Test ad

The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

afishhunter

Basic Member
Just putting different scales on a current production knife is boring. (I agree)

And this brings up the question of price.

understand that price point may be difficult for some individuals. But I will also point out that the number of people who contribute regularly to this forum who do not spend that much annually on the hobby is so low as to be statistically nonexistent.
Hmmm ... If I'm "lucky" I might be able to spend $100 to $150 a year on knives.
$25 to me is a lot of money to spend on anything based on my quote/unquote "income". After I pay my rent/R&B at the assisted living facility, I have roughly $40 a month left over. (Edit: I haven't owned a vehicle since 1995 or 1996. I decided then that gas and insurancs cost way too much.)
If I were to leave and get a senior apartment, I'd have even less after rent, utilities, and the grocer. In fact, I'd probably be in the hole.

I guess I should stop coming here, because I can't afford better than the basic Rough Ryder, have to save up for a BTI Old Timer, and I'm guessing the vast majority of my posts over the years have been non-contributing to whatever the conversation was?

Last edited:

foofie

Gold Member
First off, I plan to get any forum knife.
Second - I want to recognize some of the dealers who have helped bring previous versions to us, @knifeswapper and @waynorth.
I am a recent convert to traditional knives - and it seems more are interested than ever? As such, I do wonder if we would have the volume for a Case SFO? Maybe a re-issue of a Case Bose? I would love a GEC or Albers, but I worry that demand will far outstrip supply.

JohnDF

Gold Member
BF members with the most “Likes” get first dibs.
I wonder what my "spot in line" would be worth on the secondary market? ;):D:rolleyes:

I would argue this displays two points we would do well to consider; first, last years knife is not especially collectable, and second, the volume and cost seem to have been generally acceptable.
Exactly why I bought last year's knife. ;)
For me... it's enough that it's a forum knife, represents what the forum is all about, and it's not all about the "worth" or "collect ability" of the knife.

mbkr

Gold Member
Buck 303 like the 301 forum knife, more pocket friendly
I'd buy two of these.
I'd also like a Buck 310 type whittler on the 303 or 301 frame. Too bad Buck's not doing any special orders for the foreseeable future.

r8shell

Platinum Member
I wonder what my "spot in line" would be worth on the secondary market? ;):D:rolleyes:

Exactly why I bought last year's knife. ;)
For me... it's enough that it's a forum knife, represents what the forum is all about, and it's not all about the "worth" or "collect ability" of the knife.
:D Well said. :thumbsup:

And so, the true first sign of Spring has come; we can hear the excited murmur of the flock of Curmudgeons:

"I don't want it unless it's a GEC."
"I don't want it, if it is a GEC!"
"Everyone should be able to get one."
"A collectable is only valuable if someone else can't have it."
"I have no intention to buy one, but here are my strong opinions on the matter, anyway."
"PunchNut!"

Duper

Gold Member
Thi
Case Copperhead with nicely jigged bone handles...... Since Case is running Copperheads this year they might run 400-500 for us??......

This seems like a reasonable idea. On the factory tour a couple of years back they told a fellow participant that they do special runs for clubs and the like. The number was not anywhere nears the hundreds to get into the queue.

,,,Mike in Canada

jwb01

Gold Member
I would love to see a forum knife done this year. But two things. First, my 90 day production times out of Maniago have become 7+ months. I have 4 projects going (2 left over from last year) between 3 companies and am not keen on taking on another one. Finally, my business has fallen off a cliff and I am spending a good bit of my time trying to pay the bills by other means. Between those, leukemia treatments for one kid, and trying to hound the other (junior in high school) to work on respectable ACT scores - I am generally covered up. So if it is at all possible for me to bow out this year without ill feelings - I would appreciate it. If things clear up and I can be of any assistance - I will be the first to jump in.

No worries Mike! May God bless and be with you and yours.

Elgatodeacero

Gold Member
Great ideas everyone! Good enthusiasm, especially from some of the “never knifers”!

r8shell r8shell you are a funny gal!

@knifeswapper your past efforts are what kept this annual knife alive... we are all grateful and wish many blessings on you and your family.

Everyone please remember the title of the thread...... there is no official approval for this from @Spark , so this unofficial, non binding discussion really does carry no weight.

While a GEC, a Viper, an Albers, or a Buck would be really wonderful, we should also be willing to consider almost any option, so any idea is a good idea... please keep the discussion going as it may help us find a viable path to success.

I think a Mora could be really great and different, just not sure if they would indulge our group?
For example, Mora makes handles of curly birch on a few high end culinary knives, so maybe they would pair the birch with a Garberg or Eldris blade and special color sheath?

And so, the true first sign of Spring has come; we can hear the excited murmur of the flock of Curmudgeons:

"I have no intention to buy one, but here are my strong opinions on the matter, anyway."
"PunchNut!"
You forgot to comment on the pull.

