The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are there every year. It is to be expected and for good reason (we make bad ass forum knives!).
At the end of the day, does it really change anything? :)

You have an Elvis rash, too? I thought I was the only one!

1) it gives me a chuckle to watch someone else have knife-acquisition anxiety and
2) I now have a friend with an Elvis rash ... and may we never apply ointment.

This is an easy fix - in accordance with tradition, there should be two grades of knife.

First grade, for the long term members only, all polished up and shiny. Every knife an exact carbon copy of the other.

The other, a clear second grade, for the short term members and various lurkers and hangers-on, with a more rustic finish - unfinished bolsters and whatever scraps of bone GEC has lying around from other runs.

If you meet the requirements set out by @Peregrin you are fit to receive a knife..... To suggest that newer, qualified members receive a subpar knife is discriminatory and outright asinine

Moon Rock covers and a bat-skin pocket slip, and I’ll be in all the way. Put me down for 9.

Also, glitter on this one is probably just called moon dust. ;)

Man, meteorite scales would be SO awesome!!! :D :cool: Right!? ;)

That’s right mb, one or two copies of the same knife. So far, the annual knife has only been produced in one version and this year is the same.

True. But with natural scale materials, there's a good bit of variation. Last year's forum knife is a perfect example. I had only planned to keep one, but I got a good example of both the light and the dark horn material, and honestly, I love them both too much to part with either. That was quite unexpected.

That order thread sure is flying! :eek: I have to say, that I think all the Johnny-Come-Latelys, and the members who don't even post in this sub-forum, have got a bit of a cheek expecting TWO knives! o_O

I don't post in here too often, and TBH, I'm not a real big traditional knife fan. (Who knows, that could eventually change? I did buy a half dozen last year...) For that reason, I kind of feel like I'm one of those people. :oops: But... I've been here at BF awhile, and don't post much in the sales areas, lol. I'm certainly not going to flip the knife (those that know me know I absolutely despise that practice), and I'd like to have choices if possible.

As I mentioned above, and as we all know, natural scale materials can vary greatly. I've on numerous occasions bought multiple of the same knife just so that I can choose the one that appeals the most to me upon receipt. I'd like to have that option here if possible, and there's a good chance I'm only keeping one. But if we get to the point where everyone is limited to one each (looking like a good chance of that), then so be it, one will do.

I'm curious: does this mean 3 months and 25 posts...or 3 months or 25 posts?

It's 3 months and 25 posts. I've edited the post to reflect that.

Still a pretty low bar IMO. I'd think that would be pretty hard for anyone to argue with if they didn't have ulterior motives than wanting a knife to keep for themselves.

I'm in for 1. But will grab two if someone has to back out. Again huge thanks to the behind the scenes actors making this happen for us porch people!
Did you put your request in on the other thread started today. It is highlighted in red at the top of the traditional's page.:thumbsup::).

Yeah, subtle! :rolleyes:

I'd have thought that some of those folks who don't qualify, and are maybe hoping for a favourable nod from the mods, might be better just trying to order one knife, and hoping they get lucky :rolleyes::thumbsup:
Avast there Mr Black! Lash ye self to mast and listen not to the sirens song! We be headed into stormy waters .But have faith. The Helmsman will guide us through to the treasure...though the compass be a swirling he will assuredly sound the depths and shallows...

The last time I had Aussie Beer , in 2005 , I had XXXX in Perth or Darwin . Do they still make it ??
Harry
Eruurch yes ...its made its way to nsw now tho....why do they call it xxxx? Because theyre not allowed to write the other eord that describes it best on the can....that and Queenslanders can't spell B E E R.

I didn’t see a clause for “25 posts must not include talk of glitter or narwhal.” You should be good. :D

OH NOOOO...wait a sec...I havent mentioned narwhals at all(except then and thats not counted) NarWHALES..sure...but they are completely different...so Im good....

Of all the mock ups, the Appaloosa Bone samples just look amazing to me.

They do, and a fortunate few will indeed get amazing knives. Quite a few more will get examples that range from perfectly lovely to just “meh”, and a few will get complete duds, just like the horn on the 2020 knives. If I could pick my knife, I’d be all for it, but I don’t like my odds in a random selection.

My preference would be for something a bit less variable.

I think I'm still firmly in the smooth white bone camp (followed closely by the red soup bone and chestnut jigged bone) but I don't think there's an option I won't be satisified with. I do agree with the sentiment regarding some of the materials that tend to vary more (Apaloosa Bone, Ironwood, etc). I guess that can hold true even for jigged bone though - I received an M&G 35 Pick Bone last year in which the jigging looked like a sine wave and wasn't nearly as attractive as others I had seen.

At any rate, I think these will be a hit! I also think if GEC does a general run of single blade 86 barlows I better start saving some money because I'm going to want a couple of those as well.

I’m excited for the upcoming polls. It’s always fun to see this group design a custom piece. No matter what happens the knife will be special. We are getting a GEC knife. Plus we have a great community of members that dedicate their time each year to bring this to us.

You guys just won’t shut up about the Smooth Black Camel Bone! If this keeps up we’re probably going to end up not voting at all and just go with it. I’d hate to see another knife forum mess with the vote results such that we end up with Red Soup Bone or something equally hated.

It's not going to be much fun for whoever has to weed their way through the sticky, the posting profiles of some of those posting there are a joke! o_O A feller just asked for 2 knives - his 26th post on BF (half within the first hour) - first post was yesterday, and not a single post is more than one sentence long, most are 1-3 words o_O

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back