The Mistress

Cobalt

Gold Member
So some time back, Cliff was trying to reach out to me about offering me his mistress. I was shocked but I know he has not really been into the knife world much as of late, concentrating on other important issues in his life. I also know that his mistress was/is another one of those special blades not just because of what it has done, but because of how it came about. I always wondered how he got his mistress before I got mine when we both ordered/called at about the same time. Well, the knife he got was actually the shop test model; "I still have my original Battle Mistress, which is very rare as it was a shop knife, not ever meant for sale - which I only really got after personally talking to Busse."

Well, it arrived yesterday after a painful wait. opened the box and ummph. The knife and sheath smelled like they had been dragged through a Hippo watering hole full of @#%. I spent the next hour cleaning the knife and sheath. The knife managed to bite me pretty good, so now we are friends. The sheath is another story. It is still soaking in dawn and how water. The smell will not come out. I am surprised at how good she looks after cleaning. You can tell that the dimples were removed at the factory by hand as she is thick. So this one is similar to an LE in blade finish. But lacks the ground bolts and a number. Anyway here she is in all her dirtyness:

PLDSmB8.jpg

toDk632.jpg

And after a thorough cleaning:

uW3xwDZ.jpg

I really like those handles...plus I'm super surprised that the blade actually looks that good...:)
is this the one he said he knocked the shoulder down?

Last edited:
Here is an old post by Cliff on the knife.

[QUOTE="Cliff Stamp I have a lot of wood working to do, clear a few lots, cut wood for the winter etc., and generally it isn't overly exciting so I usually take some knives and break up the tedium by doing other things. I was mainly interested if the edge on the knife could take harder limbing as I had adjusted it to a fairly thin 8/12 profile :

shbm_limbs.jpg

I did a lot of sloppy work like that and did finally manage to turn the edge just to the point where I was almost positive it was bent. I later confirmed it when I sharpened it as you can see where it is abraded, but it took an extended sesstion of sloppy limbing on really hard work to turn the edge and even then it was very slight. That is the best performance I have seen to date, and this is a large blade and it hits really hard.

I also did a bunch of finer work, including some really thin splitting :

shbm_splits.jpg

Some of these spints are actually as thin as the individual rings of the wood. I was reminded then of the weak points of the grip as the choil could really benefit from extensive rounding. That is just green guard tape on the handle, I was experimenting with really thick grips when I put it on and I put rubber tape under the green tape as an underlay to absorb shock, it works well and the grip feels much like the rubber Swamp Rat grips.

With the splits and all those limbs and boughs it was no trouble getting a fire going, I started it on a pit used last years to burn some boughs :

shbm_fire.jpg

I also did some digging to check the water levels as the ground here is fairly peaty :

shbm_water.jpg

You can't dig it very easily with a stick, there are way too many roots. It is much easier to use a knife to cut all the roots out of the way and pry up the rocks. Nothing serious to the knife, the edge was a little impacted in the tip from working it under the rocks. The water came in very rapid. I took out a gallon and just minutes later it was that level again.

For those not familiar with the design, that is an older straight handled Battle Mistress, the current evolution of the design is the Fusion model which has a similar blade but radically different grip.

-Cliff
[QUOTE="Cliff Stamp, The edge bevels are really dramatic, the edge is 0.070" thick and 0.25" wide, yeah that isn't a typo, it is eight degrees per side. It was actually this angle origionally for the entire bevel but I found the edge would turn on harder knots in the winter when I was cutting frozen wood and thus the edge retention was low so I increased it to 12 by adding a secondary bevel which sets in at about 0.040" or so. You can't see a distinction in the bevels by eye, I just freehand sharpen it on flat stones and it all blends together.

The origional profile was about 35 degrees included and I kept grinding it down trying to see when it would start to get damaged. It was very difficult to reduce it to eight per side, I was working in the slack above the platen on a belt sander and this angle is so low that you end up grinding the spine as well so there is a big strip of metal removed from the knife there as well. It is much easier to grind on the platen, but back when I modifed it I found it easier to work on the slack section of the belt.

The ground isn't soft to walk on, you won't sink in it for example, however most of it is moss covered which means hauling the wood out can be problematic because there is little traction. You also have to be fairly careful when carrying wood due to the footing, I broke one of the bones in my feet awhile back when I stepped on a sharp rock which shifted which I didn't see as it was covered in that thick moss. The biggest problem for cutting wood is that if the roots run through that ground the tree is loosely held in place thus it will move with the axe which not only severely limits penetration it makes it fairly dangerous, especially if the wood is hard.

I am helping a friend clear a lot to build and also clearing family owned land for wood to burn which will eventually be developed for building lots. However it will likely be grown back in by the time that happens as there is a lot of wood owned by our familiy locally and there are lots that were cleared a long time ago which are now heavily grown back in again.

