The "Name that Plant" Game

Some one post a damn pic!

And I am with John G, Lets be as informative as possible in our posts. Tell us if the plant is edible, medicinal, or poisonous. Tell us how its used and all that when you post the pic.

The person giving the answer doesn't have to, just the guy posting the pic. However if the person with the correct answer wants to share more info that is great.

Ok I'll post one.

This plant can be found in most dry woods and grows about 12" tall.

It has been used as flavoring in root beer and some candy.

It is medicinaly used as tea; which is a good antiseptic to wounds. It is also a diuretic.

Wow! This guy was almost lost to page 4! Good to see it's been kept going for so long though! :)

That looks like Umbellate Wintergreen or Pipsissewa, Tony (Chimaphila umbellata). If I'm right, I'll try to get something up later tomorrow.

Great job bro, you're absolutely correct!!!

Post up when you have a chance!

I'll play although I have no idea what this is..... I was out today and these plants were all over the place. These were attached to plants that stood about 3 feet high and were within 100-200 yards of water and under a canopy.

Any ideas?

Oh - I'm in DE

031-2.jpg

Here’s another plant that might be useful should you find yourself doing some Hawaiian Jungle Bummin… :D

This plant originated in India and spread throughout Polynesia. It grows in partially shady or in sunny areas, and requires moist soil.

Description:

This plant grows to 1-2m tall, with leafy stems arising from rhizomes. The leaves are simple and lanceolate, around 15cm long, and grow alternately along the stem. The bulbous flower shoots of this perennial plant appear in summer on separate stalks and persist until the fall. The flower tops are green when immature, and red when mature; they actually look a lot like a pinecone. Mature flower tops are filled with a clear slimy liquid. Before the flowertops fully mature, white flowers pop out from between bracts (the overlapping leaves of the flower top that give it it’s scale-like pinecone appearance). This plant may be propagated by transplantation of the rhizomes.

Uses:

If you squeeze the flowering heads of this plant, you can actually drink the liquid. However, Native Hawaiians would primarily use the liquid from the flower heads as a shampoo and conditioner.

The leaves were also used to flavor food.

The rhizome of this plant was used for medicinal purposes. It would be ground up via stone mortar and pestle and used to: treat sprains by placing in a cloth and tied around area of injury, alleviate stomachaches by drinking a solution of ground rhizome and water, and ease toothaches and cavities by direct application. An extract of this plant has even be demonstrated to induce apoptosis (cell death) in cultured liver cancer cells :thumbup:.

Immature flower top and flowers:
01-5.jpg

02-1-1.jpg

03-4.jpg

Mature flower top:

05-3.jpg

04-4.jpg

Rhizome:
06-3.jpg

A good reason for knowing this plant:
Waterfall_2_by_LexxieLoo.jpg

You never know who you might run into at those secluded waterfalls....

:D

ETA: Sorry, didn't see you posted, myright, until after I finished putting this together. I guess now there are two to vote on!

Last edited:
I'll play although I have no idea what this is..... I was out today and these plants were all over the place. These were attached to plants that stood about 3 feet high and were within 100-200 yards of water and under a canopy.

Any ideas?

Oh - I'm in DE

031-2.jpg

Pokeweed.

The shoots are delicious and can be eaten cooked like asparagus but be careful to not eat any of the root and skin off the reddish areas of the stem. It can be very poisonous if not processed right.

Pokeweed.

The shoots are delicious and can be eaten cooked like asparagus but be careful to not eat any of the root and skin off the reddish areas of the stem. It can be very poisonous if not processed right.

hmm... I'll have to stop by the ranger station next time and see if they can swing out and give me a hand. Thanks for the ID, kind sir.

Ok, the plant is Shampoo Ginger or 'Awapuhi in Hawaiian (Zingiber zerumbet) :thumbup:. I'm surprised no one commented on that woman...I thought she was smokin...I'd wash her hair in a waterfall anytime....:D

I wouldn't mind passin on the turn to someone else who wants to post a plant. If no one wants to go, I'll put a North American plant up tomorrow.

Alright, I'm dog tired, I'll put a plant up tomorrow since no one has put anything up yet. :thumbup:

California (native), Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Northern Mexico. Ranges from grassland to forests. Often one of the first plants to pop up after fires, as it likes sunny spots devoid of competing plants.

Description:

Perennial (march to may) herb that grows to around 30cm tall. The leaves are simple blades, like grass, and grow up to 40cm. The flowers are clustered on top of leafless stalks and can be white, blue, or purple. I believe there are usually 6 petals per flower, but don't take my word for it. The plant grows from a corm, which is white and bulbous and sot of looks like an onion. The plant may be grown from cormlets that are attached to the corms, or by seeds.

Uses:

The starchy corms of this plant were harvested, baked or boiled, and eaten by Native Americans. It was a key food plant in Western Native American diets.

02-6.jpg

05-4.jpg

04-5.jpg

06-4.jpg

03-5.jpg

Great description bro!

I have no clue about west coast plants, hopefully someone over there can identify it.

No one?

The plant is Dichelostemma capitatum, Blue Dick.

Maybe someone from the East Coast should post a plant now....

Ok...I'm gonna post one from the Hill Country. Early settlers to Texas used this plant to provide temporary relief to toothache.

Attachments

• xkjhsa.jpg
    xkjhsa.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 10
The plant game! Resurrected! Good one Doug :thumbup::D

Not guessing because I killed the thread the last time:eek:.

Interesting protrusions on the stem of that one, never seen a plant like that before.

The plant game! Resurrected! Good one Doug :thumbup::D

Not guessing because I killed the thread the last time:eek:.

Interesting protrusions on the stem of that one, never seen a plant like that before.

Haha...this is the only way I had a chance to put a plant up :eek:

Back