The LRK+ Mod Discussion and Pic Thread

Starting to shape up, still a few mistakes and had a few "this isn't going to work moments, but were replaced with "it just might moments" again so i'm all good,

think I'm going to switch to a higher grade sand paper again soon

103_9881.jpg
Looking good Peter!

I do all shaping (except for the front of the scales) after they are glued on. I still have not decided what scales to put on the Tanto L.R.K.+.
Looking forward to whatever you decide on,but black would look good on a tanto IMO.(being a tactical type blade.)

I am really enjoying seeing the creativity on this knife. I still haven't decided what I'm going to use on mine. I've got some exotic woods scales and a piece or red micarta also. Who knows???

For those of you that are getting frustrated...don't. It is maddening after working for awhile on a knife and then something goes wrong.

Here's a before and after pic of an old Schrade Cut Co. I did a rebuild on a few years back. I had some beautiful smooth worn bone scales, and while trying to peen things together, I shattered the bone.

sccbarlow004.jpg

sccbarlow005.jpg

I almost cried...but I eventually got my self refocused and was able to finish the project with some nice, but not as nice bone scales...
sccbarlow007.jpg

Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack, just trying to show everyone that accidents happen. (John, I will delete my pics if you don't want them in this thread)

Glenn

Too bad about the first set cracking,but nice recovery Glenn.

Last edited:
yeah...it's a good lesson glenn. thanks for sharing.

If all else fails try some micarta or G10,it won't crack on ya.
Or practice with some scavenged wood.
I made these scales out of some oak off a pallet,nice & cheap & don't look too bad.

77c95fb5.jpg

Just don't give up like Glenn said,you'll be glad you stuck it out when you have the finished knife in your hand.

nice myke. looks good. i'll tell ya....i am starting to like the Oak handles.

Here is some scale material I'm considering for the satin LRK.
Toxic green,OD green,bright orange & GloJ from Shadetree..orange dyed burlap w/glow powder,it glows in the dark:cool:

Anyone have any ideas/preferences for color/color combos using these 4?
I also have some tan mic & black liners at work I had planned for another blank,but might use on the LRK.

037cdf96.jpg

5f9cb11e.jpg

glow in the dark. too funny. i actually do like the brick color of the GloJ

the black with thin toxic green liners would look cool. but, not sure if you have the green liners.

go with your heart myke. it's your knife. ;)

can't wait to start seeing some more WIP pics. hopefully, i should be able to start mine this coming week. i usally like liners on my knives....i just like the look. but, all i have is the 1/8". i think that will be too thick for this knife. i think i want to keep the handle pretty slim.

Looks like I missed a few posts, I check in so quickly I kinda just post a leave, sorry about that guys,

I am really enjoying seeing the creativity on this knife. I still haven't decided what I'm going to use on mine. I've got some exotic woods scales and a piece or red micarta also. Who knows???

For those of you that are getting frustrated...don't. It is maddening after working for awhile on a knife and then something goes wrong.

Here's a before and after pic of an old Schrade Cut Co. I did a rebuild on a few years back. I had some beautiful smooth worn bone scales, and while trying to peen things together, I shattered the bone.

I almost cried...but I eventually got my self refocused and was able to finish the project with some nice, but not as nice bone scales...

Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack, just trying to show everyone that accidents happen. (John, I will delete my pics if you don't want them in this thread)

Glenn

Thanks for this post, gave me some added heart as there have been more the one mistake that has had me slapping my forehead recently, knife looks fantastic at the end btw

Or practice with some scavenged wood.
I made these scales out of some oak off a pallet,nice & cheap & don't look too bad.

Just don't give up like Glenn said,you'll be glad you stuck it out when you have the finished knife in your hand.

Show off! :D Seriously though it looks good, I wish I didn't always have th inclination to jump into the deep ed because I always regret it, honestly I'm hoping mine turn out half as good as your "practice"

Here is some scale material I'm considering for the satin LRK.
Toxic green,OD green,bright orange & GloJ from Shadetree..orange dyed burlap w/glow powder,it glows in the dark:cool:

Anyone have any ideas/preferences for color/color combos using these 4?
I also have some tan mic & black liners at work I had planned for another blank,but might use on the LRK.

I like the burlap, but thats because I enjoy the word, I suck at picking color combos so i won't bother trying, I agree with TPVT on this one

go with your heart myke. it's your knife. ;)

can't wait to start seeing some more WIP pics. hopefully, i should be able to start mine this coming week. i usally like liners on my knives....i just like the look. but, all i have is the 1/8". i think that will be too thick for this knife. i think i want to keep the handle pretty slim.

I think your right, and I tend toward thiner handles as well. As you say I need to glue and get on with final sanding, enough lip biting!

They are about 1/8 thicker the perfect right now which is probably to close, but it won't get better if i keep sanding and take off more with the 120 grit :D

Progress pic:
103_9892.jpg

Looks like it's coming along nicely. I like the contours.

Glenn

Looks like I missed a few posts, I check in so quickly I kinda just post a leave, sorry about that guys,

Thanks for this post, gave me some added heart as there have been more the one mistake that has had me slapping my forehead recently, knife looks fantastic at the end btw

Show off! :D Seriously though it looks good, I wish I didn't always have th inclination to jump into the deep ed because I always regret it, honestly I'm hoping mine turn out half as good as your "practice"

I like the burlap, but thats because I enjoy the word, I suck at picking color combos so i won't bother trying, I agree with TPVT on this one

I think your right, and I tend toward thiner handles as well. As you say I need to glue and get on with final sanding, enough lip biting!

They are about 1/8 thicker the perfect right now which is probably to close, but it won't get better if i keep sanding and take off more with the 120 grit :D

Progress pic:
103_9892.jpg
Thanks Peter,that's coming along nicely,great contures & the walnut burl sure is looking good.

Thanks guys, sorry to be posting so much, seem to be taking up the thread a little but it'l be through son, (lets hope) can't wait to see more of you guys' efforts :)

103_9952.jpg

Going to "round it" out a bit more then start progression on to 220, 320, 400, 600

Post it for sale?I thought it was an order!
Lets see that puppy.

Dang & I just scored a Skookum Bush Tool the other day so can't jump on it.

Can't wait to see the tanto

Here's todays update
Finished with the 120 (hopefully)
103_9955.jpg

Started on the 220
103_9967.jpg

See any difference? :D Feels all nice and powdery soft :p

Back