The magic of the Insingo.

Bumped for my buddy Gull Wing. I might update this thread at some point. Have a few more observations about these knives now that I own both sizes, and have had many many many weeks of carry. They are still much loved by me, and I think anyone who admires practical cutlery design (like I know Gull Wing does :)), will like these knives, large or small.

Here is a pic that shows the Drop Point 21 (left) and Insingo (right) side-by-side. I think it is visible how much thinner the Insingo blade is.

DSCF7015_zps7b3d58f8.jpg

I do believe you're biased kidcongo ;) just kiddin'. The more I look at the CRK designs the more of the little details that don't become apparent till you've owned and used one for a while.

My first CRK was a small plain Jane 21 and when I been carryin' it every day the little things become more obvious. Like the found of the spine, that little detail makes it more comfortable when you put your finger on the spine to give you more control while doin' fine cuttin' tasks like cuttin' templates and trimmin' maskin' tape.

The fact that the blade to handle ratio is higher than any other comparably sized knife. The blade tip/point breaks the plane of the Ti scales before you barely nudge the thumb stud into it's arc. The jimping on the back of the blade and the little bit of tang that protrudes beyond the front of the scales/handles allow you to flick your Sebenza open kinda like flickin' your bic lighter.

They broke all the sharp edges except the one that should be sharp. The high hollow grind makes it a great slicer and easy to keep sharp. Is it the perfect knife? Of course not but it's damn close. Is it everyone's cup of tea? Of course not but everyone who's serious about knives and usin' them every day owes it to themselves to at least try one out for more than a few days. Which brings me to another point, the resale value, one of the few knives that holds it's value for resale.

It took me 25 years to get my first Sebenza and it had been through many evolutions before I got my small 21. Now that I've carried it for a few years if anything were to ever happen to it I would sell knives to replace it, something I'd never been willing to do before. Call me a fanboy if you want, all I can say is it's a damn great knife, thanks Chris Reeves and company. :)

ETA, now what can I trade for an Insingo?

Well, I would argue I am biased for good reason at least. I agree with your points. I am lucky to have several CRKs, and am lucky that my job requires constant and consistent use of a knife, in many different scenarios. Other than my Mnandi, My Maplebenza, and my one Damascus 21, the other examples I own get weeks of pocket time. Anyone who hates on CRK for anything other than cost is really missing out. Collectors who catch and release these knives never really get a chance to understand their real worth. Lets face it.......if the idea of the 21 was primarily "pocket jewelry" they wouldn't have that annoying "locating hole" in the slabs. Anyways.....getting off topic, but the pure functionality of most of CRK designs sets them apart. My Spyderco Southard is a good example. It's a great looking knife, and extremely well built, and flips like crazy, but is a terrible knife as a cutting tool. The blade is super thick with a short hollow grind and a huge fat tip, terrible ergonomics, and belly that doesn't really work like belly. When I carry my Southard I only do it cause it is fun to play with. Every time I go to use it for anything I think "this knife is a dumb design". I value my CRKs because when I put them to use, I have these moments when I think "aha.....that's why these knives were designed like this......what a great tool".

I had not seen this thread until you bumped it today. Awesome read. I like your initial write up!

I have always loved sheepsfoot / wharncliffe blades, but the Insingo is definitely the best among those I've used. Large or small, it's just a perfect blade shape for EDC tasks. Comfortable and efficient, always.

I don't have the ability to post photos, but my plain large Insingo is my favorite one-handed EDC knife. Been my EDC since last year. I also have a small that I got a couple months earlier and like it, too. But for me, the large Insingo is where it's at. Occasionally I'll switch it out with a different knife clipped to my pocket and used for a day or two, but then I start missing the large Insingo.

The Insingo actually has a finer tip than, say, my old Regular Sebenza. The Regular's blade is actually noticeably thicker, including at the tip. So IMO, even though the Insingo's blade is a modified sheepsfoot/wharncliffe, the tip is not necessarily 'stronger' than on a standard Sebenza. My Insingo's blade with its thinner grind has superior cutting geometry than my old Regular.

Jim

Realize I bumped this for Gull Wing, but he was asking about the Inkosi, not the Insingo........back to Zulu school for me. :eek:

I recently bought a regular small 21 with micarta and this thread is making me regret my purchase :(

I believe the small insingo is one of the very best EDC knives. It just cuts and cuts and can pierce as good as any type of point. I do like my large regular 21 but the small needs to be a insingo.

I had 2, 1 left
the first is much pointier, the second I sold was like yours, more stubby

it is definitely a great design, in the PS even more!

Is one of yours large and the other one small? I wasn't aware there were differences in grind angles for the Insingos. Mine seems on the stubbier side!

+1 on the dammy Insingo....AND in the Inkosi frame too;) I keep holding out on getting another Insingo....threads like this do not make it easy:(

Last edited:
Back