The Knife of 2014

For me it is my more maker. Got this at a Feedstore for about $50.00.

Roger

2014 was a wonderful year. I acquired some amazing new (and old) knives; most I bought, but several were generous gifts from good friends. :)

With regard to the knife that I ended up carrying the most, it would likely be this ebony slim calf roper.

imagejpg1_zps654d2d20.jpg

I like to change my carry on an almost daily basis, but this one found its way into my pocket the most. When I went on a couple longer trips in '14 and carried only a single knife, the slim 66 was the one I chose.

Happy new year to all of you.

Tomato acrylic was the one I carried around. Well most of the time. Looks a little scruffy now but who cares. It's comfortable.

Fine knife Stephen, lot of solid elegance. I too enjoy the 66 Slim pattern, carrying one in Red Sawn Bone and storing another in acrylic.

Thanks, Will

The knife that garnered the most pocket time was a surprise to me. The surprise wasn't that I enjoyed the knife but that I got it in the Epic TC Barlow Give Away. The second surprise was that the Sheep Foot has fast become a favorite blade profile for me. The pen in front with blackwood is such a great configuration. This knife will probably remain a favorite for as long as I can foresee.

Chris

I have really enjoyed these three this year.

The 15 has probably seen the most pocket time, I have also had it the longest tho. The 55 is giving it a run for the money and the Ebony 73 is just an awesome knife. I really like this 73, so much so that I am thinking about turning loose of a couple of dollars and having a nice sheath made for it.
The knife of my year tho is this Cold Steel Ozark Hunter, gifted to me by a kind and generous forum member that I have never had the pleasure of meeting.

The Ozark Hunter has been my Grail knife for a while now. I wanted one once I first layed eyes on them but they are hard to come by. I haven't carried or used it yet, not sure I ever will, but I sure am proud of it.

Jim

My 2014 knife was a Queen stockman. Love the bone on this one and the D2 steel is great

I had to think about it, but I am pretty sure the only new knife (traditional) for me in 2014 was the Forum Knife, so that would have to be it.
That is fine with me, it's probably the most carried since I got it as well. I was initially disappointed with the action on it, but after cleaning, oiling, sharpening, and use it is smooth and snappy. I'd say it is giving the 2011 a run for it's money in build quality.

15547153031_5654ee25a5_b.jpg

If I can find a knife this good in 2015, one will be enough again his year.

I like mine too but it came out a little late. I did pocket mine quite a bit since receiving it.

What a fine way to spend Friday morning, sipping my first cup of coffee and reading this thread with all the great pieces folks are loving. Each one makes me say "Wow, I can see why that is your favorite!". Here is mine, a Case Sowbelly in CV steel that I bought from a forum member in August. It has been my constant carry since then, and has been dubbed "The Beloved Sowbelly". It was unused when I got it, and has encouraged me to eat more apples, developing a nice patina in the process.

This is an easy choice my 2014 & 2015 knife.
This Railsplitter just looks like a work horse and gets more pocket time than all the others. It is my go to if I know I am going to be using a knife a lot that day. The D2 has never failed to get the job done and does it with out needing to be touched up when I'm done.

Queenthunderbolt_zps41f341e5.jpg

Well my most carried knife of 2014 has to be the Radio Jack in Chesnut bone. Sorry bout not having a pic but my other computer is being worked on right now.

I already posted my knife purchase of the year, but my most carried knife of the year is a lot harder. I have two dozen knives in a leather case that I carry regularly, and I change about every 2-3 days, so it's very difficult to know what I carried the most. But it is surely one of these three.

Queen #9 Large Stockman in curly zebrawood
CZ9-2.jpg~original

Robeson ShurEdge Rochester #822105 Equal End Jack in butter & molasses celluloid
GampMopen_zps39a30cbb.jpg~original

Northfield #85 Bullet Jack in burnt stag
StagonWood_zps575f5bb1.jpg~original

For 2014, these two could be found in my pockets. The barlow being the most carried.

Soon to change now that I have purchased a 66 calf roper in red saw bone and this;

Without a doubt, a #15 with caplifter:

IMG_6784.jpg~original

I ordered this one immediately upon realizing I would have need of a screwdriver here and there at work. I've since had one (re)clad in blue bone by Glennbad, as well as added one in Sunbrite (an attraction against which I have so far proven to be helpless-- an anti-Vampire).

But, the above knife, in its ebony glory, has been my companion of most days, and I don't see that changing.

R8shell made me the small sheath, perfect for my workday carry and beyond. (Thanks again, R8shell!)

Money Laundering:

image.jpg~original

~ P.

Sarah, I'm so glad you like the sheath. I enjoy working on crafty projects, and it's nice to make things that folks can use, rather than nick-knacks to gather dust.

I also have a #15 crown-lifter, and it really is handy having a tool for light prying.

Great-looking pocket sheath P. I'm also lucky enough to have one courtesy of r8shell, as well as being nicely made, they're a great design. Thanks again r8shell :thumbup:

Ha ha. All part of my nefarious plan to put a pouch in the pocket of every person on the porch!

Knife content:It does make me smile to see them pop up in pictures from time to time.:)

What a great thread! I was on the road over the New Year's holiday, and I missed this conversation. But I have enjoyed catching up!

2014 saw the end of my search for the 3rd Cut Stag Charlow:

3019b222-7e8e-40c9-88a6-258d55919ab7_zps41ec8f00.jpg

And I was fortunate to acquire the Anniversary Barlow as well.

92be6447-ce93-4d91-9504-6161ec6edc6a_zps25e714f5.jpg

But my knife of the year came from the beginning of 2014, and has been in my pocket ever since it arrived. The reasons are eloquently put in the OP. This may be the Knife of 2015 as well!

FAC60497-85C8-4ACE-BBDE-9FDDB55A3EFA_zpsyrredxmi.jpg

And that brings us 'round to where this thread started!

Back