1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Ti/Carbon Fiber S90v Military sale

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by DJC72, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    I’m quoting Wikipedia when I say the 25 nanometers thick layer of oxidation prevents further oxidation for something like 50 years at least. But I was referring to anoir’s slippery Ti handle slab when I asked if sandblasting would help get a better grip?

2. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    Here we go again! Lol

3. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    EAC26EE8-8BF3-4555-94B5-05253249B0F0.jpeg

P2P and mcicchelli like this.
  4. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Sandblasting will definitely give it a better grip. But it will mark up easy. The 25 nanometer thick "oxidation" on the titanium still amounts to nothing. I have CRKs and other titanium knives that you can't see that 25 nanometer layer of oxidation on them.

MarriedTheMedic and Yonose like this.
  5. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    image.jpg

6. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    I know that 25 nanometers is very thin. That’s billionths of a meter. So my question is, those snail trails are not “oxidation” but rather some other kind of staining?

7. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    No snail trails are something like keys or coins that scratch through the bead blasted finish, or oxidation as you would call it, exposing the raw titanium beneath.

MarriedTheMedic and Yonose like this.
  8. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Or a chalkboard type of mark. I could see how this rough of a blasted finish could do that.

9. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    I’ve argued in the past that scratches show up as thin, straight lines on the titanium; and what are called “snail trails” are something else. They take the patterns of some kind of chemical exposure possibly found in the acidic sweat of a users hands. I’m no scientist, but I don’t believe they are scratches.

10. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Snail trails are where the matte finish is smoothed over by something hard, not necessarily scratched, although it may appear that way.

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  11. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    After multiple years of carry, my birthdate 25 is almost stonewashed in finish from so many snail trails.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    It's possible that the edge chipping is the result of differential hardness caused by excess heat during sharpening at the factory. Years ago Benchmade had a long run of similar issues with S30V blades that was almost certainly caused by this. The edge chipping stopped after some of the edge had been removed by resharpening by hand. Possibly this is the same issue. Previous Spyderco S90V sprints did not produce reports of edge chipping like those here, IIRC.

It's just wear, surface abrasions and scratching. Unless the user is an alien who has some sort of extraordinarily corrosive sweat.

P2P likes this.
  13. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Possibly. But with this particular model, so far we've only heard/seen one knife with chipped edge. In this case, we don't know for how long the knife had been used, how it was sharpen at what degree, and exactly how the chipping happened, nor is the owner willing to share further information.

14. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    I've been using the s90v on the Millie to cut normal stuff up at work and there is not even a hint of chipping on my edge. Maybe it's just an isolated case. I don't cut anything hard, but do use it break down lots of double and triple wall cardboard.

MarriedTheMedic and sharp_edge like this.
  15. AwayFromMySpydieHole

AwayFromMySpydieHole

Jan 30, 2017

If the isolated case you're referring to is the post by ScooterG, I wouldn't count that.

Because:

- He won't post a full picture of the knife. (I have serious doubts it's even a military)
    - He says it's "the factory edge" when it is CLEARLY not.
    - When called out on it, he ghosted.

His post was trolling or just a flat out lie.

JackTheKnifeGuy and sharp_edge like this.
  16. AwayFromMySpydieHole

AwayFromMySpydieHole

Jan 30, 2017

Since when do scratches have to be a straight line? o_O

Snail trails are most definitely a physical alteration of the finish. I can replicate them pretty easily just by shaking a knife around with some keys. A chemical reaction is it most definitely not.

Just test it for yourself and see. It's pretty easy to see they are either scratches, or areas where the rough finish has been burnished by a harder substance.

Yonose likes this.
  17. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    I couldn't make out a Military knife in the pic either.

18. P2P

P2P Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2010
    I honestly had chipping on the factory edge. 5 chips in total. Sharpened out easy enough, and haven’t had a problem since. Been cutting anything I can get my hands on, and the S90V is doing great.

19. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Technically, stonewashing is scratching, correct?

20. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Correct. As is polishing and every other type of abrasion.