The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Amazing Virginian

Gold Member
The argument about hounding is, of course, a false one because Bill is, to my knowledge, not a participant in Bladeforums nor is he a participant in the voting process. Every GEC forum knife design is finalised before being put to the manufacturer.

But, if those facts suit people, I guess they can adopt them.

The problem is, all of the justifications for having a forum knife and being irate about other clubs poaching ideas etc, completely fall away if this process is no longer the tradition it has always been, and instead becomes the cheapest option to secure a sought after GEC pattern. Just like SFOs became before Bill had had enough.

I doubt this annual tradition would survive long if unabashed greed became its raison d’etre.
Is that really your concern here? Unabashed greed? I do not find that the majority of folks who post here are greedy - quite the opposite.

Anyway, if that is your concern then I have a solution (there are others). Just sell the forum knife at FMV - which I'm guessing for the particular knife which has been proposed, based upon recent sales of similar knives, would be about $200 (?). I'm fine with that. Are you?

If not, then no matter what else you want us to do here, how would you propose to eliminate the issue of which you are complaining in this particular post? Because I do not see how voting on patterns and features and all the other stuff about which you have been complaining here is going to change ANY of that so long as the BF knife is a GEC knife and is priced below the going prices in the market for other GEC knives. How would YOU eliminate the issue of which you are complaining here? Use a different maker? That might do it. Anyone in mind? TIA!

CelloDan

Basic Member
That was nice, wasn't it?
Probably why it was the very first Forum Knife I purchased while passing on the previous ones. It felt more like a representation and celebration of the forum, rather than just a chance to grab a hot commodity that nobody else could have.

I really like how you stated it John. I admire and respect that very much.
It is supposed to be a "celebration" of our forum and all the good things on the Porch.

I bought my 2019 as a newcomer with no a clue of what had transpired before.
I was totally elated by it. My "first BladeForums knife" !!!
I found out much later that not everything had been smooth sailing for our Sailor's knife.

This year I jumped for joy when Charlie posted the mock up.

I will still get it if I can but some of the shine of this knife has been knocked off.
I know I'll have some mixed feelings about it when/if I finally get to hold it.

I am all for a healthy debate however some of the animosity here and in other corners of BF was just uncalled for and over the top.

Such is life I guess, a mixed bag, nothing is perfect ever.

I'll try to focus on all the positive things this knife means as well and leave the negatives behind.

Pàdruig

Live and Let Die
Platinum Member
I really like how you stated it John. I admire and respect that very much.
It is supposed to be a "celebration" of our forum and all the good things on the Porch.

I bought my 2019 as a newcomer with no a clue of what had transpired before.
I was totally elated by it. My "first BladeForums knife" !!!
I found out much later that not everything had been smooth sailing for our Sailor's knife.

This year I jumped for joy when Charlie posted the mock up.

I will still get it if I can but some of the shine of this knife has been knocked off.
I know I'll have some mixed feelings about it when/if I finally get to hold it.

I am all for a healthy debate however some of the animosity here and in other corners of BF was just uncalled for and over the top.

Such is life I guess, a mixed bag, nothing is perfect ever.

I'll try to focus on all the positive things this knife means as well and leave the negatives behind.

Dan, please don't let the contention dampen your enthusiasm. We are a bunch of opinionated folks with strong passions for what has brought us all together in the first place. Locking horns, butting heads, and heated banter are going to occur and always has, particularly with regards to our annual knife. It's all a part of the process - for better or worse.

We are going to get a very fine knife this year, there really isn't any reason for us not to be excited about it - especially as we ponder what sort of cover options we might have at our disposal.

meako

Gold Member
I’m guessing he meant this one:
Of course I meant this one...I wrote it...and if that doesnt get his attention....the ceremonial lighting of the BagPiper will I'm sure....
Meanwhile in his secret laboratory on top of old Porchenberg Hill evil Meako aka Snidely Whiplash is in his monstrous glory...:
Thats right my prettys...keep the controversies flowing....for surely this will increase flippability...yaaiirssss nyairrrsss...the most controversial porch kife ever.a hhhaaaa haaa haahahha
...ahha..ha.

Pàdruig

Live and Let Die
Platinum Member
It felt more like a representation and celebration of the forum, rather than just a chance to grab a hot commodity that nobody else could have.

This will be the 5th Forum Knife that I have been a part of since joining - the 2016 knife doesn't count since it was gifted to me after I joined the forums. I would argue that every knife that I have been a part of selecting since has been a representation of our sub forum - for better or for worse. I enjoy the process, I like spirited debate, and though there is always heat, I have become accustomed to such - I think it demonstrates that we all have opinions and we share a great love for this hobby (in its myriad of facets).

When that knife gets shipped and into the hands of us enthusiasts, it is indeed a celebration.

I love the brand... but absolutely hate the availability and lolliscrambles... enough to keep me away.
So, I'm a little disillusioned as a whole, but still look at them with lust in my eye. :eek: :D

I get that. Admittedly, GEC acquisitions have become less fun for me as well in these past months - mostly because we can't have a discussion about a release without it devolving into a "Darn those blasted flippers!" heat fest. What irks me most is that there are folks who think that GEC is to blame and that they are intentionally creating this ruckus - they are (flatly put) wrong. The market is where it is at because of the consumers and that is not a factor that can be controlled all that well - at least not with any semblance of efficiency.

I think things will sort themselves out - these last couple of years are so different from anything most of us have ever experienced before. I am choosing to be patient and adopt more of a "wait-and-see" approach.

CelloDan

Basic Member
Dan, please don't let the contention dampen your enthusiasm. We are a bunch of opinionated folks with strong passions for what has brought us all together in the first place. Locking horns, butting heads, and heated banter are going to occur and always has, particularly with regards to our annual knife. It's all a part of the process - for better or worse.

We are going to get a very fine knife this year, there really isn't any reason for us not to be excited about it - especially as we ponder what sort of cover options we might have at our disposal.

Thank you Dylan, I much appreciated :thumbsup: !

I value your insights my friend and the way and skill you have to wade into heated topics always showing respect for all the views presented while making your point at the same time.

JohnDF

Gold Member
I think it demonstrates that we all have opinions and we share a great love for this hobby
A great way to look at it. :cool::thumbsup:
I will try to keep that in mind as we navigate these waters. :)

What about glow-in-the-dark galactic glitter covers and a Starfleet logo shield?
You know, I'd be 100% in favor of that, but I'm sure I'd be in the minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.