Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

Third time I've used this picture this week, but it fits in this thread so...

50135466851_a520d01b01_b.jpg
Is it supposed to do that?

I mentioned last week that I used to have a black plastic handled Imperial similar to the one screened porch screened porch had posted, but in a slightly different pattern. They were inexpensive and readily available in the sporting goods section at Walmart when I was a kid/teenager, packaged in that impossible-to-open plastic clamshell packaging. I don’t have that knife anymore (even though I remember buying more than one), but digging around through a drawer of random cheap knives the other day, I realized that I did still have this.

wJ07QHc.jpg

This little knife is basically a miniature keychain version of the exact knife I used to have. I’m sure that it was sold with the larger knife as a included “bonus.” I think the larger knife had a lanyard hole in place of the bail.

To give you an idea of the size, here it is next to a standard Case pen knife. I want to say the larger version was probably around 4” closed.

ct8QLCN.jpg

I bought a whole bunch of Okapis while they were easily available - most as re-handling and modification projects - but I did keep one each of their current offerings un-modified, just to have the full set:
IbOspHp.jpg

The Biltong seems to have been discontinued. At least it comes up as unavailable everywhere I look for it. I didn’t notice if that is true for all Okapi knives. I have a Biltong in my pocket every day. I am glad I bought a spare.

The Biltong seems to have been discontinued. At least it comes up as unavailable everywhere I look for it. I didn’t notice if that is true for all Okapi knives. I have a Biltong in my pocket every day. I am glad I bought a spare.
I don’t believe they are discontinued. Probably just unavailable outside brick-and-mortar retailers in South Africa. It is my understanding that the company is barely hanging on in the face of competition from cheap Chinese knives, including blatant counterfeits.

Back