-Cliff
________

[QUOTE="Cliff Stamp, Length of the blade vs width of the bit, so 10" vs 3". The best way I have found is to just do just straight push cuts with the axe because you can't sweep much through a few inches. In terms of time it is still well behind the blade and even more in regards to the fatigue rate. They are not in the same class, it is a many to one difference in terms of overall functinality.

Doing some more work with the Battle Mistress, I had intended to spend some time burning debris but it stopped raining so I spent some time clean up instead, just getting rid of brush, small wood and debris to make axe work easier. A before shot :

shbm_before.jpg

A long blade is much more efficient here than a axe, saw or small blade, and even than all of them combined. It easily cuts away the brush deftly, chops through the larger sticks as necessary in a few seconds and prys up the roots when necessary or hacks through them. Some of this is old fencing as well so it readily works as a prybar popping the sections off of the nails. It only takes about 15 minutes to turn the above into :

shbm_after.jpg

I spent about an hour doing that on one side of the lot before doing some more chopping and limbing comparisons. The knife made it ease to haul out massive amounts of material with the combined ability to cut small brush, chop heavy wood and hammer/pry as necessary :

shbm_debris.jpg

I have made a bunch of lean-tos and debris shelters as well as other things like elevated platform beds, there are pictures of them in the reviews. In general there is no reason to work with larger wood and it is far less efficient both in cutting it down, moving it plus preparing it. A regular debris shelter is actually fairly robust, I have seen them several years later being still perfectly fine. The only general concern is the vegetation tends to dry and rot so it needs to be replaced. But even without cordage to keep the frame together, it has no problem handing the elements.

-Cliff

Last edited:
Wow! That is an incredible piece of INFI history right there! If you ever decide to part with her, you know who to contact. I'll be happy to take sloppy thirds. :D:D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow, what a piece of history! :eek: The knife looks great after being cleaned. Congratulations! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

ps, If the dish soap does not remove the smell from the sheath, maybe try some Febreze spray.

That is just serious Busse Combat history piece right there !!!!!!! Congrats !!!!!!!!

You may try placing the sheath in a sealed container (dry) with either coffee grounds or baking soda.

I don't know guys, the sheath smells like elephant azz

More from the same thread from cliff about his work with this knife. He did play with angles a lot with this knife

[QUOTE="Cliff Stamp,
As Joe noted years back there is a pretty large cutting difference between 20 and 15, there is even a larger difference between 15 and 10, consider that 15 is actually 50% heavier than 10, the knives really won't feel similar at those angles. One of the most obvious differences after adjusting the bevel to that level of a relef grind is that for brush work the limbs will start to be cut off rather than chopped off because the level of push cutting ability is so high it doesn't require a lot of force to cut through the wood. There will also be a big difference in feedback because the cuts are so smooth.

There is a lot of farm land which has been grown over, so only has 30-50 years of new growth but that is pretty easy to spot and isn't the case here. There is a marsh fairly close to this spot in particular, but as noted it isn't an uncommon type of ground in general. Some more splitting :

shbm_batoning.jpg

The Battle Mistress does this very well, the first few splits need a baton but after this the shingles and wedges can be chop split and there are no problem making shingles less than 1/4" thick and pencil sized sticks. On longer woods the shingles make great construction material and one piece of wood can cover a lot of surface area. They can be further split for various uses as well. An upside down figure four :

shbm_figure_four.jpg

which can be used for a mangle trap, easily filled out with stakes from all the small splits. A one pin toggle trigger :

shbm_toggle.jpg

This is one of the most annoying things I have done wood working wise. That was the best rock I could find and it was horrible as the surface was very uneven and the rock oddly shaped so it was difficult to balance and a one pin toggle is trivial to set up compared to a figure four. This is where a saw is really nice as it is easy to make even surfaces, batoning a knife through works as well, but a saw can be much cleaner and more even.

-Cliff

Last edited:
Odors are tough to get rid of. If the above doesn’t work. You can try a product called odoban. Wash the sheath down with it, it’s strong so I’d dilute it first.

interesting, will do. It is soaking in dawn right now. The inside of the sheath had all kinds of crap in it, mud little rocks etc.

Find someone with a small Ozone Generator. Put it in a box with the sheath, seal the box, and run it.

Car Dealers use Ozone Generators to get the smell out of cars that were owned by chainsmokers. It will take a day, or two.

Degreasing first, with a degreaser or strong (hand) Dishwashing Soap is a good idea

Find someone with a small Ozone Generator. Put it in a box with the sheath, seal the box, and run it.

Car Dealers use Ozone Generators to get the smell out of cars that were owned by chainsmokers. It will take a day, or two.

Degreasing first, with a degreaser or strong (hand) Dishwashing Soap is a good idea

Exactly what I would recommend! I have a small one you can borrow Cobalt Cobalt if you want to give it a try. Let me know if you're interested, and we can meet up somewhere.

Back