1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Thoughts and Opinions on The Tribal Lock?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by buffalo01, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I had previously ignored this knife myself, but last Saturday saw and handled one of these at a gun show. Very nice! Going on my list of knives to acquire, but going to look for one in bone. Nothing wrong with Delrin, but I tend to carry my stag, wood, and bone knives the most.

Gary W. Graley and Ace Rimmer like this.
  2. Titan

Titan

Jan 21, 1999
    I bought this one and can't wait for mine to arrive next month!

Will Power likes this.
  3. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    The Tribal Lock I usually carry is yellow Delrin, but I have to admit the bone is considerably prettier.

ADBCE5F7-6A91-42A6-8696-CF979ED5A6AC.jpeg

4. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Took delivery on this one a few days ago. Case got everything right on this knife. I couldn't be happier with it.
    [​IMG]

5. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Very nice. Been eyeing not only that pattern in the 2019 Burnt Amber Bone, but the canoe and the medium toothpick.

6. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    I've been eyeing the others too. They all look very nice.

Prester John likes this.
  7. jec88

jec88

Mar 6, 2012
    I got one in November and I liked it then, and the more I carry it, the more I like it and I hate to say that because I prefer Bucks. Easily pocket carried, more so than other knives this size such as a 112 Ranger or a Trapper. Mine has a different type of half stop, not sure if all do from what I have read from other posts?? But with the half stop, if I have to cut something in public, I can just barely open it to cut what I need. I think this would be a great knife for someone going from moderns to traditionals. Feels capable, yet it is also a great slicer. Here is a cut and paste from Tony Bose about the design and development of it:

"Our team liked the thought of a Tribal Lock. I told them I wanted a mid-lock because you just put your thumb on it to unlock and wipe it on your pants leg if the other hand is unavailable. It carries a (special) spring and lockbar mechanism: just like a rear lock, but up in the middle."

"(The Tribal Lock) can fit right in your pocket, and you can field dress a deer with it, too. The blade is an old design, and I put it in a Jack frame so it feels better in your hand. If you turn that Spear blade upside down it becomes a drop point. The Tribal Lock is thin, about four inches long closed, and small enough to carry in the front pocket. It's just a really handy knife."

Ace Rimmer and Prester John like this.
  8. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    I've been carrying this one just about every day, but seeing all the beautiful recent pictures makes me want to go shopping for one with bone covers.

[​IMG]

Bloefield, abbydaddy, HEMI 49 and 5 others like this.
  9. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    That is the one I have been eyeing lately. I have three but those grooved bolsters could make it four.

,,,Mike in Canada

Peregrin likes this.
  10. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    As I mentioned above I have three tribal locks. The Patriotic Kirinite is near perfect. I bought it at the knife show in Titusville two years back. The next two I ordered online. The mint green is great but the lock is a bit proud when shut and the red American workman is about the same with the slightly proud lock when closed. I like the as ground blade on the workman.

My two Copperlocks are perfect. Open or shut.

I am overall happy with the knives F&F but surprised at the differences. If they all came out of the same machine for the parts to be assembled shouldn’t they all have the same lock stance?

Does anyone else with multiples notice any differences?

,,,Mike in Canada

11. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I saw Peregrin's Tribal lock & decided I needed one for myself...….. It arrived yesterday...…. Very nice knife & workmanship...… I have absolutely no buyer's remorse on this one!!
    @Peregrin lock one.jpg lock two.jpg

12. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Interesting question. I just closely examined the two I own—one in yellow Delrin and another in blue jigged bone. While the blue knife is just about perfect, the lock bar of the yellow knife does indeed stand very slightly proud when closed. I’d never noticed it before.

I did notice the lock on the yellow knife did stick somewhat when it was new. Specifically, the lock was a bit difficult to disengage unless I put slight upward pressure on the blade. This problem disappeared after a small amount use.

Both knives are up to snuff by my standards, and I am of the opinion that they represent an excellent value.

Prester John likes this.
  13. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    If they would put the threaded pivot bolster on the blue bone with red shield barehead that Frailer shows, I'd be all over it!
    Oh . . . and make it a slipjoint instead of a lockback, too. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

blueZulu.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Modoc ED, JohnDF, Frailer and 2 others like this.
  14. StuntDouble

StuntDouble

Apr 26, 2004
    I've got some money burning a hole in my PayPal account, and I think you may have pushed me over the edge with that pic.

Peregrin likes this.