Thoughts on the Glock 81/78

The Glock field knives are definitely not stalky. They are thin blades with thick stock. I'm pretty sure the fuller on my Busse is larger than the blade on a Glock.

Realistically, they are just so dang cheap, you should get one and find out for yourself. If I still had mine, I'd say just come over and handle it, but I gave it to a friend as a practice throwing knife.

I've had one for years and it served me well as a camping and backpacking knife. I've since upgraded and it now has become a beater that get used once in a while. Years ago when I bought it at a local gunshow I thought it was the bees knees. :cool:

The Glock field knives are definitely not stalky. They are thin blades with thick stock.

well I'm looking more fore the heavy the heaver duty of more stocky design than the size of the blade its self, But what other blade could fill the same role?

Had one, it was alright but it wouldn't even be on my list for a "survival" knife. If you want short and stalky look at a Condor Rodan. Much better wilderness blade than the glock knife.

Probably the only knife at that price point that could repeatedly punch a hole in a steel drum. Or could be inserted under a steel strap and levered up to break it. Beyond that...no. Of course the thing is issued to Austrian and German soldiers (presumably) who are also issued a Victorinox Soldier knife which is good. In the woods? No way. Kind of a shame because the handle and sheath are well designed. The blade (and the steel it's made of) not even close. It's really just a single edged dagger/sharp (using this word loosely) prybar.

Last edited:
Kind of a shame because the handle and sheath are well designed. The blade (and the steel it's made of) not even close. It's really just a single edged dagger/sharp (using this word loosely) prybar.

The sheath is wonderful, I had no issues with comfort or snagging when I carried mine at work. It's extremely light weight helps too. My Glock 78 served me very well as a general purpose tool, but I still carried my Spyderco Military as a cutting tool. The 78 makes a decent digging implement, very handy for probing and digging up shallow objects, as well as weeding. I would not use it as a woods knife, but it did a decent job against light vegetation. When doing landscaping at work, my 78 had no problem hacking through 1 1/2 - 2 inch buckthorns.

In short, it makes a good beater. As a woods tool it is completely outclassed.

Is the tang durable enough to do a lot of batoning with?

Read my story earlier in the thread. If it weren't for the bubbles on the tang (which were over 1cm wide) that thing would never have broken even after the obscene abuse that knife went through. I actually drove a few nails with the bloody handle! The only stronger knives I have seen are the true full tang knives. If it was made in a better blade steel, it would be absolutely superb.

1. Dirt cheap.

2. Damn tough.

In 1984, I bought my M81 in a now gone knife shop on "VD" Drive just off Fort Benning, GA. Cost me 24 bucks. Through a couple of decades in the Army, I never wore it on any individual load bearing equipment, but it traveled in my ruck nearly everywhere I went, and ruck space is a premium. Put it through hell too, especially across Indochina and the south Pacific in the early 1990s on a Search and Recovery Team where we lived and worked in the bush. Knife shows it too. At 24 bucks what's to worry? It has sat quietly in a tool box for several years now. Pulled it out last week to take a pic. Need to sharpen and oil it before it lays fallow again. If I were to do it all over again, I'd still buy the M81, shove it in my ruck, and use it. No regrets here from one who really used it in the field.

Glock%2520Fixed%2520Blade.jpg

Thanks this is exactly the kind of review I have been looking for too.

@ GIRLYmann

May I use your x-ray images to use it in other collector forum´s ?
Thx. in advance,
R.

@ GIRLYmann

May I use your x-ray images to use it in other collector forum´s ?
Thx. in advance,
R.

He posted those pics over two years ago. Rather than bump an old thread, you might have better luck with email or visitor message.

> DEAD THREAD ALERT<

I know this is rescued from the bottom, but since people use these old threads for reference...

If you have one of these US Army WWII vintage folding shovel sheaths,
s-l200.jpg

You may not know that the extra strap and holes are for mounting a knife, like this...

IMG_0242.jpg

The glock knife's sheath works well in place of the old Mark X knives or bayonet it was designed for. I keep one with my Glock knife behind the seat in my truck.

Back