The official Challenge knife thread!Makers please confirm your entry

Mudbug -- Moose is right -- your knife was very comfortable in hand, did great with food prep, whittling/carving, etc... on Friday. As soon as the edge went wonky Saturday it was put away before it chipped out. It's probable that you can redo the edge and still have a salable knife.
I don't know what hardness you went with, but it would not have survived cutting notches in the bamboo - and the tip was thin enough I was not willing to try drilling with it.

Mudbug -- Moose is right -- your knife was very comfortable in hand, did great with food prep, whittling/carving, etc... on Friday. As soon as the edge went wonky Saturday it was put away before it chipped out. It's probable that you can redo the edge and still have a salable knife.
I don't know what hardness you went with, but it would not have survived cutting notches in the bamboo - and the tip was thin enough I was not willing to try drilling with it.

Thanks Vik. I was shooting around the 62-63 rc range...give or take a few. Since this was my first 52100 blade, I'll more than likely snap it to see how refined the grain was. I made another 52100 knife at the same time and about the only difference is I tempered the alternate knife about 50 degrees higher and the handle design was a little different. Tested both on scrap leather, cardboard boxes, fuzz sticks and some pine lumber (*facepalm* how, oh how, could I have forgotten about building a shelter with Bamboo? ;) ). Thanks again for everyone's work. I know it takes an immense amount of time to take and sort photo's and figure out where they all go. You guys rock!

Even though I don't have a dog in this hunt, I have to admire the hard work and creativity on the part of all the makers who competed. And, as I have often learned in my leather work, failure is the best teacher. I have kept most of my failures as a constant reminder of what not to do!
All the best
Balding

Even though I don't have a dog in this hunt, I have to admire the hard work and creativity on the part of all the makers who competed. And, as I have often learned in my leather work, failure is the best teacher. I have kept most of my failures as a constant reminder of what not to do!
All the best
Balding

That gator skin wrap you sent Matt, was off the chain.

Excellent work.

Moose

Thanks a lot Bill and Moose! As I know that you are somewhat of a fellow leather mangler yourself!

Thanks a lot Moose! As I know that you are somewhat of a fellow leather mangler yourself!

Only in the sense that he likes to wear leather assless chaps to the gathering and sing village people tunes. :D seriously though Doug. I was gonna send you a PM telling you how much I admired that sheath. But give credit where its due and let everybody hear it. That sheath was the envy of everyone there. By far the best leather sheath on the mountian............OUTSTANDING!

Told ya Doug!

Fellas that man put that sheath together for me at my pleading and begging and saved my A$$!!!
The craftsmanship on it is friggin amazing. Well thought out and detailed design brother. I can't thank you enough!

Better clear out your pm box balding eagle!

I done sent one,i want somethin that fits in my a$$ pocket croc style

Thanks Vik. I was shooting around the 62-63 rc range...give or take a few. Since this was my first 52100 blade, I'll more than likely snap it to see how refined the grain was.

That's always a good idea with a "new" alloy, but before you do that, resharpen it and test it some more. It wasn't that terrible; it could be that if you sharpen back past possibly-overheated steel at the edge, and/or at a less-acute final angle, it will hold up just fine. Compare it to the one tempered a little hotter. Gorgeous knife, BTW. I really liked how light and balanced it was :thumbup:

And yeah, BE's croc sheath was something to behold!

Todd,
I probably could do some chaps but I don't want to do any "on body" tailoring for a nekid Moose!!!
Balding

That's always a good idea with a "new" alloy, but before you do that, resharpen it and test it some more. It wasn't that terrible; it could be that if you sharpen back past possibly-overheated steel at the edge, and/or at a less-acute final angle, it will hold up just fine. Compare it to the one tempered a little hotter. Gorgeous knife, BTW. I really liked how light and balanced it was :thumbup:

And yeah, BE's croc sheath was something to behold!

this is what i was trying to say, too -- it's a good design, just the wrong edge geometry for some of the tasks.

Back