The Mini Hatchet

Another hatchet fan. I much prefer a saw for larger tasks, and I am not building log cabins when I head out into the woods. I do not need, nor would I be allowed on most any public land, to fell standing trees.

A Laplander folding saw and a GB Wildlife and a Mora will handle any cutting task I have on a typical camping trip.

I have the GB which I keep shaving sharp and kind of baby. I use it for shaping and carving wood mostly. I have a Fishers hatchet that I treat like a red headed stepchild.

DY0w4pPl.jpg

ngC4S5Jl.jpg

hhxpuK0l.jpg

C3rjkbgl.jpg

Jzr2NP1l.jpg

got this one recently. Nice thin blade. The rounded poll craftsman mini appears to have a thicker wedge shape blade.
Someone did a poor job replacing the handle. I'm planning on making a handle for it and thinking it will come in handy in the kitchen.

I've had this little guy for a while now and never used it, as I haven't and maybe will never see another one. I contacted GB and they said it was made in the early 60's I'm thinking about putting up for sale on here, how much do you guys think it's worth?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444034402.330128.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444034431.542910.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444034453.670740.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444034472.647076.jpg

So these are what my NOS handle is for, I bought it for a plumb scout axe head, but it had way to big of a eye. Guess I gotta keep a eye open for one of these.

DY0w4pPl.jpg

got this one recently. Nice thin blade. The rounded poll craftsman mini appears to have a thicker wedge shape blade.
Someone did a poor job replacing the handle. I'm planning on making a handle for it and thinking it will come in handy in the kitchen.

Rockman that appears to be the same as the one I picked up. Very nice little pocket axe. Looking at the handle I'm guessing that it is the original just simply cut down. If you would like I can give you the specs of the original handle. I took a couple of swings with mine before I took the handle off and it seems very promising. You might be surprised what these little hatchets can do in the woods or around the yard given the chance but I see no reason not to put one to work in the kitchen either.

I finished the handle I was making for the Vaughan. Though I didn't get a decent picture of the finished product yet.

21343183404_1447a1ba23_k.jpg

It turned out longer than I had expected and I am thinking of rehanging it a bit lower, or perhaps just making another handle for it. Personally I think around 12 - 13" overall would be about ideal for these axes. They typically came at 10 - 11" overall from the factory.

And here is a family photo of sorts. Starting from the left you can see the difference in the bits on the minis. Currently produced Vaughan, square pole Craftsman, old red paint Vaughn, Marbles Camp Axe (Condor made), no name 14 oz hatchet these are followed by 5 normal hatchets, 3 boys axe sized heads, 1 Rockaway, and 1 Jersey. Gives a good comparison of both size and profile I think.

21916496955_77550deb08_h.jpg

I've had this little guy for a while now and never used it, as I haven't and maybe will never see another one. I contacted GB and they said it was made in the early 60's I'm thinking about putting up for sale on here, how much do you guys think it's worth?

View attachment 582445

Doesn't appear that it was ever really used. Since it is a GB and is in good shape I'm sure it would fetch a decent amount of cash. Funny thing is from what I understand Swedish axes not all that long ago were considered the budget option, now they are considered top of the line. You could easily fix the issues with the hang on that one, clean it up and put it to use. Otherwise you could sell it and use the funds to purchase a few other axe projects. It's hard to tell but what is the size on that hatchet, weight and dimensions? It almost looks like a standard scout hatchet, about a 1¼ lbs head around 5x1x3 lwh.

Yep Hacked I would appreciate you posting dimensions for the Craftsman handle. I agree on the length. I'm thinking 12" is about right.
The family photo is cool picture.

The GB is about 1lb total of that. And the handle is about 13" if I remember correctly. I'll probably put it up here first so it has a chance to go to someone who will truly appreciate it. Until I found this post I really didn't think people were into axes and hatchets as much as I am.

Rockman0 I'll have to get back to you tonight about the dimensions, I ended up caught up with work yesterday.

