1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The "Whatever" Thread

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, Nov 11, 2013.

1. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
    Yeah me and @Simplejack were talking about that earlier. I was on there pretty regular then stopped but that was before SET was the king I wanna say it was the down fall or tail end of turley. Now I’m just on there to show off my leather work to draw in some potential customers. And what is the PTBs? But I never got the turley thing they never appealed to me aesthetically I guess.

I’ll post a picture of it but the guy also had a old school kephart and a rule #9

Yeah and there prices to be a craftsman or whatever besides a hobby seller is utterly ridiculous last time I checked. But I’ll let you know what I think about the mud turtle it looks like a real workhorse of a blade!

bikerector likes this.
  2. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
    Never mind that answers it!

3. ty_higg

Dec 16, 2011
    F0612DEE-5E91-4E74-8231-B1E98FA0BCF5.jpeg

Here’s the turtle

glennbad and bikerector like this.
  4. Simplejack

Simplejack Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Lol that set guy is a con artist.his knives Look like poop too. I've never wanted one I only like johns and Dave beck knives.

ty_higg likes this.
  5. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Morning dose of micarta.

Turns out my current horizontal carry is a bit long for EDC on this one, which is fine since it will be good for hiking and the HCL is going to be the EDC of choice of the group anyway. Soon...

Don't mind the scratches, I got careless sharpening it and nicked up the sides a bit on a few swipes. Rushing leads to mistakes... I think most of that is the lint and stuff from the leather sheath. I really messed up the other side :oops:. Not going to matter when I get it out into the woods and get it dirty anyway. This thing's is crying to get worked over. It's everything I wanted my old bushbaby knife to be, but the handle didn't work out for my hand (too short).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  6. rdrogers

rdrogers

Jul 19, 2010
    New stainless Bluegill with this week’s pepper crop. Habanero, cayenne, jalapeño, ghost, and some ghost pepper-habanero hybrid wizardry I messed with while they were blooming. I’ve been fermenting my mash for hot sauce this year, which so far has turned out well.

[​IMG]

fishiker, glennbad, JK Knives and 3 others like this.
  7. ty_higg

Dec 16, 2011
    I think I’m gonna have to get me a straight back because of your photos it’s just to good looking. Also that burlap or whatever micarta that is looks awesome!

JK Knives and Simplejack like this.
  8. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Burlap, and it looks nice. I tried it oiled and it really deepened the color but you lose grip and that's what I like about micarta, so I washed it back out. It still looks mighty fine without the oil in there. I'm really interested to see how this ages in over time, another thing I like about micarta.

ty_higg likes this.
  9. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    I was thinking today, what would a massive mud turtle feel like? Take the mud turtle design, add 2-3" of blade length on it. Survival knife extraordinaire? One of my favorite knives for all-purpose woods use is a swamp rat ratweiler and I've found that size to just be really nice for a little chopping, a little slicing, and really good for processing wood. Add in a design more home to crafting bushes and camping, like the mud turtle, and do you have a similarly versatile knife? The torture test (viktim thread) of John's O1 seems to point out that it can handle the abuse for sure. I think the mud turtle handle had enough contouring to handle it with the slight bump at the pinky and us the last rivet/tube as a lanyard hole you could probably get some appreciable chopping.

I'm newer to JK knives, so maybe there's been similar things out there already. I think the modern bowie would probably be close, but not quite my look if I'm honest.

What got me thinking about this is that I'm about done with a really nice set of knives in burlap micarta and I kind of got to thinking, "what's another size I could use?" And thus, something bigger. I think a massive mud turtle would act similar to a leuku, really, which is a time tested design. Maybe up the thickness a little to 5/32". I honestly think you could up the blade length all the way out to 9" with that handle and still be sitting pretty, but I like the 7-7.5" for the pack space savings.

So, I'm curious what else was out there before the current offerings that might have been similar to a massive mud turtle, or what you might think of something like that. I Don't think I would change any other dimensions except blade length and maybe the thickness.

10. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    5/32” does not come in the 1 1/4” size of the Mud Turtle, only 1” or 1 1/2”. That would make you have to choose between 5/32” x 1 1/2” tall blade or 3/16” x 1 1/4” tall blade (3/16” is available in 1 1/4”) Either choice would work well in a 7” - 7 1/2” blade length.

fishiker and bikerector like this.
  11. B JACKSON

B JACKSON

Sep 19, 2012
    What were the Rule 9 XL dimensions?

12. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    I believe it was 7” blade, 1 1/4” tall, 3/16” thick.

woodysone likes this.
  13. greatscoot

greatscoot "I dont know Karate, but I know Karazy" Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2012
    I put a really nice edge on my new "Worker" and was able to really test it out today. It just melts into your hand and I will post pics.

woodysone, bikerector and Simplejack like this.
  14. Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    Its a good day when I get time to sit down and sharpen my jk family. I usually get up before the family and enjoye a cup of coffee and strop

Mtblair, woodysone and bikerector like this.
  15. Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    Did you get this one off of armslist with a keychain jk

16. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    I just touched up my SB Element hunter. I spent a little time making some tinder sticks, bringing some cedar stick down to about 1/4" dia., to make sure it will do what I need for camping and hiking in 2 weeks. Only left to do it start a fire with it.

Worked on the Kephart yesterday after using it for breakfast slicing peppers. I can tell you one thing for sure, O1 is a lot easier to touch up that the S30V on my hunter. But, the edge retention and stain resistance is worth it. It always surprises me how much condensation ends up on knives that are in my pocket or very near my body when I'm out getting sweaty, like taking a 1.5 hr hike with the kid laughing in the backpack.

Simplejack, woodysone and JK Knives like this.
  17. greatscoot

greatscoot "I dont know Karate, but I know Karazy" Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Worker getting a workout.
    [​IMG]

ty_higg, fishiker, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  18. Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    A nice member for christmas gave me a dress pocket knife in a buffalo slip. I wear it in my dress blues. But for the life of me I dont know where I put it. Last place to look is inside my mirror shined jump boots. Really hoping I didnt leave it in when I dropped off at the cleaners.

19. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    It will show up.

20. Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    I hope so. I got my church clothes on after getting a hot straight razor shave. I was like perfect for church attire. I thought it was on top of my standup humidor. Nope but then again I loose my hat and truck key every day.