1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 3 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Busse Combat Custom Shop Flak Jack, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 19!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

The "Whatever" Thread

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Simplejack

Simplejack Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2017
    ive been around long enough to know when you see a green and tan combo uniform time to stop what your doing and walk the other way

2. Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    tonight im gonna take my old army mountain ski boots and my whites smoke jumpers. Saddle soap clean then heat em up soak em in huberds shoe grease then throw them on the boot dryer all night.

3. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    Next time I'm up that way I'll get a couple pics. If you were going to attempt something illegal it would be a terrible place to try. The road coming in almost parallels the parking lot so anyone driving can see the entire area. It's a fair sized parking lot with less than 20 ft to the edge of the lake and no trees or shrubs nearby. I would have pushed her a little more but the look on her face when I was grinning at her as he pulled up told me the wise thing was to remain quiet.

TPVT likes this.
  4. Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    lol it was a quote from one of the first few duck dynasty episodes. Im a legal and ethical oudoorsman. I have been known to take off longer and fishing than I said I would.

5. frontiertom

frontiertom Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Trying to walk away usually doesn't do anything but, upset the warden, then they might be harder on you, depending on who it is! Most of these wardens are not really out to get anyone, they are there to take care of our forests, fish and wildlife! If it weren't for them we wouldn't have any type of wildlife left! Most of them are good people that are just doing the job they were given! That's why some law abiding citizens get hassled, because of people that are breaking the law, and that seems to be why innocent people lose the rights they had in today's world! I'm just saying!

ft

Grateful and mykel m like this.
  6. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    I think that was posted as a joke.
    I agree that the wardens are taking care of forest, fish, and wildlife. Most are good guys but in 40 some years of dealing with them he was the second most unfriendly one I've encountered. When they check my license they are only doing their job not hassling me.

7. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    The minister at the church a few blocks from our home shows his sense of humor on the church billboard. Early Dec the board read "850,000 deer in the state and I can't find 1" Last week it read " finally, now only 849,999 deer in the state"

Nature Boy and Grateful like this.
  8. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    how's his car?

Nature Boy likes this.
  9. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    Based on his sense of humor he would love that question!

1066vik likes this.
  10. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    When I hit a deer in 2013 it caused over $11000 in damages to my 2013 Escape.

11. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Just started snowing, supposed to get 4”-6” today. I’ll drive Connie to work in case it gets bad.

12. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    This snow on the ground has got me itching to go rabbit hunting. I don’t have any beagles anymore so it’s just a walk and watch activity. Anyone else like to rabbit hunt?

JK Knives likes this.
  13. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    woke up to 5" of really wet/packy snow -- the kind that squishes down and makes a sheet of slushy ice with every step.
    shoveled off the front steps, and decided it was a good day to stay home.
    plow hasn't been by yet, a couple of 4x4 farm trucks have and the snow has started back up.

at some point I'll go out and get a couple of pictures while the trees are still pretty, then scrape the drive and pile the snow up in hopes I have enough to dig out a snow cave.

Grateful and TPVT like this.
  14. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    Never had much luck hunting them but we ate a lot of rabbit when I was younger. Along with my father, uncle, and brother we had a pretty good line of box traps that were very productive. I did get out for a few hours this morning. We were hoping to stir up a grouse but they are very scarce around here. Judging by my dog's body language we may have been close to one but she never came up to point.

Grateful likes this.
  15. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Relaxing on a snowy day by stripping my guns and oiling them up.

Simplejack and Grateful like this.
  16. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    We got 7 inches here in central VA. Very pretty, but a very wet snow, makes the cedar trees bend down.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 7:42 PM
  17. B JACKSON

B JACKSON

Sep 19, 2012
    Rabbit hunting spots, GONE
    Dogs, GONE
    Desire, STILL THERE!
    Maybe next year!

When I was a teen and into my early twenties, my favorite rabbit hunting partner was Cecil Gilson of Lewistown, Illinois. He had a couple very good rabbit mutts and permission to access more small farms in Fulton County than you could hunt in a month. He was in his mid and late 80's when we were partners and that old man could walk me into the ground. Sure miss him.

Wish I could have been somebody's Cecil Gilson.:(

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 2:32 PM
    fishiker, TPVT and Grateful like this.
  18. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    this morning's view facing south standing on the west end of the back deck
    [​IMG]

19. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    I grew up in southwest Missouri where a good rabbit hound was worth real money. My dad and uncles all had good dogs. My dad and uncle Blackie ran 15” beagles, uncle Kenny ran 13”s. I sure miss hearing them run. I took those good times for granted.

dc50 likes this.
  20. B JACKSON

B JACKSON

Sep 19, 2012
    AMEN TO THAT!
    I liked them little beagles (13") but they sure could climb fences!
    My last one (Buster) was part foxhound and was 17" tall. STRONG!
    Too bad he came along after my Rabbit hunting ceased. Great Bawler!
    He thought he was a lap dog though! (My fault)
    Loved to Fish!

Grateful likes this.