This one is for knife makers only please!

Have you been diagnosed with a depression disorder?

• yup

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nope

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I guess I can go throught bouts of depression, but not because of knives. Hell, just last week when I realized how much debt I'm in, I sat with a gun to my head for most of the evening...
But now that things are slowing down at work, I've spent more time on knives (I make miniatures mostly) in the past week than I had during the last 3 months combined. When I'm not in the mood for knives, I sit at my piano and play some of J. S. Bach's greastest harpsichord concertos. When I'm lonely, my wife is the only thing that keeps me going.

Possum, I hope you'll forgive me if I stick my nose in, but sitting around with a gun to your head, is a sign you need to talk to someone. Money is not worth your life. Talk to a debt counselor, and have the interest stopped on your credit card bills and such. Hell, bankrupcy is better than presenting your wife with brain wallpaper.
Call a suicide hotline when you feel that way, and please see a therapist. It really can make a difference.

Let me try this again.

Possum,
I echo Mike's comments.

You can call me anytime and we can talk knives and stuff until it passes. I would think that you could do that with any of the guys on this forum.

That goes for any of you..

Possum:eek: the same thoughts here.
nothing in this world is worth that and it's not fair to
your family and wife, ask god for help first but always remember
he won't take you if you off yourself, he helps those who help themselves,
this is written in his book.
it is one of the unforgivable sins.I know this don't help much
when your feeling down but don't ever give up the ship.. talk to someone..
anytime you want to talk, I think we all here would tell you the same.
.....:( just my 2 cents but you really should consider having a friend hold your ammo
and or guns for a while until your through this.
if making helps make more knives. Dan

Thanks for the comfort, fellas. It would be nice if I had someone here I could talk to, but I guess the net will have to do.

I love my guns and knives too much. If someone took them away, it would only make me sadder. Last night instead of the gun it was a Bowie knife that I pondered using. And I don't really feel this way as a direct result of the debt, it's just one more thing on the heap. I've always known I'm worthless.

The thought of spending eternity in hell is about all that keeps me from doing it. That, and knowing what it would do to my wife and family.

Possum, I know where you are my friend!
I sometimes sit for hours with a gun in my hand wondering why I don't just end it. I really don't know why I haven't. I find so little pleasure in things I used to love and like you I have debt looming over my head that is suffocating me. While at times I feel there is no end to it, I know there is. I know I will overcome it.
The Lord keeps me and you here for a reason.
My nut doc has me on meds that are helping some. You should ask your's about Topiramate. If you're not seeing one, do, please.
I'll see my endocrynologist next month and I'm going to ask him to order an MRI. I'm hoping they can find something they can fix in the hypothalamus area.
Anyway, stay close to God and his word, it's the only reason I'm still here.

possum
you sound like my wife
her and you are not worthless
she was told that for years in her bad childhood and so called up bringing.
I married her for a reason her worth
we had kids and a pair of good ones too,
and with out her part they would not be here.

if you have way big money problems I can tell you what I did in my case 3 years ago after a car accident and big bills BIG..
in the tune of 90,000.00+ I was at wits end.
some ways out seem like a very big step but it's only as big as you make it out to be if you let it bother to much..it's only money.
I told my wife for years if we have to start over then that is what we will do and do it together again. we have each other we have the world. and that's what matters. take up some jogging or something
to relieve stress go out into the woods and scream at a tree it helps. you need a release of frustration real bad not blood...just my 2 cent that works for me when I need it. though I can't do the jogging I can do the tree...the shop helps calm me but
not the release of built up crap from life if you hold it in it will destroy you.
look up www.netwellness.com and see if something they can help you. I just started looking it over
you can ask questions and they will get back to you on their web site at no cost..I'm not sure about this type problem but most the stuff they will answer the best they can won't hurt to try.. these are Dr's of one type or other.too. they won't help the money problems though.
hope it helps..

I like to see men who have the same love off the same thing
KNIVES.The bottom line is we all have problems that is somthing we have to deal with.I have had crohn's disease for 10 years now
it is not a fun thing to deal with,I take 13 different meds and i just turned 32 the 17th of this month.I was told that I would have this the rest of my life.I have had highs and lows,I can not work at a regular job(if there is One)that is the reason I started playing with the idea of makeing knives.I have a good wife she is the one who pushed it,I hot about it and then luke warm.I sold my first grinder and sat back and rethought it.Now it is time to play hard ball
with it.I have gotten serious about it the last 2 months,that is why I have not show any of my work becaue there was none to show but that is about to change(soon as I learn to take pictures).I have emailed and talked to some of the best people on the forums,to name a few
Dan Gray was the first maker I spoke to,his work encouraged me
and I went from there,Mike Hull and Neil Blackwood have really helped me in the last month or so,but the whole forum has helped with everything.I have a very bad anger problem and I can get out off control with it.I have talked to anger managment people.I have it under raps now.God has taken it form me and replace it with peace.
Well that was my input.The bottom line know one is useless and everyone is on this earth for a reason.We have come to this forum because we were searching for our own kind and this forum is a good place to met wonderful people who will impact your life in one way or another.:)
for we are clay in the potters hands

Nathan/All,
If you sit back and really think about it, anger is a choice. It is something we choose to do. Quite often we want to be angry.

Some folks will have the excuse, "Well, thats just the way I am". Actually, its not the way we are, its how we choose to behave or act.

Think about it...I mean really think about it.

Mr Wilkins
You are correct anger is a choice,that is why I chose
to turn life around.I chose this because it was not changing
my life for the better and it showed I was not using wisdom in my life.Life is to short,I did not want to go around in this world with blinders on to stop from seeing what life was about.Matureing is knowing when there is a problem and stepping up to change
it.
;)

The only negative effect of knifemaking I can see is that I dont want to leave the shop.
Its a great feeling being free to do what you want!

Something to think about, many people that suffer from depression, have a real bad time during holidays, birthdays etc. Alcohol exacerbates the problem. Nothing worse than drinking booze, if you have a depression problem.
As far as anger goes, it was explained to me, years ago, that anger is the irrational behavior, that results from the irrational belief, that we should, ought, must, get our own way. And when we don't, anger results. :eek: :D ;)

Back