1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Official" Fiddleback OFF-TOPIC thread!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by VANCE, May 9, 2016.

1. thurin

thurin Wanderer

Dec 19, 2012
    That's like having too many knives. lol

2. trestle

trestle

Feb 2, 2008
    Packs are definitely in the n+1 category.

It's informative and fun hearing everyone's well thought out requirements and needs for the packs they've chosen. All of these are great companies with outstanding customer service and I don't think any are a bad choice. Thurin, I think it's only natural to become a fanboy when you find people you share so much common philosophy with.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. trestle

trestle

Feb 2, 2008
    Thought I'd repost this since we're on the subject of packs.

4. trestle

trestle

Feb 2, 2008
    Here's my new Mystery Ranch Scree. Have been wanting to try out a tri-zip for years and finally found one I can afford (please, no debates about origin. I'm well-versed in both sides). My Dana Bomb pack may not get as much use this summer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    That pack is sweet! I love the tri-zip. Oh boy... I'm going to end up owning a couple new packs because of this conversation.

6. Onedog

Onedog Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Great post Thurin. I like your approach towards packing. I have a lot of small pouches that I use for organization in bigger packs. Never really thought to use them in my smaller packs with the exception of my fire kit and FAK. I guess since I've been using the Maxped stuff for a while now I started relying on the pack for organization. It's funny how you can fall into a mindset simply because it's provided for you. Anyway, seeing how much gear you carry and how well organized it is, I'm very interested in the empty bucket concept. I think today I'm gonna get all my small pouches re-organized and see where I stand.

So far I've found packs that I think would work for me at HPG, MR and Kifaru. Now I just need to do a little more thinking and a little more researching.

I like that scree John. Is the inside the same as the ASAP? Just curious. I'm definitely not about to debate origin. That's just my thing. :D I think I'd go with the ASAP because I like being able to attach stuff to the outside of a pack when I need a little extra. :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone for all the info. My mind is spinning a little but I'm sure this will result in a pack that will keep me satisfied for a long time to come.

7. aztec506

aztec506

Jan 30, 2007
    Did I miss a FF vacation post or something? I can't find Fiddleback Friday 7/01/16?????????

8. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    its 6/30/2016 here

9. aztec506

aztec506

Jan 30, 2007
    SMH. Dang I'm such an idiot. Ive been retired since 2003, disabled, most days are the same - don't even know which day of the week it is, geez. Thanks for the quick response Phillip.

10. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    i think most of it has to do with being retired. i know when im on vacation i tend to lose days as it doesn't matter.

11. TxSportsman

TxSportsman Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Or it's because your a Texas living in Tucson... you've lost track of reality! ;)

12. MajorD

MajorD Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2007
    I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend. My wife and I headed out to one of our favorite spots. The weather has been beautiful. This is a very nice local campground that we go to. Admittedly it's not hard core but it makes for a relaxing time.

[​IMG]

Setting up the smoker
    [​IMG]

Smoking a Boston Butt is exhausting work. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. TxSportsman

TxSportsman Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Looks excellent Major D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. trestle

trestle

Feb 2, 2008
    Dave, I like your style. You guys seem to really have a great time enjoying this part of your lives.

15. trestle

trestle

Feb 2, 2008
    GoLite appears to have been resurrected as My Trail Company and they're still in Boulder.
    http://mytrailco.com/

16. thurin

thurin Wanderer

Dec 19, 2012
    Ya. I have a hard time supporting them with how Golite went down. After liquidating the company, they were able to pay off the secured creditors, but didn't pay the $6M they owed to suppliers and landlords. Coupounas bought the Golite IP for $5,000 and is trying again with crowd funded investments. While the gear is really cool, I'm not sure I can get on board.

17. thurin

thurin Wanderer

Dec 19, 2012
    Trestle, that MR looks like a good pack. Look forward to hearing how it works out.

MajorD - awesome setup! Enjoy the weekend.

18. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    lol....
    what does your drawer look like at work??:D

[​IMG]

19. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2012
    I'll take 772215.

20. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    I'll think abut it.
    last time I checked DLT still had some.

[​IMG]