The plague of S30V and S35VN

Oh you’d be surprised. When I’m bivvying in Wales in mid-winter, having chopped the wood, prepared the stew and got the fire going, you just know the next thing I do is whip out all that paper I brought along, just for edge testing.

I can’t do the thumb nail test, as I don’t have thumb nails. Or thumbs. Or hands. You’ll never guess how I’m typing this.

Oh, and I just chopped some garlic with a PM2 in CPM S30v. It was all going so well until I breathed on it, then it micro rolled and got clogged with ostrich residue and my shoes fell off and then the vicar’s wife arrived and I didn’t have any trousers on and oh, the humanity.

The one and only thing I agree with Gaston about is, I rather have a high carbon steel than a cpm steel for a fixed blade longer than 5"

That is it. In fact it doesn't have to be just high carbon. Something like cpm3v or vanadis will work or heck LC200N.

I once bivouacked in a coffee shop in the winter.
With the help of the waiter I chopped my way through a biscotti so that I might hoist a piece to my mouth.
The S30V edge was in fact rolled but I was able to then feed myself and so . . .
I guess you could say that knife saved my life.

(I wish to have a rematch this time with S35VN).
Genius. I lol’d!

Mikki from DBK tested his S30V Enzo Trapper really hard, seems like Enzo got their HT dialed in really good. I have a PK70 to, lovely knife, holds a great edge!

Gah! Now I want one.

But I already have a Helle Gaupe, laminated Sandvik, with a curly birch handle, which is quite similar, and, and, and...

Damn it. I still want one. Even though I would have to hold my breath when using it to chop into frozen hardwood. Because I’d use it as a chopper, naturally.

EDIT: I’ve just had a wee look, and they have them in O1. I don’t have any knives using that steel, what are the members’ views on it? I have quite a few fixed blades in 1095, and I do like and know how to look after carbon steel. Your thoughts most welcome!

Last edited:
Naturally!!
:D

Gah! Now I want one.

But I already have a Helle Gaupe, laminated Sandvik, with a curly birch handle, which is quite similar, and, and, and...

Damn it. I still want one. Even though I would have to hold my breath when using it to chop into frozen hardwood. Because I’d use it as a chopper, naturally.

Gah! Now I want one.

EDIT: I’ve just had a wee look, and they have them in O1. I don’t have any knives using that steel, what are the members’ views on it? I have quite a few fixed blades in 1095, and I do like and know how to look after carbon steel. Your thoughts most welcome!
One of my favorites for fixed blades. I have an easier time getting a razer edge on O1 than I do on 1095 and it seems to hold it longer, it does patina faster though if that bothers you at all.
This is all based on personal use so ymmv.

One of my favorites for fixed blades. I have an easier time getting a razer edge on O1 than I do on 1095 and it seems to hold it longer, it does patina faster though if that bothers you at all.
This is all based on personal use so ymmv.
Thanks man, that is very helpful. And it just pushed me into it, which is obviously what I actually wanted. But I’ll be blaming you and 353 if my wife finds out...

Thanks man, that is very helpful. And it just pushed me into it, which is obviously what I actually wanted. But I’ll be blaming you and 353 if my wife finds out...
Cant go wrong with an Enzo. The birk 75 in curly birch is one of my favorite folders.

The one and only thing I agree with Gaston about is, I rather have a high carbon steel than a cpm steel for a fixed blade longer than 5"

That is it. In fact it doesn't have to be just high carbon. Something like cpm3v or vanadis will work or heck LC200N.

It would seem that you don't even agree on that much. Gaston has voiced his distaste for all carbon steels in the past as well. They take too much maintenance according to him, but stacked leather handles are just fine as far as ease of maintenance. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, I love me some stacked leather and own quite a few knives with it as the handle material. It just takes as much or more maintenance as a carbon steel blade, which I'm fine with.

Logic just isn't something you can apply to @Gaston444's posts. All facts that don't fit his agenda will be pointedly ignored.

[...] Gaston has voiced his distaste for all carbon steels in the past as well. They take too much maintenance according to him [...]

Oh dear. Oh dear me. I can’t say what I’m thinking because I would get told off for doing so.

For any novice knife enthusiasts:

Carbon steel is great for those who know how to use it and look after it, and it’s really, really easy to do both of those things.

Where can that be found?
It would seem that you don't even agree on that much. Gaston has voiced his distaste for all carbon steels in the past as well. They take too much maintenance according to him, but stacked leather handles are just fine as far as ease of maintenance. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, I love me some stacked leather and own quite a few knives with it as the handle material. It just takes as much or more maintenance as a carbon steel blade, which I'm fine with.

Logic just isn't something you can apply to @Gaston444's posts. All facts that don't fit his agenda will be pointedly ignored.

I wonder if one of the "problems" with these higher end steels is that you can get a really big burr, that is actually pretty stable under light use? I wonder, can something like 35vn hold a measurably larger and more durable burr than something like 1095 or aus-6 which while they do burr, don't as much?
Biggest single thing that has changed my knife use, was going from stones only to strop finishing with green. I use the lee valley stuff, but whatever works. As good as I think I am, I'm still free-hand, and that will cause a burr kinda no matter what. It might not be easy being green, but it sure makes for sharp edges.
I find that the burr is essential to proper sharpening, as is the ability to remove the burr. CPM steels can be tricky that way. Whether that is the root of a "wobbly apex syndrome", I have no idea, as I have not understood his version or perversion of technical English since he first started posting.

Where can that be found?

In part, in a discussion on the SOG super bowie quite a while back. He was recommending it to a newer member as a fantastic choice for a survival type knife despite his never having actually used one. He knew from reading the specs on the internet that it was aus8 and not yucky carbon or cpm steel, though. That's all that mattered.

Back