The Iconic Buck 110 Folding Hunter

I just got back from a birthday party for my grandkids and while I was there I showed my new 112 January botm and a couple of 110s I keep in my pickup to some of the guys there. Two of them were totally unaware that Buck is a family named knife manufacturer! They were assuming like many people that it was a type of knife like some call any brand of facial tissue Kleenex. Lol in some ways that’s the problem with iconic brands that it is associated with a type of product. Of course I explained that it was in fact a family name Buck and family owned company Buck knives. They were amazed and they really liked my Buck knives. Maybe they will be interested enough to go check them out and buy some.

I just got back from a birthday party for my grandkids and while I was there I showed my new 112 January botm and a couple of 110s I keep in my pickup to some of the guys there. Two of them were totally unaware that Buck is a family named knife manufacturer! They were assuming like many people that it was a type of knife like some call any brand of facial tissue Kleenex. Lol in some ways that’s the problem with iconic brands that it is associated with a type of product. Of course I explained that it was in fact a family name Buck and family owned company Buck knives. They were amazed and they really liked my Buck knives. Maybe they will be interested enough to go check them out and buy some.
I can't tell you how many cheap Pakistani hunters I've heard people refer to as " Buck knives ".
I was watching unsolved mysteries or something years ago and they were investigating a serial killer from the 70's.
" His weapon of choice, a simple Buck knife " they said, and the knife that they had which was left at one of the crime scenes was a generic stag handled German import.

Now me I'm one of those guys where a " Buck knife " is made by Buck, Channellocks are tongue and groove pliers made by Channellock, a Crescent wrench is an adjustable made by Crescent, and a skillsaw is a circular saw made by Skill.
It's probably a bit of a curse because It's such a common thing, but the use of brand names as generic terms really really annoys me.

I've carried in the thigh pocket before, works pretty well except if I have to sit in the floor or lie on the ground. Then it just falls out! Which is why I've been considering adding a pocket clip to mine. Just have to avoid the pins.

My solution is to run a seam about 2.5" long up the middle of my right rear pocket on all of my pants. Takes about a minute with a sewing machine. 110 carries there, doesn't hang up on seat belts, can't be felt when sitting, is much easier to access/put away than a pocket clip and doesn't advertise to world that I have a knife on me. I go all sorts of places where knives aren't allowed and nobody knows.

Yes... If I'm doing yoga it can fall out.

I think it's been one of the smartest moves Buck has made in a long time.

IMO, they should double-down on it.
My only issue with them is the 436 pattern blade they use,if they had a proper 110 blade I would have absolutely no complaints about them.

My only issue with them is the 436 pattern blade they use,if they had a proper 110 blade I would have absolutely no complaints about them.
I think you meant 486. I wouldnt like it if it had the standard 110 clip point. Would be much better with the 426 drop point.

While the 110's lines are iconic, they've changed over time and I think it would be a mistake to freeze it in its current state for all time. For instance, while the original blade shape (posted above in this thread) is interesting to me, I would hate it for anything other than some game cleaning. I think the 110 Slim's blade shape is the natural progression of the 110's lines for a more current market.

But then, I strongly advocate that Buck offer a wide variety of blade shapes and grinds in the 110 frame. I would love to see a full flat (not the current saber flat) drop point. Would also love to see a full flat current clip point. And would love to see the more modern modified clip available in both the traditional frame and the new Slim frame. And I would like to see the Slim in the Custom Shop along with all of the blade options I mentioned.

IMO, the 110 is a classic and should be thought of as a "family" of knives that all bear a family resemblance to each other, despite their minor variations. That seems to be the primary lesson of this thread. Lots of knives. All 110s.

While the 110's lines are iconic, they've changed over time and I think it would be a mistake to freeze it in its current state for all time. For instance, while the original blade shape (posted above in this thread) is interesting to me, I would hate it for anything other than some game cleaning. I think the 110 Slim's blade shape is the natural progression of the 110's lines for a more current market.

But then, I strongly advocate that Buck offer a wide variety of blade shapes and grinds in the 110 frame. I would love to see a full flat (not the current saber flat) drop point. Would also love to see a full flat current clip point. And would love to see the more modern modified clip available in both the traditional frame and the new Slim frame. And I would like to see the Slim in the Custom Shop along with all of the blade options I mentioned.

IMO, the 110 is a classic and should be thought of as a "family" of knives that all bear a family resemblance to each other, despite their minor variations. That seems to be the primary lesson of this thread. Lots of knives. All 110s.
Here is Ode to the future :D
20200226_200850.jpg 20200226_200900.jpg 20200226_200910.jpg 20200226_200945.jpg15827768083697554888769480168874.jpg

The camo Nylon sheath is cool.

Reactions: TAH
Mine from about 1975

To pin point that beauty a little more, I'm guessing 1978 or later due to the 3 brass pins and their larger size. Great looking knife. Love those classic square bolsters! :)

Back