traditional knives in movies

I am so curious here (but not enough to read the whole thread, excuse me if it has been adressed before...) I have been wondering (hard, very hard) about this knife... A Hollywood knife probably, Hibben looking... yes, but really, what is it ? For your amusement... The movie is "The Ultimate Warrior" starring Yul Brynner. Crappy movie but Yul was great as always...

Yulsknife_zpse403cb0f.jpg

All usual with these movie knives there is not a lot to go on. The picture you post, probably a movie house flyer, nor the fighting sequences from the movie, show much detail. Hibben is very unlikely. This is definitely an OTF knife and I would look to your own country along with Italy and Germany as likely countries of origin. As for manufacturer there were many at that time. Just do an Internet search for OTF knife history and you will find plenty to look at.

Last edited:
!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!! (on the off chance that someone has not seen this 1941 movie)

Sydney Greenstreet as Kasper Gutman in "The Maltese Falcon" hacks away at the enamel on the fake falcon (or dingus as Bogart called it :D) with a pen knife (?)
The Maltese Falcon is my all time favorite movie, by the way.

Last edited:
titanic-pot.jpg

I just wanted to share this after I watched the movie for 1000th time.

Cheers everyone.. enjoy

Its from the opening gambling scene

cnsmovie_titanic_01.jpg

What always cracked me up about that scene, even you look at the pot, the ticket was the biggest thing there what else was on the table, didn't look like the money and the knife would amount to the price of a ticket, I guess knives were valued a lot more back then, would you give up a ticket to America, the land of opportunity or risk losing it in a poker game for a EO Back knife?

Cool image otherwise. :thumbup:

What always cracked me up about that scene, even you look at the pot, the ticket was the biggest thing there what else was on the table, didn't look like the money and the knife would amount to the price of a ticket, I guess knives were valued a lot more back then, would you give up a ticket to America, the land of opportunity or risk losing it in a poker game for a EO Back knife?

Cool image otherwise. :thumbup:

Never seen the film, but that's a fair point :)

Unfortunately, that was one of only two films that I have ever walked out of the cinema half way through watching. I thought it was woeful. But... It's nice to see the traditionals in still images, thanks for posting them :)

Buck 110 (or clone) in the Coen Brothers' Blood Simple.

Spoiler Alert!

[video=youtube;4yrr_dVgpwM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yrr_dVgpwM[/video]

Last edited:
Saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, looked like Tom Hardy pulled a traditional lockback out of his pocket in the telegram office in Istanbul when he returned.

This one is from a Canadian TV show called Heartland.. It is placed in Calgary at a horse ranch. Looks to me like the kid has some sort of stockman with him. I can't tell what brand it could be yet.. maybe a buck?

Playback_zps190b708d.jpg

Saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, looked like Tom Hardy pulled a traditional lockback out of his pocket in the telegram office in Istanbul when he returned.

I just bought the DVD this afternoon, I'll check it out later :thumbup:

Was watching season 2 of Boardwalk Empire at the weekend, quite a few traditional knives there.

I indulged in a Harry Potter marathon that was on tv this weekend, and they kept playing a commercial for a really terrible looking tv show called twisted. The commercial was awful, but I didn't mind it because one of the characters had a Buck 110 ;)

I haven't read every page of this thread yet, so pardon me if this was already mentioned:

Dead End (1937), starring Humphrey Bogart.

It's been a long time since I saw this, but there are a few scenes with traditional slip-joint pocketknives. Some are used to play mumbly-peg (sp?), some used as weapons.

Jim

I previously posted the stag SAK with a custom shield that showed up in Wes Anderson's "Moonrise Kingdom", toted by Ed Norton. In Anderson's new one, "The Grand Budapest Hotel", there is a brief shot of a sailor/clasp knife with the heavy sheepsfoot blade and marlinspike lying on the desk of Willem Dafoe's character. Neat little detail.

"RIVER OF NO RETURN"! My favorite Robert Mitchum/Marilyn Monroe movie (Having a heart murmur). Robert Mitchum carries a fixed blade on his belt through the whole movie. The knife is used through the whole movie. The Knife is used to good effect. The knife is portrayed as a good and essential tool. p.s.( is p.s. even used any more?) I was 9 years old and Marilyn caused my head to spin through the whole movie. regards Henry.

Just watched newly released dvd, "Sweetwater". Ed Harris plays a wacked-out western Sheriff. He uses a pocket knife numerous times during the movie (possibly a Laguiole).Wait till you see what he uses the pocket knife for. The bad guy uses big Bowie knife several times during the movie. Ed Harris borrows the bad guys Bowie, wait till you see what for. regards Henry

I think "Heaven Knows Mister Allison", has been mentioned previously, but Robert Mitchum really does a good job of using a Kabar. regards Henry.

I been mostly a lurker,not sure of proper etiquette. Is it ok if is stay on a roll? I know i been bombarding with movies,some of which were back in the 50's and 60's. Let me know if i am breaching etiquette/rules or being a boor. regards Henry

Western movie "Tall Men" with Clark Gable. Clark carries and uses a large Bowie. Movie quote:" There goes the only man i ever respected. He's what every boy wants to be when he grows up and every old man wishes he would have been". regards Henry

Wild Target, Bill Nighy/Emily blunt (be still my beating heart). Nighy uses a switch blade and a straight razor. regards Henry

Back