traditional knives in movies

In "Ride the High Country" (early Peckinpah) the protagonist finds himself in a bad spot, such that he has to untie his prisoner just to get another man on the firing line. Cuts him loose with a barlow (one so shiny it might've come from the hardware store across the street from the set that morning, but still, a barlow.)

The 1987 Norwegian movie "Pathfinder" has a baddy who wields a long puuko type knife looks to be over a foot long . What would that knife be called?Oh yeah and its set 1000 years ago on the frozen wastes of Lappland.

I haven't seen the movie, but it sounds like a leuku or sami knife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_knife
Leuku.jpg

"Typical Sami knives have a blade length ranging from 200 to 450 mm."
1 ft is 304.8 millimeters, according to google.

In the original version of edge of Darkness, Charles Dance uses a SAK to extricate himself from a dangerous situation.

The 1987 Norwegian movie "Pathfinder" has a baddy who wields a long puuko type knife looks to be over a foot long . What would that knife be called?Oh yeah and its set 1000 years ago on the frozen wastes of Lappland.

I'm hoping that was better than the dreadful remake with the guy that played Judge Dredd and Eomer, Karl Urban.

Looking at Wikipedia, it looks a lot better than the remake. Although the remake had a great premise.

I just finished watching the first episode of NBCs "Crossbones" and noticed that Dr. Thomas Lowe used an opinel, 4? maybe 5? to pick a lock. Sure the show takes place in 1712 and Opinel didn't start up till 1890, but It is still cool to see traditionals on the screen...

ScreenShot2014-05-31at21239AM_zpsa031cf4a.png

In the premier of the new NBC show Crossbones about Blackbeard, a character uses a pocket knife that looks almost exactly like a #5 without the locking ring.
Just around 33 minutes into episode #1.

A few minutes later he has a different knife that looks a lot like a Laguiole. Not sure why he has a different knife, I guess has two on him.

Been planning to wait til a few episodes of that show have aired and then check it out... like to have a few waiting in case I end up liking it. ;)

I tawt I taw a Opinel....

I did, I did taw a Opinel!

in this AFFI commercial...it's in the first frame then it's gone in a flash.

[video=vimeo;93277804]http://vimeo.com/93277804[/video]

Sufferin' succotash! so you did.

In "Windtalkers" during the opening scenes a Japanese soldier jumps out of the tall grass & bayonets the Marine walking behind Nicholas Cage, Cage responds by burying his
Ka-Bar in the enemys chest up to the hilt.
Later in the movie Cage uses his Ka-Bar again to slit a Japanese soldiers throat.
Also Whitehorse used his Stag handled knife to take out quite a few of the opposition when they are attacked . Don't recognize that knife maybe one of the other members
know if it is a custom or production.
George

Catching Jaws this afternoon, and saw a nice counter top Camillus Knife Case in the hardware store when Chief Brody went into the hardware store to buy paint and sign materials.

Going to have to pull that one off the shelf this weekend.

In "Windtalkers" during the opening scenes a Japanese soldier jumps out of the tall grass & bayonets the Marine walking behind Nicholas Cage, Cage responds by burying his
Ka-Bar in the enemys chest up to the hilt.
Later in the movie Cage uses his Ka-Bar again to slit a Japanese soldiers throat.
Also Whitehorse used his Stag handled knife to take out quite a few of the opposition when they are attacked . Don't recognize that knife maybe one of the other members
know if it is a custom or production.
George

Could be custom, or a theater knife, more than likely something Adam Beach's character made.

So it looks like they will be making a Dark Tower movie, and a tv show based on the books. I don't see anything working except for an HBO series, on the scale of Game of Thrones. I don't see anyone watching the series being satisfied with the way King ended his Dark Tower books, if that's the route they go down. I for one would be royally angry.

Anyway, I think King did go over what type of knives Roland carried with him. He put a lot of thought into those sandalwood handled revolvers. I'm thinking Roland carried a fixed blade and a folder? He was a highborn gunslinger in his younger years, when he got older, he was dirt poor, but still a gunslinger, and that carried a lot of weight. Sort of like a cross between a Texas Ranger and a Knights Templar. According to Wikipedia, Javier Bardem and Russell Crowe were considered for Mr. Deschain, but I don't see either of them as Roland. I originally thought Roland would look like Clint Eastwood, but King said he modeled him after himself. All of Kings books tie into the Dark Tower and the Gunslinger in some way.