I did manage to snag a picture of the finished Vaughan. It's starting to grow on me a little. I may try a jute wrap on the lower part of the handle to add some girth.

21369828624_220895250f_h.jpg

i_the_prodigy that sounds like an interesting hatchet. It would be similar in size to my no name 14oz I would imagine. I have to ask because of the under bars in your handle are you a programmer of sorts? Either way you are far from the only one into axes and hatchets. Once you use a decent one its hard not to become a fanatic.

Yep Hacked I would appreciate you posting dimensions for the Craftsman handle. I agree on the length. I'm thinking 12" is about right.
The family photo is cool picture.

Okay so it took me long enough to grab some basic measurements but the original was 10" overall and 8 ½" from the bottom of the eye. I think a slightly larger handle would work out well for these.

Thanks for the dimensions, I'm with you on the longer handle, I've got a new 14" that I'm going to use. By the time I'm done overall length will be 13" or a little less.

DY0w4pPl.jpg

ngC4S5Jl.jpg

hhxpuK0l.jpg

C3rjkbgl.jpg

Jzr2NP1l.jpg

beautiful little chopper. man i would love to run across one like it.
all good

buzz

Buzz, there are 3 separate auctions running on eBay now. All have the original sheaths so they won't go cheap. I believe one is already up to 56 bucks.

I saw one of those tiny Craftsman hatchets a while back in an antique shop...they wanted $45 so I passed, but I was tempted!

Thanks for the dimensions, I'm with you on the longer handle, I've got a new 14" that I'm going to use. By the time I'm done overall length will be 13" or a little less.

Rockman0, that's exactly what I was planning on doing with mine. I'll be shooting for between 12-13 overall.

Yea the eBay auctions tend to get a little crazy. I waited patiently for a decent deal but still had to stretch my limit to pick up a couple of the vintage heads. Folks seem hung up on this idea that these are extremely rare salesman's samples. That's just not the case just about every time. There was a mini Kelly Black Raven that sold a while back, you don't want to know what that one went for.

I really like my Craftsman, its hard to tell but it's just like rockman0's. I think I may try to pick up another as it really is the nicest Mini axe I've personally seen and I enjoy using mine. The old Vaughan just doesn't compare IMO, though the steel is excellent.

Yes sir the auctions get crazy on the ones that are like new. And of course the true collectors pay some big bucks for the black ravens and other fancy embossed axes if they are in good condition. I've only got one axe that I won't use and plan on keeping it that way.

I've never held a mini Vaughan but the pics I've seen make them look a little thick compared to the craftsman. I'm looking forward to getting mine done.

A very good friend of mine gifted me a craftsman mini hatchet. Previously I had bought and reprofiled a Vaughan mini hatchet. After some work on the Vaughan it is extremely similar to the craftsman.

20151008_103047_zps4qxehz6l.jpg

The craftsman has the original handle and is much thinner in the hand than the Vaughan. I think the craftsman looks better but the Vaughan is more comfortable to use.

20151008_103547_zps61i4kruz.jpg

20151008_103428_zpscivndg2g.jpg

20151008_103639_zpszowiijgh.jpg

20151008_103703_zpsmbjstjvu.jpg

20151008_103842_zpsvsuycd6f.jpg

20151008_103749_zps8bbqybfg.jpg

20151008_103918_zpspbjkyh9s.jpg

20151008_103757_zpsay7uvnyw.jpg

20151008_103942_zpsqi94k6zv.jpg

20151008_104043_zpspirjples.jpg

20151008_104121_zpsl4ykq5t3.jpg

20151008_104140_zps7udfb7ow.jpg

Nsvens89 thanks for sharing, those are some great comparison pictures. Great addition to the thread!

I thought I would add Walters Axe Company "Midget" to this thread. It has an 11" handle. I've only seen a couple come up on ebay.

DSC00933_zpsfb2c7bf0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC00932_zpsfe1af2c7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back