The Mistress

Weren't the older Cold Steel knives actually made by Camillus? Most of mine are of the "Carbon V" steel; a few years ago at Blade I sat down next to Lynn Thompson in the refreshment area in the back. I asked him how the new steel being used in the Cold Steel line compared to the old, and his reply was "not as good".
So what happened to that Carbon V steel? Why would they change something that was working?

That article in the "Proof of Busse Superiority" thread pinned at the top of the page puts CS Carbon V in the same class as INFI - i.e. a proprietary steel exclusive to one company that has some very good properties.
http://www.tzknives.com/question-and-answer-infi/

The writer does go into more detail when discussing INFI but that article alone made me curious to the point where I almost grabbed one off the exchange a few weeks back or so. With you guys (who obviously know good knives) now telling me that most of you have some blades in that configuration, I think I'm going to have to pick one up to check it out.

Is the Trailmaster the way to go? Any of you guys have an extra?

Apparently 0170-6 (Carbon V) was made by Sharon Steels, who had a patent on it and went bankrupt with the patent still in place. This caused Cold Steel/Camillus to switch to 0170-6C, also sold as "Carbon V."

I believe the 1095CV (Cro Van) used by Becker/Ka-Bar is the same as the original Carbon V. 50-110B is another alias, all this info per Z-Knives.

Weren't the older Cold Steel knives actually made by Camillus? Most of mine are of the "Carbon V" steel; a few years ago at Blade I sat down next to Lynn Thompson in the refreshment area in the back. I asked him how the new steel being used in the Cold Steel line compared to the old, and his reply was "not as good".

Yeah, this makes sense. In the 90's CS knives had a great rep. I do think the san mai line is their best lineup currently.

Their 3V line looks good, but my concern is in the HT. I also noticed that they are selling trailmasters made of A2 steel, which I did not know they made. Of course this could be a seller site typo as well. I know it is typically O1 these days. or was.

Had an old TM. IIRC sold it to gravelface.

I still have a san mai TM. Sold my 90's TM's and sent one to Cliff of course. The biggest improvement in the TM is the fact they they radius the tang transition now. The 90's and early 2000's TM and recon scouts did not have radiused transitions. I think the change was made in the last 4-6 years. I remember seeing a picture of one with handle cut off and it had been radiused.

Oh, the smell is finally gone from the sheath, along with about a quarter pound of mud that was inside the sheath. Not sure what he did that the sheath was so full of mud.

That’s good news !!! Nothing worse than a smelly sheath :-(
Some things are better left unasked lol !!! Smell is gone leave it at that :)

Oh, the smell is finally gone from the sheath, along with about a quarter pound of mud that was inside the sheath. Not sure what he did that the sheath was so full of mud.

So the only thing I can think of that’s consistent with all the evidence goes like this...

During a weekend of testing knives at his rustic cabin in the woods, Cliff visits the privy. When he’s done he stands up and before he thinks to secure the mistress on his belt, the weight of it drops with enough force that the belt slips its beltloop and deposits the knife and sheath in the “mud”.

A little while later he thinks to call his old friend Cobalt. “Hi Dennis. My brother decided he doesn’t want my Battle Mistress after all. Did you still want it?”

Last edited:
So the only thing I can think of that’s consistent with all the evidence goes like this...

During a weekend of testing knives at his rustic cabin in the woods, Cliff visits the privy. When he’s done he stands up and before he thinks to secure the mistress on his belt, the weight of it drops with enough force that the belt slips its beltloop and deposits the knife and sheath in the “mud”.

A little while later he thinks to call his old friend Cobalt. “Hi Dennis. My brother decided he doesn’t want my Battle Mistress after all. Did you still want it?”

HAHA. That may be exactly how it went. And here I am touching it and putting my face and nose right up to it.

Looked like mud ya say?

well, you're kinda right...:eek:

tenor.gif

Back