There's just something about the 940....

Love this thread... I own more Spyderco and ZT knives, but the 940 series (943 for me) keeps me comin' back. It's been my "go to" folder for more gentlemanly times (nights on the town, etc. where slimness/pocketability is a priority)... but full respect to those who keep 'em as more "EDC" or "heavy users."

So I just completed a little project, making a "943-1." :cool: In other words, I bought a 940-1 to join my 943, and swapped the blades. The resulting CF handle/943 blade knife (or "943-1") is ... my favorite. (I just wish it was in s90v!) I'm selling the other product (the 943 handle / 940-1 blade knife) on a "large auction website" that rhymes with flea-bay but having second thoughts... it'd be a PERFECT user w/ that awesome steel. One surprise from this process: the CF handles on the 940-1 are just ever so slightly thicker than the 943's aluminum scales. Not enough to make me dislike it, at all... just a little surprise.

Anyway, the swap was a piece of cake - no need to disassemble handles, I just carefully removed the pivot screws and slid the blades/washers in and out. Here are some pics from mid-way through the process, and then the results. Enjoy.

Probably too late to catch it on EB but I sure would like to get my hands on a 940 blade in that black frame with the blue spacer...Benchmade could clean out my bank account if they offered the 940 for customization.

Having the 940 with the option of customization is a great idea.

It's a neat idea, I don't know how practical of an idea it is though. With a few customizations you can really push the price of a 940 up there.

For example, the mini barrage 585 is $140 with no customized options. You customize it a little and the price jumps to $180.

If the same holds true for a $215 940 + $40 for customizations.... you're looking at $255 + shipping & taxes for a 940. That's kind of pricey.

It's a neat idea, I don't know how practical of an idea it is though. With a few customizations you can really push the price of a 940 up there.

For example, the mini barrage 585 is $140 with no customized options. You customize it a little and the price jumps to $180.

If the same holds true for a $215 940 + $40 for customizations.... you're looking at $255 + shipping & taxes for a 940. That's kind of pricey.

Pricey, no doubt. As many people have spent the bucks on customized Griptilians I might could see the same on the 940. I personally wouldn't use it because the plain green 940 is good enough for me. I'm sure there's some 940 lover out there that would drop $250 on his favorite color of scales and S90V, just not me.

I totally agree the 940 for customization would be great and worth the cost if its the knife you carry and want to use and even at $250 customized its still cheaper than the gold standard of high end carry (sebenza) at $400-$500 dollars and I know my 940 can be worked hard and take it but Ive never seen a hard use (sebenza), not saying its not a solid high quality knife. One other thing to ask I have a 940-1 #32 of 750 and have noticed s90v is an odd acting steel when it comes sharpening, i have heard this from a few other members and I am not a casual sharpener, I have used a Wicked Edge for 4+ years and provide a sharpening service to my area and friends, so I have sharpened quite a few knives of many different steels. This point is so frustrating that my standard 940 with DOAT scales is far superior with just s30v, I know the s90v is a higher end steel at all points but use is the ultimate test, I am strongly considering selling it since I don't carry it much know. Let me clarify it is still very sharp and functional but the time involved is much higher than the s30v which is very minimal.

Well I've always wanted a 940 for years but never bought it. So today I was at our local sporting good store and they had 5 of them and I picked the nicest one and bought it. Been playing with it all night and I love how much cutting edge you get in such a small package. Gonna be a great EDC knife in my black slacks I wear everyday. That was the biggest reason I broke down and got it. My other EDC folders are all bigger and bulkier and I wanted to be more discrete at work. It's the standard 940 but it's just a great looking knife.

Congrats on the purchase. The 940 is a great option if you need something small and/or light.

It reminds me of my small Sebenza insigno I had. Not the same knife at all it just how small it carries. But has so much cutting length. Love it.

I love this thread... want the whole collection... any interest in a truck? a house? maybe the name of my firstborn?

So I just completed a little project, making a "943-1." :cool: In other words, I bought a 940-1 to join my 943, and swapped the blades. The resulting CF handle/943 blade knife (or "943-1") is ... my favorite. (I just wish it was in s90v!) I'm selling the other product (the 943 handle / 940-1 blade knife) on a "large auction website" that rhymes with flea-bay but having second thoughts... it'd be a PERFECT user w/ that awesome steel. One surprise from this process: the CF handles on the 940-1 are just ever so slightly thicker than the 943's aluminum scales. Not enough to make me dislike it, at all... just a little surprise.
Haha I remember that auction. I almost bid - probably should have. I actually sent you a message or two about the knife for more info...

20150405_075024_zpsjowgmeg1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i don't have one...yet. i do think benchmade quality must be part of the best because i almost never see anything anything pop up in the forums.
940 would be the one i get.

Of the three BMs I own, the 940 is most carried. I'll have it for the rest of my life from what I can tell, lol.

I saw a gold series 940 at my local dealer last Thursday. Now that I have handled a 940, I understand what all of you are talking about.

I just love the 940. The Osborne reverse tanto blade is my most favorite blade shape ever and the 940 just does everything right for me with respect to size, weight, and looks. Today I acquired one of the variations I've been seeking for a while so I wanted to share a few photos of my collection.

View attachment 470710 View attachment 470711 View attachment 470709

Left to right:

940Ti-91
940-121
940-801
940-10/00
940-1 Scales with Grand Leavitt Damascus Blade
940-1
940-1 with 943 Aluminum Scales
940BK

Vary nice Collection!

I have the one 2nd from the left. ;)
what is your favorite one?

My 940-121 was my first BM and first Folder I ever got.
Its still the easiest single hand opener I have.
I am a lefty and the Axis lock is smooth and falls in to place perfectly!
Just by pulling the lock studs i can flick up the blade or have the blade fall back in to place ;)

Last edited:
Back