The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking only for myself on the topic of GEC, I tend to be one of the folks opposed to a GEC forum knife for two reasons.

First, the price constraints of the forum knife generally mean that if it is a GEC knife these days, it will probably be a single blade knife, and I don't carry single blade traditionals very much.

Second (and more importantly for me), GEC never does stainless. I know that they have historically, but very rarely. I am a sweaty guy, and I dislike patina, and I dislike the taste that carbon steel can impart to fruit (this is one that really doesn't bother a lot of folks, maybe I am just weird). I just have a hard time getting myself to use carbon steel blades. Every single GEC knife I have ever had, I would much prefer to have in 440C. The only GEC knives I buy are forum knives (because I will enjoy the craftsmanship and symbolism even if I never carry the knife), and the occasional pattern that I just want so much that I am willing to accept the 1095. Usually that is a pattern (like the whaler) that no one else does these days. But I would ALWAYS rather the knife be stainless.

So basically, my general opposition to GEC is just because I know that if the forum knife is a GEC, I'll buy it and chicken-eye and coon-finger it a bit, and then it will just live in my safe with the rest of the GECs. I prefer users, and I don't own any GECs that meet my definition of a user.

This year's knife will be a great option for a safe queen. I love the looks of Barlows, but never use them. I like the clip blade. The bolsters look heckin' sweet. This might be my ideal GEC forum knife. It is one that was always destined to be a safe queen and objet d'art for me, so it will be a perfect fit for the craftsmanship of GEC, even if it never cuts a thing.

Speaking only for myself on the topic of GEC, I tend to be one of the folks opposed to a GEC forum knife for two reasons.

those are both legitimate reasons, and I get it. One of the strengths of a slip joint over modern folders is the multiblade capacity, and it sure would be nice to have a 440C GEC for my pockets.

honestly I’ve been carrying carbon almost exclusively since 2018, and I forget what it’s like to have a knife I don’t wipe off shortly after cutting food.

nodolphins.jpg

I wish there was a way to laser engrave our name or BF user name along the inside of the back spring. I'd be happy with it along the spine of the knife actually. Each knife you order would be personalized to you. But I'm sure that would add immensely to the cost.
I've actually (jokingly) suggested over the past few GEC BF offerings that we make this mandatory to help thwart flipping.

On an unrelated topic, I'm thinking about changing my username to "1 of 1":D

I can see before me the only route for us to go that will lead to a knife that will have the flippers at a loss.

we are going to have to get gec to not label this knife as a gec knife. Sterile marking... aside for the bladeforums stamp of course

I can see before me the only route for us to go that will lead to a knife that will have the flippers at a loss.

we are going to have to get gec to not label this knife as a gec knife. Sterile marking... aside for the bladeforums stamp of course
nooooooooooo that will make it even more exclusive. The 'only' GEC not marketed as a GEC, yada yada. :eek::)

Pretty much the only way to get make it less appealing would be to have them use a pattern that is historically less popular like the 97 or the 06, and then have them make a lot of them.

nooooooooooo that will make it even more exclusive. The 'only' GEC not marketed as a GEC, yada yada. :eek::)

too true.

Pretty much the only way to get make it less appealing would be to have them use a pattern that is historically less popular like the 97 or the 06, and then have them make a lot of them.

Im just fooling... i dont expect these to get into the hands of enough flippers to matter.

All those gec knives that were just sitting around got gobbled up by the flippers because they only see G$E$C$ So even if a pattern wasnt highly sought before, they will try their best to snag them up so they can set the market.

My mother is a good (strict) Christian woman and would not be caught dead sullying her ears with Elvis - that said, I did get a rare admission many years ago that she thought he had a nice voice. I don't know why but I got a huge kick out of that - she was so sheepish about it.
That's interesting. My mother had several Elvis albums and they were all gospel music. She liked his versions of gospel songs.

I really like Elvis gospel albums :) … end of confession time lol
I love Blsde Forums. I like to look at pictures. The conversation gets elitist at times. This thread is a clear example. Millions of pictures. Good commentary on knife history and more. Friends can be and are made here. Basic membership kills the crummy ads and it's a great place to hide from people, problems, and politics for a while..This is politics. Forum politics. Pure and simple. The cancel culture. Allowed once a year to purchase a what has become an elitist object and symbol. The few, the proud, the humble... "my opinion". BTW, nice kick at the beliefs of the people who gather here. Lots of them as indicated by their signatures.

I love Blsde Forums. I like to look at pictures. The conversation gets elitist at times. This thread is a clear example. Millions of pictures. Good commentary on knife history and more. Friends can be and are made here. Basic membership kills the crummy ads and it's a great place to hide from people, problems, and politics for a while..This is politics. Forum politics. Pure and simple. The cancel culture. Allowed once a year to purchase a what has become an elitist object and symbol. The few, the proud, the humble... "my opinion". BTW, nice kick at the beliefs of the people who gather here. Lots of them as indicated by their signatures.
I think you are reading more into that post you quoted than is warranted. I’ve never known CelloDan CelloDan to throw cheap shots on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back