The price of being prepared

thats really gotta suck. this is the sign at one of the areas that i frequent.....

edit: just out of curiosity HD, how does a person have a campfire at that place without an axe, hachet or even a knife.? up here you're allowed to drink in provincial parks as long as you are drinking in a camp ground and not wandering around on the trails with booze. kinda makes you wonder if canada's becoming more conservative than the states! :)

Many Canadians vacation here in winter. Maybe they're trying to run them off. I have never seen anyone use the archery range. Kind of hard with no bows or arrows allowed. With all that talk about how restrictive things are in Canada, it makes me wonder. Is the Peach State becoming the Police State? You know darned well that most campers, fishermen, and hikers are breaking at least a few of these mindless rules. I just ignore them.
RCAction010.jpg

...which he should fully understand after this.

He'll probably make a big apology for his" mistake" and line back up for slaughter.

Didn't he already do that when he said he understood their rules? The six year old that was caught with a fork-knife-spoon over in Delaware last week had more balls, he said he wasn't the one in the wrong, the rules were. The other kid has already been indoctrinated and he knew what the rules were, he simply broke them and bragged about it to someone that ratted him out. Why doesn't he man up and simply legitimize what he was carrying?

I believe it was Winston Churchill who said that an appeaser was someone who fed the crocodile in the hopes that it would eat him (the feeder/keeper) last.

This kid would do very well on the Board of the National Rifle Association.

What would I say to my son/daughter. You have to carry a knife or multi tool in the car, along with other tools. Don't under any circumstances allow the car to be searched by anyone, civilian or police. Keep your own counsel, use good judgment, be a good and righteous person, I will deal with the rest. I carried a knife in my bag/pocket while at school, and had the good sense to never tell a soul about it. Still do.

A lot of my co worker think I am an idiot for having a pocket with me all the time. It is just a Case medium stockman. They say that no one needs to have a knife for anything.

Actually they would mess thier pants if they really knew that some days I have 4 or 5 knives with me they do not know about. I have carried a pocket knife since I was in 1st grade. My father taught me that every good man should carry a good knife. That was more than 40 years ago, and I have not used my knives for evil yet.

That's savvy advice and they would do well to follow it.

The only problem I see with it is that if you refuse search, they tend to get a warrant to search. Which may or may not benefit them or you depending on what is named on the warrant.

Not sure about other states, but in my state, when you sign your hunting liscense, you give up your rights to search and seizure. A Conservation officer can go through your vehicle, your backpack and your pockets with no warrant. You cannot refuse them. I know becasue I had it done. And I was 100% legal! Doing nothing wrong, no illegal game in my possession, not trespassing, correct permits, etc. They searched my Kayak, Backpack, pockets, EVERYTHING. They were angry they could not find anything wrong.

Yeah, but I have a certain professional background that would make it expensive for anyone to illegally search anything. Also, simply driving a car does not make it subject to a search. Additionally, even schools have a standard for conducting a search, which is not all encompassing. I draw the line because if I do not, the Constitution goes unused and forgotten by the rank and file citizenry. I have actually done some school law in the past, and many students acquiesce because lets face it, we solcialize them to. We are taught to acquiesce to authority from a very young age. Additionally, I would like probable cause to apply to the educational setting as well, but sadly we have traded that away.

I come back to the boards today and this is one of the first things I see :(. This town is about 15-20 minutes from me and all the schools around here have way worse problems to deal with than some kid having a small knife in his car. I could go on for hours talking about all the other stuff going on in the local communities that is way more of an issue.

Glad I never had my car searched when I was in school :D. I was always taught to plan for the worst, and hope for the best. Hasn't let me down yet

I carried a knife to school for years. My school inplemented a "zero tolerance" policy my senior year, but I think it was only inregard to fighting. I don't remeber the details now.

Unfortantly it is not just in schools that this no "weapon" mentality exsists. I had a co-worker from another departement who was told by a lead from yet another department that he could not have a knife at work becasue it was a weapon. What a bunch of crap. We were sourounded by work tools that would have made halfway decent weapons in a pinch. (and with a little ingenutiy could have been improved upon)

I carried a knfe to work every day that I worked there. My supervisor knew about it and never had a problem with it. In fact I saw him at the Kershaw factory sale before my shift one year. The only comment he made was wanting to see what I bought.

Does anybody know what the actual knife was? Is it a 2in knife like a vic classic, or a 2in blade? Slipjoint? Locking folder? Fixed blade?

The whole thing is clearly ridiculous.

A pocket knife is a tool. Treating it otherwise is like saying they should ban paper cutters and scissors, because people could be cut by them, or ban pencils and pens, because people could be stabbed by them.

Being a Scout myself, I am utterly disgusted by this.

The sad thing is that it's happening all over the place now. There are many guys in my troop who're amazed that I carry a knife. Fortunately not my patrol-they got converted pretty easily :D

What happened to "Be Prepared"? A 2 inch knife can't kill as easily as a bloody PENCIL. And it cuts seatbelts more easily. If he had brought a machete or an auto, sure, confiscate it. There's no reason for a high school kid to carry a machete to school.

But a pocket knife? Even in conservative ol' Singapore I carry a Mili or a Delica or a SAK (Often all three) with the Spydercos clipped and visible. Nobody gives me crap for it. And I'm only 15.

2 inches...that's smaller than a Spyderco Dragonfly.

There exits a very simple way out of this kind of application of zero tolerance.

Just make zero tolerance applicable to the officials in their work.

You'll see a change extremely fast.

TLM

The high school is in the Lansingburgh Central school district. They're phone number is 518-233-6806. Please be kind.

The only problem I see with it is that if you refuse search, they tend to get a warrant to search. Which may or may not benefit them or you depending on what is named on the warrant.

Had this kid refused a search of his vehicle, what would the school admininazis have done? He wasn't breaking the LAW so a police officer would get a search warrant for exactly what? The school policy declaring everything a weapon is not the LAW, it is a school policy and the police cannot get a warrant that is legal on those grounds unless the LAW says you cannot have a pocketknife on school grounds or in your vehicle on school grounds. Apparently, there was no LAW violated, only a policy dreamed up by a raging anus.

I read the school regulations of the district where the 6 year old hat his camping tool -
school rules in that district say that school officials have the right to search any car a student uses to come to school with. And those rules specifically state that the student is responsible for everything found in the car, even if he borrowed the car.

This is a terrible story, I'm an Eagle Scout myself (2004) and I can't imagine anyone getting in that much trouble for a 2 inch blade in the safety of a locked car :grumpy:

This is just pathetic the way times are getting, I suppose we can try cutting seat belts with our car keys :thumbdn:

What kitty said.

Most schools around here will expel you if you refuse search.

And I agree with ya Don, raging anuses seem to have proliferated every segment of society as we know it. The only thing this poor kid could have done was take the bag out when he went to school, and put it in when he got home.

BTW, I always carry my pocket knife to parent teacher conferences. Just my little way of protest. They can't suspend me! (or can they?)

Carl-

Back