The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramrodmb

Gold Member
For a forum knife I believe it should be in a size that is legal in most countries.

This comes up every year and ends up being VERY limiting. It would negate a fixed blade knife, any kind of knife with a locking mechanism as well as many different handle materials. We'd end up with a tiny knife with plastic handles and that still wouldn't cover all countries.

Last edited:

Nebrasketball

Gold Member
I’m very excited that Charlie is willing to be our intermediary with GEC. I say we have him test the waters with them. Go with a single blade (to keep costs down) of a pattern that they have on the schedule for later in the year (more likely to get made). If we are lucky enough to get GEC on board, I think having a few flippers glom on is probably inevitable. The vast majority of members would be happy to have another GEC without the scramble.

Last edited:

Peregrin

Traditional Forum Moderator
Gold Member
"I don't want it unless it's a GEC."
"I don't want it, if it is a GEC!"
"Everyone should be able to get one."
"A collectable is only valuable if someone else can't have it."
"I have no intention to buy one, but here are my strong opinions on the matter, anyway."
"PunchNut!"
It's like Groundhog Day, Rachael!

Dadpool

Gold Member
Cart well before the horse, but as ever I will voice a preference for a stainless steel blade and covers not made of bone, antler, or horn (unless naturally shed, like the elk used in the 2018 forum knife).

I treasure my 2015 and 2018 forum knives, and would love to add a third one to my small traditional collection. :)

TrZSwdN.jpg

Dadpool

Gold Member
I'm new to the forum but interested in the forum knife. How would someone sign up? Thanks.

If there's a forum knife at all, that stage is generally several months into the year; an announcement thread in this subforum would go up. This is a purely notional discussion at this stage. :D

Matt_WY

Gold Member
65CFD249-F214-4000-AE37-D07E4C2CBE26.jpeg
Hopefully Charlie will have a little luck in his conversation with GEC. OKCA was able to offer a 38 whittler as their club knife. Price was $125 + 10 for shipping (not bad for three blades). It was a small run though of just 100. Maybe we could run off this frame with a farmer jack, or just a single hawkbill blade?

Jack Black

Gold Member
View attachment 1522563
Hopefully Charlie will have a little luck in his conversation with GEC. OKCA was able to offer a 38 whittler as their club knife. Price was $125 + 10 for shipping (not bad for three blades). It was a small run though of just 100. Maybe we could run off this frame with a farmer jack, or just a single hawkbill blade?

Since that knife is actually a Wharncliffe Whittler, another variation would be an actual Wharncliffe Knife (Wharncliffe and Pen). While it's not one of my favourite patterns, and I'm not sure GEC could do it on a single spring without blade-rub, it's certainly both a historic, and genuinely traditional pattern.

meako

Gold Member
The water in Porchenberg harbour was a dull grey murky soup.
The Captain Neptune lolled at anchor but the ropes holding her to the quayside were slowly tightening as the tide brought her up straight.
A flock of Curmudgeons ( thank you @r8shell ) flapped past in the brightening dawn....their lazy wing beats keeping time with their plaintive and frankly irritating honking.
"If only they were good to eat " muttered the Bosun eyeing the birds and gazing through the pre dawn horizon.
" Theyre not bad if ye stew em up with some rocks ." Stated the Captain as he strode aboard.." You put in the pot with some cobblestones and when the stones is dissolved...Curmudgeon be a fine meal.".

scrteened porch

Gold Member
Hmmm ... If I'm "lucky" I might be able to spend $100 to $150 a year on knives.
$25 to me is a lot of money to spend on anything based on my quote/unquote "income". After I pay my rent/R&B at the assisted living facility, I have roughly $40 a month left over. (Edit: I haven't owned a vehicle since 1995 or 1996. I decided then that gas and insurancs cost way too much.)
If I were to leave and get a senior apartment, I'd have even less after rent, utilities, and the grocer. In fact, I'd probably be in the hole.

I guess I should stop coming here, because I can't afford better than the basic Rough Ryder, have to save up for a BTI Old Timer, and I'm guessing the vast majority of my posts over the years have been non-contributing to whatever the conversation was?
Stick around anyway.

afishhunter

Gold Member
But I submit that financially, you are an extreme outlier. And IMO it does not really make a lot of sense to tailor any BF knife or its price point to such an extreme outlier, just as it would not make sense to tailor to the folks here with annual incomes in the mid-six or seven figures. It is literally impossibe to cater to everyone's tastes and personal situations here with such a diverse crowd, but I think it is a good goal to please most folks.
I've never once in the years I've been here suggested the price be adjusted to fit the poor, nor to adjust the price to be exclusive to those with six and higher figure incomes.
Prior to my "minor" (the doctor's term) stroke in 2018, my living situation was different. I had considerably more "disposable" income per month.
Sadly, I cannot return to where I was living then.
I did buy the 2018 Buck 301 Forum Knife. At that time, it was the most expensive knife I'd ever bought. (I later bought two SK Blades "Lil' Jack" Buck 112's; one for me, and one for my nephew's high school graduation present (he graduated high school at age 11, so I figured he deserved something "special"), and an SK Blades "The Gentleman" Buck 110. Both the 112 and 110 cost a couple dollars more than the 301 Forum knife.
However, I've yet to spend $100 on a knife, and even if the funds were available, I still wouldn't. Too many good sub $50 ~ $60 knives out there. Why spend $100 for one that won't be twice as good?
"Diminishing Returns" I believe it's called.

The years prior to 2018, I had no interest in the forum knife.
The 2019 and 2020 Forum Knives didn't interest me, either, so even if I still had the available funds, I still would have passed.

I'm not a "collector". If I know I won't carry or use a knife, I have zero interest in buying it.
Unless a (two blade) Barlow, I know I won't carry or use a knife that is under 3 5/8 inch closed, and I won't carry or use a single blade Barlow.
I prefer two or more blades on/in my pocketknives.
(NOTE: I do not consider the Buck 110/Old Timer 6OT/70T and Buck 112 to be a "pocketknife". They are a folding belt knife.)

I think I might have three single blade slipjoints (including a folding linoleum/pruning/ "Hawkbill" knife) in my accumularion of 60 plus knives. None of the three are carried or used.
I did try them, just not for me.
As all are/were sub $10 knives new, they have no selling value.
I may get around to gifting them, should I get access to them again, and find someone who needs it ... tho I will probably put the 100% stainless steel Marbles fishing knife in my tackle box, on the off chance I'll find and catch another fish in however many years/ months/days/hours and minutes I got left. :D

I thought the goal of the Forum Knife polls was to come up with something that did/does please the majority?

Last edited:
I'm going to expand the idea I tossed out on page 3: Benchmade Proper with uncoated M4 blade, Dymondwood scales.
  • Proper - a tradition-inspired knife, quite popular, but not made in this configuration.
  • M4 - the benefits of a super-steel, but it will still patina like a traditional knife, and Benchmade uses it for other things.
  • Dymondwood - looks good, very tough, Benchmade uses it for other things.
I don't know if Benchmade has ever made club knives for anybody, but they do make dealer exclusives, including for DLT, a supporting dealer here (and one that hasn't gouged everybody in the GEC lollyscrambles).

@[email protected] is this just crazy talk? Or can something like this happen?

-Tyson

I'll second this idea of a Benchmade Proper.

Benchmade has made several forum knives for their own forum over the years, and they regularly make exclusives for dealers, so it may be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.