To the Makers of Things, Show us what you do!

Oh man this is ridiculously awesome! If you ever need a buyer for something like that let me know. As a kid I remember seeing critters, trucks and tractors made out of nuts and bolts in old timers shops. This takes that to a whole new level.
Thanks John. I appreciate that.

Finally got this family Christmas project all finished up. Now my little caddis fly has a proper perch.

This was much more complex and time consuming than I anticipated. Really far too much involved for a family homemade gift exchange. I sped it up by eyeballing most of the layouts and not trying to get everything exactly symmetrical and perfect. And I hardly sanded anything much past 80 grit except the main reel faces.

I decided that I would excercise artistic license/freedom to make a rendition of a fly reel rather than make a perfectly precise and technical fly reel. As it was, it took 3 and a half days to complete.

It is made of Claro walnut, African blackwood for the knob and foot and some left over bits of damascus.

Finally got this family Christmas project all finished up. Now my little caddis fly has a proper perch.

This was much more complex and time consuming than I anticipated. Really far too much involved for a family homemade gift exchange. I sped it up by eyeballing most of the layouts and not trying to get everything exactly symmetrical and perfect. And I hardly sanded anything much past 80 grit except the main reel faces.

I decided that I would excercise artistic license/freedom to make a rendition of a fly reel rather than make a perfectly precise and technical fly reel. As it was, it took 3 and a half days to complete.

It is made of Claro walnut, African blackwood for the knob and foot and some left over bits of damascus.
Wow that's great!

Ghosts of Christmas Past:

OeOaXIA.jpg

R8YCA2d.jpg

NHpoehI.jpg

qYuLccQ.jpg

BWkq1mO.jpg

lMWcmz5.jpg

BunNlCG.jpg

Nx0OJCy.jpg

jDNoUuJ.jpg

DdO12PD.jpg

Ya know what the ghost of Christmas Present says? "You use to work too hard!"

Nowadays I do 15 at a time. Heck I'm semi retired.

Digging your improvised blade holder there ;)

The first (of three) in the PRO-TECH Knives titanium TR3 "Dragon Skin" series is ready to head back to PRO-TECH to get built out! These will be available from PRO-TECH at some point, probably on the table at one of the Blade Shows.😁
20230104_225603.jpg

20230104_225728.jpg

20230104_225751.jpg

The first (of three) in the PRO-TECH Knives titanium TR3 "Dragon Skin" series is ready to head back to PRO-TECH to get built out! These will be available from PRO-TECH at some point, probably on the table at one of the Blade Shows.😁
20230104_225603.jpg

20230104_225728.jpg

20230104_225751.jpg
Those dragon scales are sweet!

Commissioned work direct from major manufacturers like pro tech is quite the feather in one's cap. Congrats!

Looks cool, like what you would find on the armor of Aragorn. Instead of plate or leather armor, would dragon scales make effective armor? One of those “what if” questions. Makes you go hmmm.

Those dragon scales are sweet!

Commissioned work direct from major manufacturers like pro tech is quite the feather in one's cap. Congrats!
Thanks! I was chatting about D/A autos with the owner, Dave at CCKS and he saw some of my work on the table...he just happened to have a batch of Ti TR3 slabs coming off the mills and asked me if I wanted to carve some up! Definitely stoked to be so fortunate to have opportunities like this😊

Digging your improvised blade holder there ;)
Yep been using boxes like that for decades. Works real well. Each slot has a number and once that knife is assigned a number it lives there and is only taken out for for sheath fitting, final polishing etc. Each sheath has a corresponding number in black Sharpie inside that corresponds with a particular knife. Basicallyhow I keep track of which sheath goes to which knife as they are all individually to a specific knife. Funny thing to me is I’ve literally made and sold thousands and thousands of knives and sheaths. I’ve only ever had one customer ask me what the number on the inside of their sheath is for.

Last edited:
Wanted to brag on a friend's making:

Ya all know that stupid white glass pantry door right? Ya know the one says Pantry on it case ya can't figure it out. We have this large Hacienda style custom home and it had that stupid white glass pantry door. I think the guy that built the house saved a few $$ now and then with something that would "fall off the back of a truck." Probably the case with this door as it simply did not match the rest of the house at all. A friend was over one day. She lives up by Reno but stops in on her way to LA often. She says give me the door. So I take the door off and load it in the back of her SUV and she be gone. She comes back a few weeks later with the door and a bunch of paint and this is what she had done:

FTDjVks.jpg

She had painted the door from pictures she had taken out at our ranch. So these are all horses of ours from over the years only the top red roan is still with us.

NgfBKDD.jpg

RdExKmr.jpg

Now I've never really ever roped a bear, but it was an old Californio sport. But if I ever rode a horse that I'd ever take bear roping it would of sure have been Clancy that big paint horse. He was called The Rock long before there was a famous The Rock.

Why did she need the paint she'd brought with her? Cause the door frame and the base boards were white. She painted them oak to match the cabinets there in the kitchen and the kitchen island. So on the island the plates for the power plugs were white too. No longer:

ZSSxHW9.jpg

1XY4COp.jpg

And the piece de resistance? She painted the inside of the door too:

qCG5wHS.jpg

This is Freckles one of our best cows ever. She too is no longer with us. Most of our cows are just known by the number in their ear tag but Freckles had a name. She wanted $300 for the paint job but I threw in a Santuko too as she's that chef I mentioned in that other post. Heck I just looked at Lowe's website and that stupid glass door is $284 by itself. Money and knife well spent.

Last edited:
Wanted to brag on a friend's making:

Ya all know that stupid white glass pantry door right? Ya know the one says Pantry on it case ya can't figure it out. We have this large Hacienda style custom home and it had that stupid white glass pantry door. I think the guy that built the house saved a few $$ now and then with something that would "fall off the back of a truck." Probably the case with this door as it simply did not match the rest of the house at all. A friend was over one day. She lives up by Reno but stops in on her way to LA often. She says give me the door. So I take the door off and load it in the back of her SUV and she be gone. She comes back a few weeks later with the door and a bunch of paint and this is what she had done:

FTDjVks.jpg

She had painted the door from pictures she had taken out at our ranch. So these are all horses of ours from over the years only the top red roan is still with us.

NgfBKDD.jpg

RdExKmr.jpg

Now I've never really ever roped a bear, but it was an old Californio sport. But if I ever rode a horse that I'd ever take bear roping it would of sure have been Clancy that big paint horse. He was called The Rock long before there was a famous The Rock.

Why did she need the paint she'd brought with her? Cause the door frame and the base boards were white. She painted them oak to match the cabinets there in the kitchen and the kitchen island. So on the island the plates for the power plugs were white too. No longer:

ZSSxHW9.jpg

1XY4COp.jpg

And the piece de resistance? She painted the inside of the door too:

qCG5wHS.jpg

This is Freckles one of our best cows ever. She too is no longer with us. Most of our cows are just known by the number in their ear tag but Freckles had a name. She wanted $300 for the paint job but I threw in a Santuko too as she's that chef I mentioned in that other post. Heck I just looked at Lowe's website and that stupid glass door is $284 by itself. Money and knife well spent.
Really nice, what a great way to decorate a bland door to something special.

Back