The Official Lanyard Thread

Thanks if you ever need a lanyard tied on with one of these beads just let me know...;)
G2

Thanks, they are diamond knots, tricky to get the last one tight to the bead, the white cord was tied using a whipping knot, where the knot ends up below the wrap.
G2

Last edited:
Thanks, they are diamond knots, tricky to get the last one tight to the bead, the white cord was tied using a whipping knot, where the knot ends up below the wrap.
G2

I've been practicing my diamond knots, Gary, so I don't have to go to YouTube every time I need to tie one. Most of the vids show someone tying one with the cord wrapped around a finger or two, but tying one on a knife or a second one near a bead, that's not really practical. After quite a bit of practice, I think I've got my open method down.

For sure it's a pain getting that last knot cinched up against the bead and looking just like its neighbor. :grumpy: I practiced on my 581 Barrage with an ugly blue ceramic bead I had lying around, so I'm not gonna post that one. I'll pick one of the nicer beads I have and tie up another to post here.

Practice is good, here's a tutorial I made might also help that may help others that want to give this a go.

I get the second knot 'tied' and then pull it in tighter with small pliers, usually my Swiss Army Tool, works great and provides a solid grip to the cord, when done, both knots feel hard as a rock, very very tightly knotted.

And I've also seen those youtube vid's with the finger thingy, for my needs that would never work so I've not even tried to follow that example.
G2

Last edited:
G2

Thank you Gary!
That has to be a bugger to get that second knot in the right spot.

Thanks it can be, I use my Swiss Army Tool pliers to adjust the knot into place and to tighten it up.
G2

Here's a couple that were on my table this past weekend--a new-to-me Spyderco SuperLeaf and my Kizer Vanguard Series Intrepid. The Intrepid needed new hardware--pivot and body screws--that came from Kizer's CS all the way from China. Both knives' VG10 blades have really too-acute toothy 30 degree factory edge bevels and the Superleaf's edge was a little rolled in spots. I didn't re-profile or spend a lot of time, but put more-than-micro 20-per-side compound edges on each to get them acceptably sharp for the short term.

Anyway, I had some 1/8" leather thong that I'd picked up a couple weeks ago and started fooling around with it. I tried some snake knots but couldn't keep them tight or consistent and they looked pretty crappy. After tying/untying a couple times I just slipped a bead on the unbraided cord and liked the look. I did both knives that way, super-gluing the beads in place. I kinda like 'em.

cWWJwLS.jpg

Last edited:
Nice and nice looking beads too.
G2

Thanks, Gary. In this case the Occam's Razor of lanyard tying was the solution--the simplest was the best. ;)

Brass piece from a plumbing thing I took apart.

Didn't care for lanyards not too long ago. I've since gotten more into them. Started with my CRK'S, usually took them off but started leaving them on. I then tied my first on my micarta 72 lockback to aid opening/closing.

I went from not being a fan to having one on my LG 21, SAK, GEC 72, Shirogorov, stretch and my manix. Maybe more that I can't think of.

Cool thread(s)!

Awful pun fully intended.

Rounded them up for a photo shoot.

The brass piece on the SAK is also a plumbing part I found. The CRK lanyard is flat from daily back pocket carry.

I'm probably going to more of my knives in the near future. Hard to decide leather or Para because I like the look of both.

The Shiro and stretch are both wearing the same leather except the Shiro was tied earlier, and I applied leather wax.

Last edited:
I bought some 750 paracord just to try it out and found this red pleasing anyway. It was really hard to get the knots tightened up and looking good. This 750 has 11 inner strands, so I took out 6 or 7 and it tied pretty nicely. I like the look when the cord lays flat and have done this in the past with 550. The tail below starts with two snake knots and finishes with a diamond.

Trimmed off the 25's new tail with my modded 707 Sequel.

AyELyIS.jpg

Last edited:
I built up enough bonus points at DLT Trading that I was able to redeem them for a Hinderer Titanium South Sister Bead. I'm almost surely going to put that on my new MP1, so this is one is destined for another knife. I picked up a 6-foot pice of rawhide thong at my local leather shop yesterday and patterned this lanyard off the one that came with my large Inkosi natural Micarta.

523vJ7n.jpg

9SSEQ3n.jpg

Last edited:
Some nice lanyards here. Personally, I like lanyards to be utilitarian, especially long enough for a bow string on a bow drill. With this braid, I undo the last knot and the rest comes apart like a daisy chain (except for the last loop through the handle)

largerEDCresized.jpg

DSC06633-r.jpg

Back