So, what did our katet leader have on him in the way of sharp stuff? Lots of characters with blades, guns were rare in the land that moved on. Hopefully the Walking Dude is better portrayed than he was in the Stand.

I'm guessing that if you have literal hand cannons on you, that a small fixed blade and a large folder would be his choice of carry. I'm guessing some kind of skinner, although the gunslinger was quite adept at killing, he preferred his pistols. Probably a larger jack knife or barlow for a folder. Maybe a mallet for giant crabs. Dadachak, dadachum.

Thanks for bring back those memories from the series. I read the books a few years ago, and got thoroughly engrossed with them. I got Wind through the Keyhole, but have yet to read it. I will have to go back and see if they make better or any mention of his blades.

I'm guessing that if you have literal hand cannons on you, that a small fixed blade and a large folder would be his choice of carry. I'm guessing some kind of skinner, although the gunslinger was quite adept at killing, he preferred his pistols. Probably a larger jack knife or barlow for a folder. Maybe a mallet for giant crabs. Dadachak, dadachum.

I once went through all seven books and compiled King's descriptions of Roland's knife. The series is, in my opinion, the Schlockmeister's best work!

Eddie pulled the drag-knot at the top, spread the bag's opening, and found the knife beneath a slightly damp package that was the piece of shirting tied around the bullets. Just the handle was enough to take his breath away ... it was the true mellow gray-white of pure silver, engraved with a complex series of patterns that caught the eye, drew it-- Pain exploded in his ear, roared across his head, and momentarily puffed a red cloud across his vision. He fell clumsily over the open purse, struck the sand, and looked up at the pale man in the cut-down boots. This was no nodder. The blue eyes blazing from that dying face were the eyes of all truth.

"Admire it later, prisoner," the gunslinger said. "For now just use it."

He could feel his ear throbbing, swelling.

"Why do you keep calling me that?"

"Cut the tape," the gunslinger said grimly. "If they break into yon privy while you're still over here, I've got a feeling you're going to be here for a very long time. And with a corpse for company before long."

Eddie pulled the knife out of the scabbard. Not old; more than old, more than ancient. The blade, honed almost to the point of invisibility, seemed to be all age caught in metal.

"Yeah, it looks sharp," he said, and his voice wasn't steady.

"Knife," he said, and held out his hand like a surgeon in an operating room. Roland slapped it into his palm without a word. Eddie gripped the top of the blade between the thumb and first finger of his right hand. He bent over the key, unmindful of the hail which pelted his unprotected neck, and the shape in the wood stood out more clearly--stood out with its own lovely and undeniable reality.

He scraped.

Once.

Delicately."

"There was something inside the boss on the side of the stump. He thought he might be able to release quite a lot of it with Roland's knife-- it was the sharpest, handiest tool he had ever used."

"THAT NIGHT, AFTER SUPPER was eaten, Eddie took the gunslinger's knife from his belt and began to carve. The knife was amazingly sharp, and seemed never to lose its edge. Eddie worked slowly and carefully in the firelight, turning the chunk of ash this way and that in his hands, watching the curls of fine-grained wood rise ahead of his long, sure strokes."

"Roland hit twice more, wielding the piece of chert with near-surgical precision. Then he used his knife to cut a circle in the head-hide, which he pulled off like a cap. This revealed the cracked skull beneath. He worked the blade of his knife into the widest crack and used it as a lever. When the deer's brain was exposed, he took it out, set it carefully aside, and looked at Susannah.

"We'll want the brains of every deer we killed, and that's what we need a hammer for."' Roland used his knife to cut its belly open, then reached into the guts, rummaged, and removed two dripping red organs that she thought were kidneys. "Time and repetition had done its work; she'd now seen too many tumbling guts to feel squeamish about a few brains. They cracked heads, used Roland's knife (its edge now dull) to pry open skulls, and removed the brains of their kill…Roland re-sharpened his knife, then used it to whittle half a dozen bone needles."

Back