1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Ti/Carbon Fiber S90v Military sale

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by DJC72, Feb 21, 2018.

1. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    It’s a great steel for envelopes. Glad I made your ignore list because I never criticized the knife. I only said the steel is chippy and got dog piled on. I actually like the knife a lot...it just doesn’t suit my needs due to the steel.

2. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    I don’t think I criticized Spyderco on this one. I said the steel chips. *shrug*

JNewell likes this.
  3. P2P

P2P Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2010
    [​IMG]
    So far so good, lots of zip ties and small wire. May be my new favorite steel at this pace.

4. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    You weren’t the only one to say this, so not all of the sarcasm and blowback was directed at you. Btw, did you resharpen it successfully or did you give up on the knife?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  5. JackTheKnifeGuy

JackTheKnifeGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2017
    I had mine for about a week before I swapped the blade to 204p, with the factory edge s90v I was cutting a somewhat decent amount of cardboard and some duck tape. I had a metal flashlight on the counter and when I went to pick up the knife, I dropped it blade first on the flashlight and it rolled off. Checked the edge immediately, feeling like an idiot, but to my surprise there was only slight rolling that was easily stropped out. I realized I needed a slightly tougher steel to make up for my clumsiness, SO I GOT TWO! One to swap with 204p for edc and one s90v for big cardboard/plastic jobs where edge retention is wanted. The picture with the chips to me seems pretty extreme so maybe bad HT? Is that a factory edge? What’s the story behind it? Or was mine just really soft s90v. Yes s90v Is more fragile than 204p but those chips are ..WOW.. I’d contact spyderco if you were just doing normal cutting and not twisting and prying. That is if it’s a decent edge angle and all that Jazz.​

Yonose likes this.
  6. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    I always thought s90v was “premium” steel, being that it was used on several high end Taichung knives that I wouldn’t pay the $400 and up to acquire. I never tried it before this exclusive went on sale. I did get 3 golden models in s110v when they came out and was very happy with the performance. I haven’t dropped mine or chipped it yet, though my well used Ti Millie in s30v usually has a few very small chips on the edge by the time I resharpen. So small that they disappear without having to take off very much metal at all. I imagine s90v will probably perform somewhere between s30v and s110v. I’m actually more concerned about getting scratches on the Titanium scale than I am about chipping the blade. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on anything I use any other folding knife for. My 5150 tomahawk, swamprat in s-7 and rtak2 in 5160 are mostly what I use outdoors on wood. Even these can take very small chips if used hard on “dirty” logs.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    P2P and JackTheKnifeGuy like this.
  7. AwayFromMySpydieHole

AwayFromMySpydieHole

Jan 30, 2017

To be clear, I'm not dog piling you. I'll be the first to admit I've had some weird issues with knives before so I believe anything can happen.

With that said, I have serious doubts that the knife you posted is the new S90V millie. It is most certainly not a factory edge like you said.

8. JackTheKnifeGuy

Nov 12, 2017
    I couldn't agree more with this statement. I even go so far as to NOT wear rings when Im carrying it. Blade can get scratched and chipped as much as it pleases but dear God don't let that titanium scuff:eek:...

Misthailin and Yonose like this.
  9. AwayFromMySpydieHole

AwayFromMySpydieHole

Jan 30, 2017

Haha really? It's really fascinating how many different viewpoints there are in the world. I'm the opposite.

To me, the blade is the heart and soul of the knife. I couldn't care less about scratches on titanium because the don't shorten the life of the knife. But if the blade chips and I have to sharpen it so much to remove the chips that it substantially shortens the life of the knife - I can't get over it. I actually quite enjoy the wear and tear titanium develops over time.

Different strokes for sure!

P2P, Misthailin and JackTheKnifeGuy like this.
  10. JackTheKnifeGuy

Nov 12, 2017
    See im this way with micarta. Cant wait to have that beaten up look on it. I think its just something about the finish in this TI thats so nice I can't bear to see it with imperfections. When it does inevitably scratch Ill probably get over it and it'll have more sentimental meaning, like and old pal thats gotten you through a lot. Or a good dog you've had for years:thumbsup:

Yonose likes this.
  11. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    image.jpg Not this

JonesE, 91bravo and JackTheKnifeGuy like this.
  12. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    image.jpg Tried carrying this in my pocket for a week; the sus410 cladding needs its own pocket.

13. JackTheKnifeGuy

Nov 12, 2017
    Whats cool about it is the more scratches you get the more it looks stonewashed.

Im weird. Either give me enough scuffs to look stone washed or non at all. Beat to shit or pristine. Don't give me that "One long single scratch across the bottom corner because you accidentally had a quarter in your pocket

Then again there is something liberating about the first scratch. Like a "FINALLY I CAN USE IT HOW I WANT TO" but at the same time "Damn its not a brand new knife anymore."

Knife nuts are complicated beings.

14. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017

Actually it’s not a good photo. There are dozens of horizontal scratches that the light wouldn’t show. I carry so many at once I need to wear a vest to carry them all. A backup for each steel category and so on I usually have between 4 and 8 knives on me at all times.

JackTheKnifeGuy likes this.
  15. anoir

anoir

Jan 12, 2018
    same here. then i used sand paper to remove the coating of of Titanium scale..... but it is quite slippy now. I don't know if a car wax can be applied to it to increase some resistance.

16. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    There's no coating on the titanium, it's just a matte finish that's easily marred up by other objects. When you sanded it, you basically scratched raw titanium. Car wax?

MarriedTheMedic and hopsbreath like this.
  17. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    I understood by coating anoir was referring to the “patina,” or the thin layer of oxidation that forms on raw titanium which protects against further corrosion. ZT has a black coating on the 0804cf, which protects against scratches and seems to add a little “grippiness” to the Ti side. I don’t know if it can be sandblasted, or if it would even help any if so.

18. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    I have yet to see something I couldn't remove with the media blaster at work. (largeish machine shop)

Mine will be here today. It will be a user just like every other knife I own. I plan to torture the factory edge just like I do on all new knives. If factory chips I know it won't take my usual 13 degrees per side reprofile. So I go more obtuse. 18 DPS or so.

19. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    This thin layer of oxidation on the Ti amounts to nothing really. A penny will still leave a snail trail on it, not to mention sanding it with sandpaper. :confused: As for ZT's black coated Ti, it surely can be sandblasted away.

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  20. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    It came, And it's perfect so far. No chipping on paracord. lol

[​IMG]

That clip won't be there for long.

Yonose likes this.