1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

The Mistress

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Cobalt, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Do you know if this one was one of the higher hardness pieces?

Ironkid883, WatermanChris and Cobalt like this.
  2. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    Ok, if the smell does not come out after all I have done, maybe I can try it.

Ironkid883 and WatermanChris like this.
  3. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    I do not know. If it was a shop test model, it could have been anything, but I am betting it is probably set at 61-62 like all the other SHBM's. But I am going to test it. Mainly because of all the grinding he did. This old INFI was very resistant to heat due to the elements, Cobalt and Nickel, so I doubt there is any heat damage.

4. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2018
    That thing has been battered and beaten in the frozen tundra of Newfoundland and came back asking for more. I seriously doubt there is anything us mere mortals could do to her that she couldn't shrug off like a HOG shrugging off a mosquito.

I am definitely in for a passaround with that girl. Did Cliff name her? She needs a name.

Ironkid883 and Cobalt like this.
  5. lex2006

lex2006 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2014
    That sure is a great piece of history to have Cobalt. Cliff sure did not care what it look like with that handle mod though
    Anyways try some borax to get the stink out it is very good stuff for that.

WatermanChris and Cobalt like this.
  6. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    hmm, nickname. Cliff, being a vulcan was not very creative. So he just probably called it "knife"

7. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I didn't say it before, awesome knife, and awesome piece of Busse history! :thumbsup: :cool:

Just let me know. If you want to try it, send me a text if you still have my number, otherwise PM me here. I use this thing to keep my archery stuff scent-free, and it seems to work pretty well. I am impressed how well it works for such a small, portable, rechargeable unit.

Harpy? Lol. :D

Ironkid883, WatermanChris and Cobalt like this.
  8. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2018
    As happy as I am to see her end up in Dennis's collection, I'm kind of bummed that Cliff is no longer doing his thing. When you have someone as knowledgeable and methodical as Cliff extolling the superiority of Busse and INFI, it makes it easy to squash the haters.

There are still some videos of his on YouTube but I haven't been able to find that many. I think we need a Busse Wiki that will combine all the info from Bad Mojo, Busse Collector, the Busse Reviews that have been posted in different places, Cliff and Noss's videos, etc in one place. I would gladly chip in $50 a year to maintain it.

hugofeynman and Cobalt like this.
  9. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    Major congrats!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Blueoak

Blueoak

May 12, 2015
    That is really cool!

I always wondered what happened to that knife.

11. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    Well, if my number is still the same, I should have you on it. Will check. I will find out tonight how bad it smells. Still soaking

The biggest issue with videos is that no one did them until the mid 2000's. Everything was pics. Noss came around and did videos but that was way after the original BM's came out and even way after the ergo's came out. I have had a few SHBM's(3) that I have thrown into wood thousands of times. But I did not video tape it all so there is no way for me to prove it. People can choose to take your word or not. The difference is that most of us are still willing to take up a challenge with these knives and that usually shuts down haters. I have done it many times and use to take a large knife to blade just for that reason. My response has always been:

[​IMG]

12. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    I never really approached Cliff because he told me that his brother wanted the knife and I assumed that his brother would get it. Not sure what happened there.

13. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Very cool piece, congrats!

So the old SHBM's are 61-62? Has the RC changed much over the years?

Ironkid883 likes this.
  14. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    I think it was dropped 2 Rc points to 59 average, which is still good for a hard use steel

15. JACKMANDU

JACKMANDU Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2019
    How can I find these videos?

16. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Very cool, congrats!

Cobalt likes this.
  17. Ironkid883

Ironkid883 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Its vulcan name is t,laina if cliff stamp used a vulcan name generator and changed sex lol.i think cos its an old mistress maybe the madam?

18. COPIUOS

COPIUOS Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2015
    THIS IS AWESOME!

WatermanChris, Cobalt and Ironkid883 like this.
  19. stricknine

stricknine Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2008
    awesome Cobalt, you are very deserving, Sir.

Cobalt likes this.
  20. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Great classic blade, and if I may, a worthy owner. Its in good hands :D