The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a 100% newbie to this forum and trad. knives in general I can't claim the same deep perspective and knowledge I know many here have thus I feel a bit like a child speaking with adults. Regardless, I would like to see any knife from either Albers Cutlery or a lambs-foot from GEC and preferably with a long pull and sweet wood scales.

Frankly, don't see the point in a SAK or Mora, no real personality or ID as a Forum Knife it would just have an engraving on it, poor.:thumbsdown:

But nothing wrong with a budget type knife, why not ask Bear to make a single blade of some sort, wood or micarta? Could be OK?

I'd like a small fixed, a Bird & Trout type from Buck or what @CelloDan showed, a Grohmann :cool:

Last year's knife, made in the face of great adversity, is a big favourite of mine: superbly finished, peerless cutter, looks wonderful and is made for the hand, rather than hand-made;) So an Italian knife from say Fox would be really worthwhile, all hinges on @knifeswapper being able and once again willing to marshall it- and we should not keep on expecting that.

There have been a few favourable responses to the suggestion of a GEC 14. Maybe a farmboy. Maybe a sheepsfoot.

Why don’t we ask a dealer who has handled a forum knife or GEC SFO before if this is an option?

If not, at least we will have an answer on GEC’s interest early.

Once again I'll make a case that, if at all possible, the Traditionals Forum knife should be something that is not readily available; that is, a pattern that is not currently offered by manufacturers. The original idea when this annual tradition was started was to have a run that would bring back a rarely seen pattern, and those have been the best of the knives we've sponsored/reintroduced to the hobby. The sales generated by our forum knife has in past years allowed companies like GEC and Queen to develop new patterns and made supplies of rarer examples available for everyday use. The Moose by Queen, and the Easy Open and pattern 13 Congress Jack by GEC are perfect examples of this; very hard to find in usable condition prior to the BF Annual, and then available (if only for a short while). All three of those examples engendered multiple additional sales, and variations on the pattern; which is good for the manufacturer as well as the collector.

Just putting different scales on a current production knife is boring.

I will also argue that we need to set a limit on the number of knives to be made. There are multiple reasons why this should be done, the two most important being 1. it allows a manufacturer to enter into the production talks with a production goal from the outset, and 2. for the collector it generates exclusivity. I understand the reasoning of those who feel everyone should have an opportunity to own a knife that shows them to be part of this forum, but the fact is it doesn't work. The last couple years have seen the size of the numbers increase greatly, with sales going to a large number of "members" who have rarely participated in the discussions that build the value of this website, and who having bought, fade once again. Sales made just to generate numbers of sales devalues the product and adds little to the hobby.

And this brings up the question of price.

I have argued for years now that trying to stay below $100 is a ridiculous limitation of both the possibility of finding a manufacturer and the idea that a set number of available knives will sell. Last years offering (thanks again to those who made it possible) proved this. We went well over the $100 mark, and we sold a larger than ever number of knives. I understand that price point may be difficult for some individuals. But I will also point out that the number of people who contribute regularly to this forum who do not spend that much annually on the hobby is so low as to be statistically nonexistent.

We would do more for our hobby to have a manufacture make a run of (for example) 100 pieces of a pattern such as the Farmers Jack at $200 each, than to have 400 Medium Stockman stamped BF Annual at $50 each.

I have supported the issuing of an Annual knife for over a decade, and will continue to do so. But I believe we need to add value to the idea; make it a little exclusive, unusual, and symbolic. And if a company like GEC won't step in to help a community that helped them get where they are today, let us look elsewhere; S&M, Albers, Cold Steel, Boker, Wi, a small custom maker, etc. I have trouble believing there's a cutlery manufacturer who won't accept a commission for $30,000+ in business.

I know GEC says no more SFOs, but if you look back at all of their annual production totals you will see that club knives are listed under a different header than the SFO runs. I’m sure it’s just a pipe dream, but they do list them differently for count purposes.

Once again I'll make a case that, if at all possible, the Traditionals Forum knife should be something that is not readily available; that is, a pattern that is not currently offered by manufacturers. The original idea when this annual tradition was started was to have a run that would bring back a rarely seen pattern, and those have been the best of the knives we've sponsored/reintroduced to the hobby. The sales generated by our forum knife has in past years allowed companies like GEC and Queen to develop new patterns and made supplies of rarer examples available for everyday use. The Moose by Queen, and the Easy Open and pattern 13 Congress Jack by GEC are perfect examples of this; very hard to find in usable condition prior to the BF Annual, and then available (if only for a short while). All three of those examples engendered multiple additional sales, and variations on the pattern; which is good for the manufacturer as well as the collector.

I will also argue that we need to set a limit on the number of knives to be made. There are multiple reasons why this should be done, the two most important being 1. it allows a manufacturer to enter into the production talks with a production goal from the outset, and 2. for the collector it generates exclusivity. I understand the reasoning of those who feel everyone should have an opportunity to own a knife that shows them to be part of this forum, but the fact is it doesn't work. The last couple years have seen the size of the numbers increase greatly, with sales going to a large number of "members" who have rarely participated in the discussions that build the value of this website, and who having bought, fade once again. Sales made just to generate numbers of sales devalues the product and adds little to the hobby.

