Traditional knives and tools

Jack Black Jack Black
Thanks! I'm pretty good overall, after being told I was a type 2 diabetic a few months ago I've cut sugar and carbs. With that I cut sugar out and severely reduced my carbs, dropped over 30 pounds so far! But in the midst of that started having heart issues,I'm sure so many years of being over 300 pounds has finally caught up to me. But that seems to be getting better with the weight loss as well,although I haven't gotten word back about my stress tests yet. But I'm optimistic about it, we've had a very stressful couple of years but it's getting better every day, and we're so very grateful about that!

Jack Black Jack Black
Thanks! I'm pretty good overall, after being told I was a type 2 diabetic a few months ago I've cut sugar and carbs. With that I cut sugar out and severely reduced my carbs, dropped over 30 pounds so far! But in the midst of that started having heart issues,I'm sure so many years of being over 300 pounds has finally caught up to me. But that seems to be getting better with the weight loss as well,although I haven't gotten word back about my stress tests yet. But I'm optimistic about it, we've had a very stressful couple of years but it's getting better every day, and we're so very grateful about that!
Well done on losing all that weight David, but I'm very sorry to hear about the heart issues. I sure hope you're going to be OK, and that your health continues to improve my friend :) Great to hear things are on the up 👍👍

Jack Black Jack Black
Hang in there, David! It sounds like you've been getting some poor cards dealt to you lately, but it also sounds like you're getting the most you can out of 'em! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

About a week ago, a big limb fell out of the neighbor's oak tree and landed in our front yard (between the sidewalk and the street, so no property damage, thankfully). I spent some time early last week trying to clean up the mess. One day, I spent a couple of hours using the yellow handled pruning shears in the following photo to pick up all the leaves, cut them from their branches, then cut the branches into small lengths, and put everything into our yard waste bin due for pick-up last Tuesday morning.
edged.gard.tools.close.jpg

Another day, I used my 24" bow saw to cut the larger branches off the main limb, and then cut those into 2'-3' sections that I stacked at the curb, intending to put a sign out offering the wood for free to anyone interested in taking it.
woodpile.curb.jpeg

What remained was the main limb, probably close to 8' long, with a couple of large side branches. I feared I'd need to find someone with a chain saw to cut up the rest, because my bow saw (and my right arm) were starting to struggle trying to cut off the last couple of branches (and I could only do that by rolling the limb around so I could cut through from various directions.
main.post.bowsaw.jpeg

But as I came out to take a couple of photos and decide what else I might do, my neighbor (on the other side from the guy whose tree dropped the limb) came by and said he'd take all the wood, including the big uncut limb! So I got my little red wagon from the garage and we wrestled the big limb onto that and rolled it back behind his garage, and then loaded the wagon a few more times to move all the rest of the wood over there. I was grateful and happy!

Here's a close up of the previous pic so you can see the knife that's in the photo, even though it played no role in the wood processing.
RR.lg.stock.main.closed.log.jpeg

- GT

What remained was the main limb, probably close to 8' long, with a couple of large side branches. I feared I'd need to find someone with a chain saw to cut up the rest, because my bow saw (and my right arm) were starting to struggle trying to cut off the last couple of branches (and I could only do that by rolling the limb around so I could cut through from various directions.
I have that same Vermont American bow saw, it's a great little garden saw, but the cut depth is relatively shallow and not great for the bigger stuff.
Thankfully the original blade is still very sharp, because I don't think this particular blade it takes can really be found these days.

Hang in there, David! It sounds like you've been getting some poor cards dealt to you lately, but it also sounds like you're getting the most you can out of 'em! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

About a week ago, a big limb fell out of the neighbor's oak tree and landed in our front yard (between the sidewalk and the street, so no property damage, thankfully). I spent some time early last week trying to clean up the mess. One day, I spent a couple of hours using the yellow handled pruning shears in the following photo to pick up all the leaves, cut them from their branches, then cut the branches into small lengths, and put everything into our yard waste bin due for pick-up last Tuesday morning.
View attachment 2240157

Another day, I used my 24" bow saw to cut the larger branches off the main limb, and then cut those into 2'-3' sections that I stacked at the curb, intending to put a sign out offering the wood for free to anyone interested in taking it.
View attachment 2240170

View attachment 2240177

But as I came out to take a couple of photos and decide what else I might do, my neighbor (on the other side from the guy whose tree dropped the limb) came by and said he'd take all the wood, including the big uncut limb! So I got my little red wagon from the garage and we wrestled the big limb onto that and rolled it back behind his garage, and then loaded the wagon a few more times to move all the rest of the wood over there. I was grateful and happy!

Here's a close up of the previous pic so you can see the knife that's in the photo, even though it played no role in the wood processing.
View attachment 2240184

- GT
I'm glad you had no property damage Gary. Good work, and a nice pic 😎 Lot of folks burn wood where I live, if a limb or tree comes down, there are folks racing up the road with chain-saws and axes, and it's cleared up within the hour! 😁👍

I have that same Vermont American bow saw, it's a great little garden saw, but the cut depth is relatively shallow and not great for the bigger stuff.
Thankfully the original blade is still very sharp, because I don't think this particular blade it takes can really be found these days.
After reading that you have a saw like mine, I searched BF for "bow saw" and found your bow saw thread in the Axes & Hatchets subforum. Yours back then looks exactly like mine, but I couldn't find any identification on mine except a patent number and an unreadable label wrapped around the frame. So then I searched the Web for the patent number and stumbled into another thread in the Axes & Hatchets subforum and found more info about your saw including exactly the same patent number. Pretty cool! (By the way, after seeing other saws just like mine online, I measured my blade and it's the 21" everyone reports, instead of the 24" that I reported just by estimating.)

It is a good saw, but the way the frame comes down to the blade at the far end at such an acute angle (maybe 25 degrees compared to many bow saws that have an angle much closer to 90 degrees on both ends) doesn't give our saws much "working blade" to use on larger pieces of wood because the frame gets in the way for the farthest 8" or more of the blade. Mine seems to cut as well now as it ever has, but I was sorry to hear that replacement blades are probably not available. I've never tried sharpening any saw blade, but I'm not confident I'd be very successful with sharpening it.

I've cut up a lot of fallen oak branches with mine, as well as cut down many years' worth of "cut-your-own" Christmas trees.

- GT

I'm glad you had no property damage Gary. Good work, and a nice pic 😎 Lot of folks burn wood where I live, if a limb or tree comes down, there are folks racing up the road with chain-saws and axes, and it's cleared up within the hour! 😁👍
Thanks, Jack. :)
I suppose having eager "deadfall scavengers" is an efficient system, unless it leads to skirmishes over who gets to harvest what downed timber.

- GT

Thanks, Jack. :)
I suppose having eager "deadfall scavengers" is an efficient system, unless it leads to skirmishes over who gets to harvest what downed timber.

- GT
Only grumbling I think Gary 😁 😉👍

Grumbling is OK. I was worried that certain situations could lead to a chainsaw duel at dawn, which I imagine would not be a pretty sight! :eek: 🤓

- GT
The main scavengers are John, my elderly neighbour, Dan, his son, and Karl, a friend of Dan's, but they are quite competitive. I once saw Karl and his lad, cutting up what was left of a felled tree, on the lane behind my house, and he implored me not to tell the others! :D

Back