The "Whatever" Thread

Well, lets see now.
I had a:
Single Six convertible 22/22mag with a small pistol scope mounted
Bought it from my dad after he killed a slew of squirrels with it .
I used it mostly for plinking, never had issues with it, however it was not as accurate for me as any of my other full sized .22. handguns(Browning Nomad, High Standard B, S&W K22)

Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag 7.5" old model Should have kept that one! Early model, very well fitted, great finish. no issues mechanically ever, even with my crappy handloads (Lee Load All). I could worry the heck out of milk cartons at 100 yards with it!

Ruger Blackhawk 45LC 7.5" New model
could not believe how poorly fitted and finished that revolver was. Ordered it sight unseen new. The grip frame stood 3/16" proud over the frame! Never shot it, sold it to someone who didn't know any better.

Italian 44mag SAA with adjust sights. bought used, just did not like, gone away Can not recall maker or importer

I now shoot a 4-5/8' Great Western II Californian 45Colt
Love this gun, not only is it beautiful (great color case hardening on frame, high polish blue barrel). but I shoot it real well!
The sights are fixed but the rear frame notch (rear sight) is wider than a Colt or a Vaquero and the sight picture for my eyes is excellant. traditional click,click,click, 5 shooter... load one. skip. load 4. lower hammer on empty chamber
This one will be put in my coffin with me.
Great Western II "Californian"

EMF's 1873 Great Western II "Californian" guns feature hammer forged steel barrels and frames that are drop forged and then CNC machined. Additionally, they have wider rear and larger front sights for faster sight acquisition. Just like the original Colts, these "period correct" revolvers have a floating firing pin in the hammer and casehardened frames. This combination of traditional aesthetics with the best modern technology makes the Great Western II the most sought after, durable and reliable single action revolver on the market.
Manufactured by F.LLI Pietta.

my 2 cents worth

Snow, snow and more snow!
It started yesterday around noon and there is still some little ice crystals coming down.
Looks like a foot, but probably only 6-8" on the ground.
I'd go have fun driving around but my tires are pert near bald, so I'll wait for the thaw in a few days.

Speaking of Ruger Blackhawks...
I've had a few.
First was a 10" in .44, then a 7.x" in .44, then another 7.x" in .44, then a Bisley in .41, then a 4.x" .357, then a 5 or 7".41.
Never could shoot the .44s comfortably thanks to the squared off rear trigger guard biting my all the time.

I have one Blackhawk. .45LC with a 5.5” inch barrel. I really love that gun.

I used to have a couple of old models - .357 & .44.
sold them off to pay bills when we were converting from a construction loan to a mortgage.
still have my Bisely Vaqueros that I used to use when I did CAS 20 years back.

I kinda wish I’d bought a .357. It would be cheaper to shoot. Still there’s something about the .45LC that just makes me happy.

My S&W model 29 .44 mag came with a 6in tube. I replaced that with a 10in Douglas bull barrel.
My Super Blackhawk came with a 10in tube I had cut down to 4 5/8".
I love shooting both of them. My dream is a 3in model 29. I will have one some day.
My Single Six is a 6in old model.
My foreman at the paper mill couldn't make it shoot straight so he sold it to me really cheap. He was trying to shoot long rifles in it and it's a magnum. With magnums it shoots like a dream. Loud little thing though.

What about favorite rifles or military surplus guns? If there is enough that people use still that makes a good companion with your JK?

The only rifle I still own is a Mossberg bolt action .22 that belonged to my Dad.

Snow, snow and more snow!
It started yesterday around noon and there is still some little ice crystals coming down.
Looks like a foot, but probably only 6-8" on the ground.
I'd go have fun driving around but my tires are pert near bald, so I'll wait for the thaw in a few days.
You're on the wrong coast. Today's forecast here is for record highs. Since Phil made his appearance Saturday we've had unbelievably warm weather. We spent Sunday pre-gaming for the superbowl drinking beer and grilling outside in the 60° sunshine.

we got 3/4" of thunder sleet last night - and it's currently windy (even by Kansas standards) and 8f, so a bit brisk.
because of the slick roads, work was cancelled -- but it's too cold to do much outside, so I'm drinking coffee and trying to plan out breakfast.

we got 3/4" of thunder sleet last night - and it's currently windy (even by Kansas standards) and 8f, so a bit brisk.
because of the slick roads, work was cancelled -- but it's too cold to do much outside, so I'm drinking coffee and trying to plan out breakfast.

My little piece of Kansas was slick as glass when I was driving home last night and the wind was sharp. It’s gonna be a cold one tonight. Thank God for Carhartt coveralls.

The ice storm missed us, all we had was rain. Going to be sub zero again tomorrow with the windchill.

My little piece of Kansas was slick as glass when I was driving home last night and the wind was sharp. It’s gonna be a cold one tonight. Thank God for Carhartt coveralls.

exactly - which is why I was not upset about getting to sleep in this morning -- although tomorrow is supposed to start out colder, at least it'll warm up close to the freezing point.
which part of the state are you in?

I flew out to Phoenix on the 13th through the 19th, returned to central Illinois and the temps plummeted to -20 degrees (actual temperature, not that fictitious "wind chill" deal), then last weekend back up to 56 degrees. Then thunderstorms complete with lighting and thunder, all while we still had 5 inches of snow and ice remaining from the previous frigid snowy week. More rain and mid 40s yesterday, and boom - today ice and 4 degrees with sustained 25mph winds.

We have a nice fire going in the fireplace and settling in for the Blackhawks game.

best

mqqn

exactly - which is why I was not upset about getting to sleep in this morning -- although tomorrow is supposed to start out colder, at least it'll warm up close to the freezing point.
which part of the state are you in?

I’m a little south of Topeka in northeast Kansas.

We've had some warm days in VA! Starting to get a little colder, maybe some flurries by Saturday, but I bet rain. I have heard that being a weathermen is the only job you can keep and be wrong about the weather almost all the time. Of course, Mother Nature is very tricky. :D

Ok, I also like the look of the Ruger Vaquero, any pics of that one with a JK or just plain pics...never have enough pics. What about JKs with Long rifles, Hawkins, or muskets, hunting attire, long hunter outfits? Don't forget about the tomahawks.

Last edited:
Back