The Amazing Virginian

Gold Member
Hmmm ... If I'm "lucky" I might be able to spend $100 to $150 a year on knives.
$25 to me is a lot of money to spend on anything based on my quote/unquote "income". After I pay my rent/R&B at the assisted living facility, I have roughly $40 a month left over. (Edit: I haven't owned a vehicle since 1995 or 1996. I decided then tbat gas and insurancs cost way too much.)
If I were to leave and get a senior apartment, I'd have even less after rent, utilities, and the grocer. In fact, I'd probably be in the hole.

I guess I should stop coming here, because I can't afford better than the basic Rough Ryder, have to save up for a BTI Old Timer, and I'm guessing the vast majority of my posts over the years have been non-contributing to whatever the conversation was?
No one is saying that you should stop posting here or that you do not contribute to conversations. But I submit that financially, you are an extreme outlier. And IMO it does not really make a lot of sense to tailor any BF knife or its price point to such an extreme outlier, just as it would not make sense to tailor to the folks here with annual incomes in the mid-six or seven figures. It is literally impossibe to cater to everyone's tastes and personal situations here with such a diverse crowd, but I think it is a good goal to please most folks. BTW, IMO Rough Ryders are underrated.

I would like to purchase a 2021 BF knife if it becomes possible. I am likely to buy whatever folks agree on, but there are some things that probably would keep me out (e.g., a hawkbill or talon blade which I do not find to be useful).

Personally, I would be especially partial to anything with an option for wood covers - especially osage orange, ebony, cocobolo or ironwood. I would prefer two blades of different types - maybe a spearpoint and a wharncliffe. Kind of tired of 1095 steel . . . maybe something closer to the 21st century would be nice. Even AEBL would be an improvement. But none of that is necessarily a deal breaker for me.

Sacto

Basic Member
How is this a problem? In past years we have done everything from cash on the barrelhead to reserves, both of which had repercussions for those involved with the actual manufacture. If you can meet the conditions of the sale at the time they are proposed (by whoever would be willing to take on the financial burden of this venture) than do so. If you cannot, perhaps better planning on your part is indicated. It's not like this has ever just sprung up out of nowhere and surprised everyone.

As for the number, I don't care what it is; although the more we reserve the greater the chance someone's s going to get stuck at the end because a significant number of those who reserve without paying fail to see it through. (Members of the Traditional Forum stepped up last year to make sure all the knives were purchased.) And, as a guy who's manufactured, and had manufactured, items over the past 40 years, I can say I would never enter into a conversation without a pretty solid number of the final items to be delivered. It is impossible to set a price on the product without that.

It is not the number of items that makes the sale. It is the amount of profit to the manufacturer. 100 @ $400 ea. does not equal 200 @ $200 ea. or 400 @ $100 ea. to the guy making them.

You would be incorrect. Spark has also had other "Annual" knives available in (at least) two other forums that I know of. The Traditional Forum has the distinction of making their knife a true Traditional Annual for over 15 years strictly due to the members of the Traditional Forum. No other forum on this BBS has managed to demonstrate that cohesiveness among the regular members. No one on this forum has ever suggested we limit the sales strictly to individuals who participate on this forum. But neither have we strayed beyond the accepted definition of a traditional pattern as a representative (although in my opinion last years offering ran pretty close.) This is one of the reasons names being put forth for consideration are not Chris Reeves, Strider, Mora, etc. (although I'd love to see a CRK traditional pattern as a Traditional Forums annual).
Ok. I thought I remembered discussion another year that it couldn’t have “Traditional forum” or “porch” on it because it was a “Blade Forums” knife and not actually a subforum knife. But, I stand corrected.

abbydaddy

Gold Member
I would love to see a forum knife done this year. But two things. First, my 90 day production times out of Maniago have become 7+ months. I have 4 projects going (2 left over from last year) between 3 companies and am not keen on taking on another one. Finally, my business has fallen off a cliff and I am spending a good bit of my time trying to pay the bills by other means. Between those, leukemia treatments for one kid, and trying to hound the other (junior in high school) to work on respectable ACT scores - I am generally covered up. So if it is at all possible for me to bow out this year without ill feelings - I would appreciate it. If things clear up and I can be of any assistance - I will be the first to jump in.

Speaking for myself at least, there is no reason for you to ever feel obligated to deal with the forum knife. Your past efforts are greatly appreciated.

I hope that business picks up, and far more strongly I hope that your family has health and success. It sounds like you have the right priorities to focus on. We'll still be arguing over here when you have the bandwidth to deal with us again ;)

Modoc ED

Gold Member

"PunchNut!"

You forgot the Fruit Basket and Whistle demands.

rcs86

Wanna be lawn master/duck hunter
Gold Member
Platinum Member
Like others have said, no matter what we hopefully end up on, I am in for one. The tradition of it is just great. I have managed to get them back to 2015 and they are each special in their own way. Can't wait!