1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 17 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KaBar Becker BK 15 Mini Camp!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK 15, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 27; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The "Whatever" Thread

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, Nov 11, 2013.

1. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    Glad you like it, I was very pleased with it too.

ty_higg likes this.
  2. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
    Now I gotta figure out what type of sheath I want to make for it. I have some ideas but not 100% sure on what I'm gonna do yet.

3. Simplejack

Simplejack Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2017
    well you inspired me I almost have a full leather shop in my garage now

ty_higg and cbach8tw like this.
  4. Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    Resized_20190408_191125.jpeg back of jvm sheath.jpg

B JACKSON, JK Knives and woodysone like this.
  5. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
    Nice have you started making anything yet or still getting tools together? (Edit didn't see your above post)

I'm also finally gonna do a WIP thread for making a sheath for one of Johns knives.This one will be perfect since I can show drawing the pattern to finishing the whole thing.

woodysone likes this.
  6. ty_higg

Dec 16, 2011
  7. Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    thanks ive spent many hours in the garage failing and teaching myself. I dont want to say how much ive dropped on leather tools. but I really like it its fun and it takes hours to make something. Im trying to figure out carving and basket weave stamping right now.(doesnt look to hot)

8. Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    post the link so I can follow it

9. ty_higg

Dec 16, 2011
    Completely understand that, My first projects I pretty much just made constant mistakes and firgot all kinds of steps. And I feel ya on the tools I just had to buy a slotted belt punch and I about had a heart attack after checking out.

For the carving and stamping I don't really have to much experience there but if you have a local Tandy store up there they will do carving classes usually for 20 bucks on the weekends. I took a basic one just to see if I wanted to start investing in the tools and it was really helpful. Also there are some really great threads by Horsewright in the sheaths and such subforum that really helped me learn. As for a good stamping and tooling reference check out Don Gonzales on YouTube. He has a lot of tutorials from the basics all the way to a 4 or 5 step video series on how to floral carve. And if there's anything I can help you with just shoot me a pm and I'd be more than happy to try and help.

And the WIP thread will be posted here on John's subforum!

Simplejack and woodysone like this.
  10. Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    ill check them out thanks

ty_higg likes this.
  11. Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    I have been swamped at work paperwork and everything else. I have been sipping some whiskey and working on leather almost every night all night. Getting pretty savy at leather craft though

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  12. frontiertom

frontiertom Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    That's one of the best states in the country, especially if you like the outdoors, the woods, hunting and fishing! That should give all your knives and you a good work out! Good luck!

mqqn likes this.
  13. frontiertom

Sep 20, 2004
    I have spent a lot of time around Tullahoma chasing trains at the old L & N depot and office there! That's a real nice area of the state! I own several property's on the other side of the state around Bumpus Mills! They are down around The Land Between the Lakes! I love that state too!

mqqn likes this.
  14. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I love trains and used to chase them for photos. I didn't know about the L&N or really any railfanning in that area, but I'll have time to figure it out I suppose.

best

mqqn

frontiertom likes this.
  15. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Mowed the grass Thursday, 2” of snow on the ground today.

Rupestris likes this.
  16. greatscoot

greatscoot I am The Walrus. Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2012
    It's still coming down by me.

Rupestris likes this.
  17. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Here too

18. frontiertom

Sep 20, 2004
    Hey Bud! The state of TN & KY has railroad history up the Wazoo! They have a nice caboose there at Tullahoma! That's a place that has had a real long railroad history! You can do a bunch of rail chasing in just TN, and there are still a few railroads running tourist trains! I still haven't completed that state!

19. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I ignored the grass on Saturday - and we got 5" of snow yesterday.

It's all gone now and supposed to be in the 70's the rest of the week - Heading to TN on Friday.

best

mqqn

20. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    We got 3” here.