The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stated that I was in for two, just in case one of the regulars somehow misses out.
That's nice of you. :):thumbsup:

I think I was misunderstood, since the ones responding to me would easily qualify for a second knife under my suggestion.
My suggestion... I would limit the order to one knife per person under the current qualifications. Then if there was room for more in the order I'd open it up to a second knife with stricter qualifications... like 6 months membership and 50 posts on the Porch (or some such). It's just me "thinking out loud" and please feel free to ignore my ramblings, I'm in charge of nothing. :)

So, no Elvis, no narwhal, and no glitter?
I can live without the King and sparkles
but I may have to follow r8shells lead and learn the scrimshaw ways of me seafaring’ forefathers as a NARWHAL be the epitome of cool!

For me...I said I would take two, but that was mostly to get the count up so we had enough for the order. Which yes. I would pay for both and not back out. :) I remember in the past that there were questions about whether there would be enough orders for the company to make a run.

I would be completely happy with 1, or even zero, if it means that someone else would be happier with it. :)

I also put in for two, one for me and one for my friend @SAK Guy since he doesn't get on the forum much any more due to health and internet connection. If he doesn't want it then I'll just take one.

I think that's perfectly legitimate gents, you both contribute to The Porch :) Rather than having made your first post yesterday, for example :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

That's nice of you. :):thumbsup:

I think I was misunderstood, since the ones responding to me would easily qualify for a second knife under my suggestion.
My suggestion... I would limit the order to one knife per person under the current qualifications. Then if there was room for more in the order I'd open it up to a second knife with stricter qualifications... like 6 months membership and 50 posts on the Porch (or some such). It's just me "thinking out loud" and please feel free to ignore my ramblings, I'm in charge of nothing. :)
No worries, I knew what you meant and that I would qualify. (Playing the long, long con, here) ;)

Maybe we could make it resemble a typical drop somehow, like people with less than 25 posts get 4 seconds to purchase; those with 26-50 posts get 6 seconds; and so on all the way up to those who have been here the longest get the full 24 seconds of a standard GEC drop.

Maybe we could make it resemble a typical drop somehow, like people with less than 25 posts get 4 seconds to purchase; those with 26-50 posts get 6 seconds; and so on all the way up to those who have been here the longest get the full 24 seconds of a standard GEC drop.

lol...oh so true.

Then I'm out. Not worth the stress Disappointed.gif

I put in for two for a couple of reasons:

1. We don't know what the handles will be. I've not had the best of luck with some, ironwood comes to mind. Figured if I got two it would increase my chances of getting a nice example. If something more uniform is chosen I would be fine with only one if we need to keep the order size down;

2. Three of my four forum knives were obtained on the secondary market. Two for reasonable prices (thanks Invoice and 'bay person I forget) and one in a GAW (thanks Glennbad :thumbsup: ). Figured I could pass the second one on to somebody who missed out for whatever reason. Or keep it. Or sell it to finance a new house evil.gif

I'm good for two. If it gets limited to one, then lets make sure the handles are something fairly uniform.

Is there a way that we can make sure that Charlie and those that are putting the work in for this, receive one free of charge?
I would be fine with extra cost added to my purchase or going in on a side-pot for the respective parties.
Yes there is and it would only take a few of us to pitch in to cover Charlie's and Barry's too

E Elgatodeacero , your remarks are spot on.

We should stop being so ungracious. We cannot know everyone’s motivations. Just because someone doesn’t spout off constantly with tens of thousands of posts does not mean they should be shunned by the pedantry police. Many people leave the Porch or refrain from posting precisely because they are made to feel unwelcome. This is not a private club. It is just a simple hobby. It is perfectly acceptable for someone to post occasionally rather than spending all day plugged in. In fact, it is healthier.

The rules are set, and the moderators are up to the task. Let’s just be thankful we have an opportunity to participate, just like everyone else.

Last edited:
I think I may have misunderstood something here about the qualifications to purchase this forum knife.
Do you mean 25 posts in all or 25 posts in this thread alone?o_O

I think some of you are going overboard on this “flipper” “new member” stuff.

Mods have set the requirements for eligibility and interest looks solid.

I would like everyone to hold hands around the campfire and sing a nice song like

Better song for a campfire sing-a-long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back