1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The "Official" Fiddleback OFF-TOPIC thread!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by VANCE, May 9, 2016.

1. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    now I'm hungry for some grilled food. thanks a lot guys:eek:

2. MajorD

MajorD Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Any fellow "Parrot Heads" here? My wife and I will be attending the Jimmy Buffet concert tomorrow. It's an annual event for us. It's an all-day event of tailgating, summer cocktails, great food followed by an evening of music and more partying. It's an absolute blast! I'll get some pics up on Sunday.

The weather .... upper 80s and sunny. Summer days in Michigan are the best few days of the year. :D

3. Kal-El

Kal-El Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Not an official Parrot Head, but worked at a local miniature golf course my junior and senior year in High School. They played Buffet 24/7! I probably know the lyrics to every song forward and back. Still, never got tired of it. Great stuff.

Have fun!

4. MajorD

Mar 18, 2007
    Jimmy Buffet day!! Up early making food and prepping ingredients for drinks and tailgating. Hitting the road by 8:00 AM!!

This is video from one of Jimmy's shows. The song is called "Fins". I thought it's quite appropriate for the Fiddleback forum and my fellow sharks. It could be the Fiddleback Friday theme song. :D

[video=youtube;-zvASjIvwnw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvASjIvwnw[/video]

Prepping avacado salsa with watercress and cilantro (sorry early morning cell pic)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  5. prom52

prom52 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Excellent choice with "Fins" Dave. My wife and I have been big fans of Jimmy's music over the years. More often than not, it would be the music of choice when spending time on our boat or when driving down to the Florida Keys. One of our all time favorite CD's is Banana Wind. We haven't had the pleasure of seeing Jimmy live, however, we came real close when we were living in MN. He used to book an out door concert venue in neighboring Wisconsin. As such, we will live vicariously through you this weekend !

6. MajorD

Mar 18, 2007
    What an incredible day spent with my wife yesterday. We had an absolute blast. The weather was beautiful. The theater parking lots weren't expected to open until the afternoon. We have not seen Jimmy at this particular venue before. We learned that in years past people traditionally tailgate at a local Park-N-Ride just up the street then move over to the main lots. We arrived around 9:30 and set up temporarily. The DTE Theater security showed up at 11:30 and announced the lots were open! We quickly broke down and moved up the street. We were near the front of the lots which was great. We spent the day eating, drinking, hydrating :D and wandering the huge parking lots admiring the various tailgate set ups. Ours is very simple by comparison of most others.

Our menu consisted of a large sub sandwich, cold fried chicken, avacado salsa, a pasta salad, a cucumber salad, fresh fruit and a variety of snacks. The cocktails were Land Shark beer, Vodka and tonics and or Strawberry Daiquiris.

The Jimmy Buffet crowd is always polite and courteous. Wherever you go you are offered food, drinks or a jello shot! We have made dozens of "friends for the day" at the shows. I spoke with the security as they were driving around. They confirmed that there isn't any other performer that brings with him a following or a party like Jimmy does.

Admittedly I didn't stop to take the amount of pics I had planned to. We didn't take our phones into the concert either. It's so nice to cut the cord from our cell phones at times. Here are a few pics of our tailgate set ups.

Finally the concert.... We never sat down and we sang every verse. He still puts on a great show even after 40 years of touring.

When it was all said and done it was a great date day with my wife. Even with adult kids we don't get a lot of opportunity to spend a day alone together and yesterday was a blast.

This was our Park-N-Ride temporary set up. Just after I took this the lot started to fill up quickly.
    [​IMG]

This was our set up at DTE Theater. We are in a small lot near the entrance of the theater. There are multiple lots behind were I am standing. The party is absolutely huge. Itis a sea of canopies and portable Tiki huts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Kal-El

Kal-El Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Awesome post Dave. Looks like a lot of fun.
    Landshark is our alternative to Corona. Good stuff.

8. MajorD

Mar 18, 2007
    I just received this today from Pete Winkler "Cross Knives". I love Sambar Stag handles but you have to expect some thickness variations in the scales. This is almost perfectly symmetrical. That is amazing for a stag handle. This feels fantastic in hand. The bolster and Sambar work beautifully together.

[​IMG]

9. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Thats a good looking knife

Congrats MajorD

10. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    no Fiddlebacks so it ends up here

grilled chicken
    [​IMG]

Kraft mac & cheese might be the best thing ever!
    [​IMG]

11. thurin

thurin Wanderer

Dec 19, 2012
    That looks like a load of fun Dave!

I had Kraft M&C with chicken sausage last night Phillip. Good stuff.

My favorite handle combo (OD over Natural and White) from three different makers:

[​IMG]

12. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    thurin
    that is a sweet combo. Natural & blue under almost anything is my favorite.

13. trestle

trestle

Feb 2, 2008
  14. trestle

trestle

Feb 2, 2008
    Micarta madness.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. fogdart

fogdart Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2015
  16. hasco

hasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Last summer I made this little knife inspired by the runt only a little bigger. It might be somewhere in the size range of a palmer. It was the second knife I had made. It turned out pretty good but I didn't get the heat treat right so it doesn't hold an edge well. Well, I really wanted a knife like this so I retried it in 3/32" 01 tool steel instead of 1/8" because I also wanted it thinner.

[​IMG]

I just finished the new knife today. After making some scandi knives, I was reminded how much more difficult making a convex knife is. I tried to make it as close to a zero bevel convex as possible. There are quite a few things that could have been done better, but it turned out not bad. It is very sharp, we will see how the edge holds up. I think I have my heat treat down now so I am pretty optimistic.

[​IMG]

It is not a mirror polish but nice enough for my own use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. gusbuster

gusbuster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    :thumbup: Very nice! I like the zero convex edge.

18. Luca917

Luca917 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Very nice.

19. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    nice job hasco

20. Tekton

Tekton

Mar 8, 2015
    Great job Hasco!