Thoughts on the Glock 81/78

I just finished the destruction test video from knife-test-noss and im wondering if any of you guys liked it or disliked it, if so Why? also what are some pros and cons of the knife as a woods blade, is a decent survival blade?

Thanks, TheDandyLion

There are far, far better knives than THAT, for a woods knife or survival. I personally think it is junk.

Hi!

I used it in the Austrian army - does what it is supposed to do in a disposable package. No complaints here.

Best regards,
Alex

Damn cheap and damn tough, but they come very dull from the factory.

I'm not a great sharpener and all 3 that I own were a bear to get sharp using my sharpmaker using the regular rods (I would love some advice from someone telling me the best way).

Once I did get them sharp though they are probably the best fixed blade available for the money, IMHO.

I just finished the destruction test video from knife-test-noss and im wondering if any of you guys liked it or disliked it, if so Why? also what are some pros and cons of the knife as a woods blade, is a decent survival blade?

Thanks, TheDandyLion

Well... if someone gave one to me, I'd sure use it...

... to open the packaging of a bushcraft knife that I'd have to order, lol.

I afraid I'm gonna have to go with TKC on this one. Get yourself something better.

Thoughts on the Glock 81/78

Never used one but the model 17 rocks.:D

While the edge is embarrassingly dull out of box and fit&finish is nothing to write home about, it is a surprisingly competent woods knife in a compact package.

Well i'm looking for something along its lines to pair with a tomahawk in my B.O.B but iwant to keep it under $50 because I don't want to spend a lo of money for a tool I hopefully never have to use.

For an afforable BOB knife, especially if you're going to have 'hawk or axe in there, I'd got with a Mora (one of the new thicker models, perhaps) or a Cold Steel Bushman (I like the clip point model). Ontario and Condor also have some heavy duty offerings well within your budget.

My buddy had a Glock (the one without spine saw) and we beat the hell out of that thing. Throwing it, digging with it, throwing some more, missing g the target and hitting rocks, driving nails with the handle (in sheath, using the whole handle like a club), and more throwing and hitting rocks... The handle finally broke because of a defect in the form of a huge bubble, and the knife was used hard before we got it.

Those damn knives are nearly indestructible. Won't keep and edge for crap, but it is as tough as a grizzled veteran.

Sharp as a ham sandwich and attractive as Sarah Jessica Parker.

They are tough, but for under $50, get an Ontario.

Love my 81 that I bought in Austria and will never sell it! Came just sharp enough to shave arm hair off too.

1. Dirt cheap.

2. Damn tough.

In 1984, I bought my M81 in a now gone knife shop on "VD" Drive just off Fort Benning, GA. Cost me 24 bucks. Through a couple of decades in the Army, I never wore it on any individual load bearing equipment, but it traveled in my ruck nearly everywhere I went, and ruck space is a premium. Put it through hell too, especially across Indochina and the south Pacific in the early 1990s on a Search and Recovery Team where we lived and worked in the bush. Knife shows it too. At 24 bucks what's to worry? It has sat quietly in a tool box for several years now. Pulled it out last week to take a pic. Need to sharpen and oil it before it lays fallow again. If I were to do it all over again, I'd still buy the M81, shove it in my ruck, and use it. No regrets here from one who really used it in the field.

Glock%2520Fixed%2520Blade.jpg

Last edited:
To understand the Glock field knife,
one must learn of it's history.
And it begins in 1975
when an Austrian firm, Ludwig Zeitler had proposed to the Austrian Army, the Zeitler 77.
2012020902.jpg

kp1040838rnkpb1t3du.jpg

It was well received.
Unfortunately, it went broke, and could not compete for the Austrian military's
bayonet tender for it's newly introduced bullpup Steyr AUG
http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/uploads/media/STM_Produktblatt_AUG_A1_A2_press_01.pdf
So, in it's place for the running was
AES (A. Eickhorn Solingen) which later produced the AES FM80 field messer/knife
!
As was the Puma Commando 9500
http://www.pumahunter.de/page2.php?view=preview&category=31&image=1153
http://bacotacticoscuchillos.blogspot.my/2008/06/puma-tctico.html

Later, Marto of Spain had a (non-hollowed out pommel) field knife version.

30104633_9294220.jpg

M78 unlicensed copy, the "Austr. bayonet"...
(probably asian made; marketed in EU under the Max Fuchs in-house label MFH Int.Comp.)
20323.jpg

20323b.jpg

20323c.jpg

notable difference is the lack of the tab/cover on the pommel for bayonet adapter
which means there's no cavity on this one.
https://tacticalatzengear.de/?p=841
34699472_925092464329793_5621367425955004416_n.jpg

Anyhow, Glock being Austrian, won the contract and makes the rest history.

Denmark's issued Glock knives are known as Feltkniv M/96

The thing is the Austrians required a bayonet.
GLFYT.jpg

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/Austria/Austria_2.html

And that's what the Glock 78 is.
2012020906.jpg

GlockFM78-1.jpg

GlockFM78-2.jpg

Austrian_Bundesheer_Steyr_AUG.JPEG

I don't think the Glock 81 with the saw back was ever adopted by the Austrians.
x-ray images of
Mikov AZ07, Glock 78, Sisspukko M95, Wz. 92
RTG_gora.jpg

Sisspukko M95, Wz. 55, Mikov AZ 07, Glock 78, Wz. 92, Wz. 55
5855461.jpg

The Glock field knives have great strength for prying.
A wonderful sheathing system.
As a knife, it cuts; but my swiss folder cuts better.
So it's more of a combative weapon in my opinion.

Last edited:
While not at all my best knife nor the first I'd grab, I have gotten good use out of mine. It now lives in my trunk.

For an afforable BOB knife, especially if you're going to have 'hawk or axe in there, I'd got with a Mora (one of the new thicker models, perhaps) or a Cold Steel Bushman (I like the clip point model). Ontario and Condor also have some heavy duty offerings well within your budget.

I have both a mora and a cold steel bushman and love both but want something shorter and more stalky

Back