I have argued for years now that trying to stay below $100 is a ridiculous limitation of both the possibility of finding a manufacturer and the idea that a set number of available knives will sell. Last years offering (thanks again to those who made it possible) proved this. We went well over the $100 mark, and we sold a larger than ever number of knives. I understand that price point may be difficult for some individuals. But I will also point out that the number of people who contribute regularly to this forum who do not spend that much annually on the hobby is so low as to be statistically nonexistent.

We would do more for our hobby to have a manufacture make a run of (for example) 100 pieces of a pattern such as the Farmers Jack at $200 each, than to have 400 Medium Stockman stamped BF Annual at $50 each.

I have supported the issuing of an Annual knife for over a decade, and will continue to do so. But I believe we need to add value to the idea; make it a little exclusive, unusual, and symbolic. And if a company like GEC won't step in to help a community that helped them get where they are today, let us look elsewhere; S&M, Albers, Cold Steel, Boker, Wi, a small custom maker, etc. I have trouble believing there's a cutlery manufacturer who won't accept a commission for $30,000+ in business.
How would you decide who gets the 100 knives?

How would you decide who gets the 100 knives?

Yeah, I don't like this idea at all. There's enough snobbery around this hobby as it is. A $400 knife is going to knock a lot of people out of the race, maybe most. Setting a unrealistic bar to be one of The Chosen sends a pretty powerful message, and the idea that financial exclusion would somehow lead to the betterment of the community... Well, I just don't know how you can justify that.

I'm first and foremost a Buck collector, been at it since the 80's. The BCC was always cliquish, but there were loads of working-man class knives to be had, so I just let them do their thing. There was always a call for 'special' annual knives, and at some point around 1990 the cost of these 'special' annual knives just went through the roof. Lots of us stopped buying. It looks like this is what many here want.

It's just a hobby.

Now, I do agree that $100 is an unrealistic price for a custom knife, but $400, I think, is unreasonable if you want significant participation. Speaking solely for myself, $200 would probably price me out of the market depending on what was being offered.

It's just a suggestion (I don't know if it's viable), to be different it could be Le Thiers Pocket by Fontenille Pataud!!!

That would be awesome! But I think it would be difficult because a) it’s a foreign company which none of our BF dealers have affiliation with, and b) it would be closer to $200 than $100 depending on what we asked for.

I wonder if one of the Italian makers would be willing to make a historic, regional pattern knife, though?

For myself, I think GEC would be great, but recall from recent years that we’d have to jump on whatever pattern they have planned in their schedule and ask for customized covers, features, and stamp.

If Mike is willing, the Italian route worked very well, it seemed, last year. Viper, Fox, or Lionsteel could do it, and could probably be persuaded to give us a unique pattern if it could become something they could sell beyond our Forum run.

eisman eisman totally agree, spot on. You get my vote for forum knife president :D.

I especially agree about the $100 price point. My preference would be for the price to be eliminated completely. It feels like some years we are adding things to make the $100 price point, while other times it's limiting. If the forum decides we want a $60 SAK or a $160 S&M or GEC then that's what we should go with.

Frankly, don't see the point in a SAK or Mora, no real personality or ID as a Forum Knife it would just have an engraving on it, poor.
As opposed to last year's Viper?
I guess laser etching the forum name on the blade made it much more special. ;)
Don't get me wrong, I like last year's knife and it's the only forum knife I have bought.

We would do more for our hobby to have a manufacture make a run of (for example) 100 pieces of a pattern
How would you even begin to decide who gets one?
An early reserve where you race everybody to get in line?
Perhaps a lottery system where it's luck of the draw?
These already frustrate people with regular runs.
I thought the whole idea was giving all our members a chance to own something truly special?

I would think companies are more likely to manufacture a knife if the number is higher. If i recall correctly, that was one of the issues last year. Viper wasnt going to do it if there was only going to be 100-200. Of course i like the idea of the knife being exclusive but its harder to get companies to go out of their way for us. If people want the knife to be more for only contributors then make it only for paying members, but again, we might need to get above a certain number of knives. Staying under $200 is much more sensible than staying under $100.

On the larger runs of forum knives, sales weren’t made just to make sales. Sales were made because there was a minimum order set by the manufacturer to get he knife made. I agree the knife should be something different/special if possible, but if that’s not possible I would also be fine with something more run of the mill that we do as a group.

I think the annual forum knife should be inclusive, not exclusive. One of the things I’ve liked about it is that it has been available. Anyone on here can get it. Keep in mind, as far as I know, this is not the Traditional Forum knife. It is a Blade Forums knife that is done in the traditional forum, available to anyone on Blade Forums. Some of those unrecognized names that show up could be frequenting other parts of the forum.

I also agree that $100 may be too limiting, but that number is not set in stone. Last year’s knife was more than $100. I do think we need to try to stay in that range, though. You suggest 100 knives at $30,000+. That’s $300+ per knife, which in my opinion is way too much for a knife that I think should be available to most. I’m sure there are plenty of people on this forum that wont spend $100 on a knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back