The "Whatever" Thread

Been a good weekend so far. Connie’s last night shift was Wednesday night, she starts days again Monday. Emily spent the night last night, we will take her home to Indiana today. Hayley and Hanna are spending the night tonight.

Good job, Mykel -

I have had the doors open on my Colorado a couple times - once to replace speakers, and most recently to tighten up the bolts on the door handle. It's easy to get into the doors. The truck has been fairly easy to work on, except that darn exhaust manifold that cracked. Those are not cheap or easy on an inline 5 cylinder engine....

The front brakes are poorly thought out as well - you have to remove the hubs to replace a rotor.

best

mqqn
Wait a minute, your exhaust manifold cracked?
Mine too.
Hmm, something smells fishy here, or more like exhaust fumes.
Did you replace the manifold yourself?

Wait a minute, your exhaust manifold cracked?
Mine too.
Hmm, something smells fishy here, or more like exhaust fumes.
Did you replace the manifold yourself?

No - it was the week before Christmas - truck started running poorly - engine light etc - so I took it to a buddy who owns what used to be a Meineke shop - it was almost $1K and he said he had two guys working on it all day. The part was $500. I have 160K miles on the truck, and when that happened it was 140K, so I have my use on it for certain. That casting is pretty impressive, but thermal cycling and the thin walls and complex shape all worked against it. I wish there was a good header pipe - maybe if it happens again I'll have my friend custom fab one, although that would be worth more than the truck at this point.

Still runs like a top and has no (apparent) rust issues....
IMG_20160229_120809548_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160226_174901851_HDR.jpg

best

mqqn

No - it was the week before Christmas - truck started running poorly - engine light etc - so I took it to a buddy who owns what used to be a Meineke shop - it was almost $1K and he said he had two guys working on it all day. The part was $500. I have 160K miles on the truck, and when that happened it was 140K, so I have my use on it for certain. That casting is pretty impressive, but thermal cycling and the thin walls and complex shape all worked against it. I wish there was a good header pipe - maybe if it happens again I'll have my friend custom fab one, although that would be worth more than the truck at this point.

Still runs like a top and has no (apparent) rust issues....
IMG_20160229_120809548_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160226_174901851_HDR.jpg

best

mqqn
Thanks for the reply Andy. It took 2 experienced mechs all day? Sounds daunting, but I'll be giving it a go myself cuz there's no way I can have the dealership do it.
I was thinking of trying some good old JB Weld to patch it up, not sure if it would hold up though.
Your Z71 is looking good for all the miles it has.
Mine is under 70k so I was surprised to learn of the cracked manifold.
Never heard of an exhaust manifold cracking on any vehicle before mine.

Camped over the weekend with family and friends. It was a trip we had planned for several weeks, Even though there were a couple last minute cancellations we had a great time. During the course of the weekend I received a text message from work offering overtime if I wanted it. I turned down 32 hours of time and a half pay and had no problem doing it. When my wife told her father he couldn't believe it. She told him that my family meant more to me than his did to him. I feel sorry for people like him who don't appreciate the little things in life.

OK, so I moved.
Got it done and I am settling in and getting to know the new area and I found a cool park to wander in thanks to my sister.
We went there last year and I posted a couple a pics then, but we didn't walk the whole trail then so today we did.
Not real long, but it's a good walk up and back with plenty of side trails to the river.

Last year we saw a beaver swimming along in the river and this morning we saw a fawn on the trail.
So cute and it just had to check us out so it got fairly close before getting a snoot full of our sent and boogieing on outta there.
Gopax6o.jpg

OPatRI2.jpg

The trail.
8tcuYiN.jpg

Beaver chewed tree. No idea why he didn't finish the job.
WihAPl6.jpg

and the end of the trail.
Neat bunch of roots.
oPOSSJD.jpg

river shots.
EpdBZFw.jpg

Sis enjoying the cool water.
b3ZNfx3.jpg

There's a great big field at the park.
d63HOOS.jpg

and we spotted something out in it.
lm27Oz4.jpg

Looks like the fawn's ma out there.
b30PSkn.jpg

The fawn again in a cropped pic.
So friggin' cute.
RuVDeh6.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I'd pop in and say "hey". Work has been kicking my butt lately and haven't had much down time. Looking forward to the weekend. I will probably work on my HC.

Starting on my second pot of coffee while my wife and son sleep in. I don't get up as early as John does every morning but a lifetime of going to work early makes it difficult for me to lay in bed. A friend asked for my help cutting trees around his camp this morning. I have no problem helping out but hate starting late. He said we would start around 10(the forecast high today is only 90:eek:). In my opinion we should be several hours along by then.
Hope everyone has a great weekend.

In the middle of trying to start a career change, Ive been in the law enforcement/emergency management field since 21 Becoming an officer around 4 years ago. I hate to say I'm burnt out already, but Im just not happy in the field anymore.

Looking to change things up, but all my education and experience is in this one field. I'd love to learn a trade such as plumbing, electrician, etc. But for whatever reason there are absolutely no trade schools around me. Either way Im excited to be actively working towards a change. Id even settle for a steady decent paying manual labor job. A big plus if I could spend most of my time outdoors! No real reason for the post, just nice to write it down somewhere to remind myself that I'm not stuck where I'm at. Something will come along.

In the middle of trying to start a career change, Ive been in the law enforcement/emergency management field since 21 Becoming an officer around 4 years ago. I hate to say I'm burnt out already, but Im just not happy in the field anymore.

Looking to change things up, but all my education and experience is in this one field. I'd love to learn a trade such as plumbing, electrician, etc. But for whatever reason there are absolutely no trade schools around me. Either way Im excited to be actively working towards a change. Id even settle for a steady decent paying manual labor job. A big plus if I could spend most of my time outdoors! No real reason for the post, just nice to write it down somewhere to remind myself that I'm not stuck where I'm at. Something will come along.
Good luck with the new career hunt Mark.
Have you thought about being a Game Warden?
Still LEO, but you'd be helping fish and game vs those damn humans.

My youngest daughter also gave up her career as a police officer after 13 years. Said she was fed up with the politics of it all.
For the past several years she has worked part time as a dispatcher for a small department. She has now been hired full time for Will County, who dispatches fire and police for 32 communities, including ours.

More park pics.
These first few are from Sunday.
I hiked the continuation of the river trail but came at it from the other side of the park further on up the road.
ygpCqRN.jpg

Tree growing out of a stump.
FfuAYwe.jpg

Two trees growing out of a stump. I'd never seen a twofer before.
ICfgOgx.jpg

Super white fungi growing out of a tree.
LaGjP0g.jpg

Deer Mouse that ran across the trail in front of me.
V1SuYS9.jpg

And todays pics...
uCd5gjq.jpg

I got out early and there was no one on the trail but me.:thumbsup:
I went down to check out the river and spied these three youngsters getting a drink.
Pretty frigging cool.:cool:
cAVUehf.jpg

All bucks.
Piu8XGa.jpg

I continued on my way, as did the bucks and further on up the trail I spied two of them walking across the river.
No idea where the third went.
2vv7I2H.jpg

I guess the grass is greener on the other side of the river.:rolleyes:
They eventually climbed up the slope into what I presume is a field.
jyukVLu.jpg

Nice big burl on a log.
Probably Cottonwood.
F1JzbCs.jpg

ADp3J4e.jpg

So I left the river and started walking up a gated road that leads to other trails in the park.
Only trouble is I was too pooped to continue so I turned back and on my way back to the truck I run into another deer that crossed the road/trail after I had passed a bit ago.
A doe this time.
FY7odjj.jpg

Thats it for now.
Have a good one.

Back