knows.

Yes... If I'm doing yoga it can fall out.

TAH and Wildcat like this.
  6. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    I think it's been one of the smartest moves Buck has made in a long time.

IMO, they should double-down on it.

Bastler, Lesknife, jbmonkey and 2 others like this.
  7. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    That's actually a pretty well thought out list. Not sure he got all the history right, but mostly good picks.

Was wood and brass a standard design element for Buck prior to the 110? I didn't think so.

8. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    My only issue with them is the 436 pattern blade they use,if they had a proper 110 blade I would have absolutely no complaints about them.

Bastler likes this.
  9. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I think you meant 486. I wouldnt like it if it had the standard 110 clip point. Would be much better with the 426 drop point.

jbmonkey likes this.
  10. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    While the 110's lines are iconic, they've changed over time and I think it would be a mistake to freeze it in its current state for all time. For instance, while the original blade shape (posted above in this thread) is interesting to me, I would hate it for anything other than some game cleaning. I think the 110 Slim's blade shape is the natural progression of the 110's lines for a more current market.

But then, I strongly advocate that Buck offer a wide variety of blade shapes and grinds in the 110 frame. I would love to see a full flat (not the current saber flat) drop point. Would also love to see a full flat current clip point. And would love to see the more modern modified clip available in both the traditional frame and the new Slim frame. And I would like to see the Slim in the Custom Shop along with all of the blade options I mentioned.

IMO, the 110 is a classic and should be thought of as a "family" of knives that all bear a family resemblance to each other, despite their minor variations. That seems to be the primary lesson of this thread. Lots of knives. All 110s.

allenC, Eli Chaps, Old Hunter and 3 others like this.
  11. Makael

Makael Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Here is Ode to the future :D
    20200226_200850.jpg 20200226_200900.jpg 20200226_200910.jpg 20200226_200945.jpg 15827768083697554888769480168874.jpg

12. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    Makael likes this.
  13. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    The camo Nylon sheath is cool.

TAH likes this.
  14. DDDWho

DDDWho

Aug 21, 2015
    Mine from about 1975

[​IMG]

vba, Aryan29, Old Hunter and 7 others like this.
  15. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    To pin point that beauty a little more, I'm guessing 1978 or later due to the 3 brass pins and their larger size. Great looking knife. Love those classic square bolsters! :)

16. farm

farm Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

May 29, 2019
    • Buck 110 over 110 (clip and modified clip point)
    Metal work done by Joe Houser and handle by David Yellow horse

Nickel sliver bolster and spacer

Handle iron wood, turquoise , red coral and mother of pearl 303F018B-6C38-4A46-AACF-ACAA571875F7.jpeg

17. bucksway

bucksway Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2007
    My absolute latest 110..Could this be a new trend? 20200227_200457.jpg

Aryan29, Old Hunter, farm and 5 others like this.
  18. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    never too late to start being a 110 collector.:D

bucksway, TAH and Makael like this.
  19. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    exactly.

jbmonkey likes this.