The Just Hanging Out Thread.

bikerector bikerector you should look at Valve Corporation and Zappos for case studies in flat organizational structure.

Both are mentioned in my text, along with the supplemental material. I think we have a research paper on one of those two, coincidentally, as a part of a case study group assignment. Thanks for the tips. Maybe I have a research paper tomorrow, maybe I'll have to dig them up for that. It's always nice to use relevant info for research assignments instead of just checking the boxes for the grade.

Both are mentioned in my text, along with the supplemental material. I think we have a research paper on one of those two, coincidentally, as a part of a case study group assignment. Thanks for the tips. Maybe I have a research paper tomorrow, maybe I'll have to dig them up for that. It's always nice to use relevant info for research assignments instead of just checking the boxes for the grade.
Valve’s management has been a hot topic in the software engineering community over the years. Some relevant hacker news posts: https://hn.algolia.com/?q=valve+flat

Yeah, I think it’s great! It’s got to be the best bang for the buck out there. $35 for a Taiwan made SRK is crazy, IDK how it’s even profitable. The shortened ricasso is such an improvement, too, I never wanted one until they finally fixed that issue.
3v SRK available are such a cheap price I think that I’m going to have to get that as well. (And a Todor to follow)

If you're cool with a smaller knife, the 3V pendleton hunter is a great knife (did I buy one off of you, or someone with with a similar looking avatar?).

I still think the kabar utility fighting knife is one of the best values out there, for a USA made product. I still need to get a dog's head version after giving away the kabar USMC I got in the thread to a guy looking for a boar hunting knife on the cheap. Sharpened the swedge for him, those are mean knives with a sharpened clip.

Last edited:
I you're cool with a smaller knife, the 3V pendleton hunter is a great knife (did I buy one off of you, or someone with with a similar looking avatar?

Not from me, lol? Good suggestion though. I’m rethinking maybe just keep this SK5 SRK to beat the hell out of, and maybe split the difference and get the Master Hunter in 3v and maybe ditch the F1 I have.

Is the golden eye a good knife.

Depends how you define good. I love the grippiness of the handle, and unlike other CS handles it shouldn't be a pocket shredder. But overall, to me, it's either too "tall" for how thin it is, or too thin for how tall it is, if that makes any sense. Other than that, rock solid Tri-Ad lock and S35VN steel, so if the blade length is right for you, definitely worth a try.

Hey Deinos Deinos I know you appreciate small fixed blades. I got this Strider Zipper today and it’s really small and slicey. I thought the Drover was small but this takes the trophy.

74775781-EC94-4E75-BF69-8F7F0F6BCE13.jpeg BB249BFF-6857-4555-B16D-528A183A78DD.jpeg

edit to add: yes I am rocking corduroy because it cold

Hey everybody, I’m curious about how many of us are using the knives that we received from the pay it forward thread.

For example, I received a Swiss Army knife clone that I reach for almost every single day. Surprising really. Here I have knives worth $80 to $120 and I am reaching for a clone knife worth just a few bucks.

I also received a Benchmade 550 that I have big plans for once the Jeep is fixed and holidays are over.

Currently wearing the Casio 5600 I got on the PIF.
Pretty sure I'll always have one of these from now on.
I used the Kellam I got this weekend to make apple pie today, lol!

Last edited:
I'm going to use the knife, I got to cut up Angus beef tomorrow for supper, it cuts very good, and it's the right size.

Depends how you define good. I love the grippiness of the handle, and unlike other CS handles it shouldn't be a pocket shredder. But overall, to me, it's either too "tall" for how thin it is, or too thin for how tall it is, if that makes any sense. Other than that, rock solid Tri-Ad lock and S35VN steel, so if the blade length is right for you, definitely worth a try.
thank you for the reply,I ask because it looks like it can cut good but I don't like back locks.

Currently wearing the Casio 5600 I got on the PIF.
Pretty sure I'll always have one of these from now on.
I used the Kellam I got this weekend to make apple pie today, lol!
Wearing my 5600 as well. Mine was military issued in 2002. One battery change and still going.

Hey everybody, I’m curious about how many of us are using the knives that we received from the pay it forward thread.

For example, I received a Swiss Army knife clone that I reach for almost every single day. Surprising really. Here I have knives worth $80 to $120 and I am reaching for a clone knife worth just a few bucks.

I also received a Benchmade 550 that I have big plans for once the Jeep is fixed and holidays are over.

I EDC the leatherman wave in my man bag. I have a sunwayman light that sits on my desk and is used for evening/night walks with the fam or dog when the lantern is excessive. The boker techtool gets used probably once a week and sits on my home desk as well. The Milwaukee driver has been part of two small home projects, tearing down a desk and installing an over-the range microwave. I may be forgetting something but I think those are the big ones. I used the drover quite a bit before putting it back into the pool once I started buying and designing some customs to replace it, but that one certainly is keeper worthy.

I have a ripple and baby Jess horn from the thread that are part of weekly rotation and a mule which is my only fixed blade now after I put a landi into the pif.

thank you for the reply,I ask because it looks like it can cut good but I don't like back locks.

Consider the buck sprint or sprint pro. As long as you're not left handed and the clip doesn't bother you (angled badly for some an no left carry option) it's a great knife for EDC duty work, IMO. Similar blade shape to the goldeneye, but favors slicey and finesse vs the robustness of the goldeneye. I really like both, but for different reasons.

I'll have to think about the rest, but the Benchmade rescue hook from sabre cat sabre cat gets carried on my bag everyday with hopes it never gets used ;)

Back