The "Name that Plant" Game

Idaho JH, that would be Skunk Cabbage.

The North West version which you posted is Lysichiton americanus

The Eastern version is Symplocarpus foetidus

Here's a good plant for all you dirty bastids....

It can be found along roadsides most of the time.

I would tell you what its used for, but that would give away the name....

Really:foot::eek:

Damn!

How about this one?

Leaves are edible raw or can be cooked and eaten like spinach. They can be dried and infused in tea as a good source of vitamins & minerals with significant calcium, vitamin A, & vitamin C.

Small round seed pods can also be eaten

Well I'm a fan of spring ephemerals so here we go again.

This beauty has an edible tuber when cooked! However, harvesting is not recommended as they are extremely small and way too many of this wonderful plant would need to be dug up.
sss.jpg

Hey KEmSAT-Survival

Once you correctly guess a plant, you are supposed to post a new one, along with its uses, etc., so you are up.

Doc

::smacks forehead::

forgot I'd even made a guess at the plant.

Duuuuuuh!

Forgive me for being a complete R-Tard ::trying to find a smiley to convey how stupid he is::

Okie dokie, here we go:

Had to get this one from Google, since I'm at work.

Here's a hint or two:

1. It's not a Dandelion.
2. It looks a lot like a Mallow.

notadandelion.jpg

Looks like Colts Foot.

Poisonous I believe.

Kee-rect on the first'un.

Negatory on the second, with exception of the root because of an alkaline toxicity. There is a western version that IS poisonous because of its higher alkaline concentrations. (ha HA! suckers, tell me the East ain't got the best plants in Ma Nature's list!)

It's good for coughs, sore throats and other mucosal inflamations when the leaves and young flowers are made into a tea.

Have at it!

Ooh and something I forgot to mention about Spring Beauty, alot of Eastern Mountain folks might know it as "Tangle Gut". Some of the best eatin' that God ever created. Cornbread, kilt Tangle Gut and green onions.

Thanks for the correction on that Kemsat!

This plant is introduced from Asia. It arrived in the New England area in the 1800's

The leaves are poisonous, but the stems are edible. the roots have been used in ancient Chinese medicines.

This game is stupid...:eek: Or I should have stayed awake through botany...not sure which, but I have an idea...:rolleyes:

Back