traditional knives in movies

In the 1940 film The Long Voyage Home, Smitty can’t get the cork out of a bottle of hooch. He’s about to break the bottleneck. We’ve already seen one quart opened that way. It’s a waste of booze, says I.

Donkeyman (that’s the character’s name) says, “Smitty!” and holds out his hand. Smitty hands him the bottle. Donkeyman opens his pocket knife and pries the cork loose. I couldn’t get a great look, but the lines resembled a GEC Ben Hogan. Smitty chugs his drink without chewing on glass. Happy ending!

Of that scene at least.

Victorinox Soldier in movie 'Joint Security Area (from the year 2000)'

1469858_638487122841275_1961145885_n.jpg

I am so curious here (but not enough to read the whole thread, excuse me if it has been adressed before...) I have been wondering (hard, very hard) about this knife... A Hollywood knife probably, Hibben looking... yes, but really, what is it ? For your amusement... The movie is "The Ultimate Warrior" starring Yul Brynner. Crappy movie but Yul was great as always...

Yulsknife_zpse403cb0f.jpg

Last edited:
So in Silence of the lambs, when Hannibal breaks free, he picks up a trapper like knife from the floor. Any chance anyone caught what kind of knife it is, or can identify it? Kind of looks like a slim line trapper maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I actually posted the answer to your question in that thread Jack Black linked
It's a Schrade USA Scrimshaw Wildlife trapper
2e62c7087a76feb286aa4a25e5aca0a6.jpg

Now if you wanna talk about traditional knives used in movies, you have to see "A Face In the Crowd" with Andy Griffth. In the very first scene, there'a bunch of old men sitting in the park, whittling! Also a great older movie for a lot of pocket knife play in several scenes is the 1930s movie "David Harem" starring none other than Will Rogers. Looks like Will's character is using an older cell knife and the other actor is using a larger clip main bladed folder. They actually play a game with them in one scene where they're throwing these little hoops in the office and using the knives, stuck in the desktop as in horse shoes! I've never seen traditional folders used more in one movie. Course the film is set at the turn of the late 1800s where horses were the main form of getting around, horse tradin and playin' with knives!

The Better half and I are working our way through the series "Foyle's War" on netflix, and in the third season second episode, Foyle is investigating a murder at a country farm house. He takes out what looks like a good sized folder from his pocket to dig a bullet out of a wall. To my eye, it looked like a trapper style handle of some light bone material, with a blunt spear point blade. Since the show is set in the early WW2 period of 1940 to 41, I would assume that the shows prop people used something Sheffield from the pre-war era. It was an interesting looking knife, but maybe a little out of character for the character. I'd have thought he'd have been carrying a nice Sheffield pearl lobster with some tools on it.

The Better half and I are working our way through the series "Foyle's War" on netflix, and in the third season second episode, Foyle is investigating a murder at a country farm house. He takes out what looks like a good sized folder from his pocket to dig a bullet out of a wall. To my eye, it looked like a trapper style handle of some light bone material, with a blunt spear point blade. Since the show is set in the early WW2 period of 1940 to 41, I would assume that the shows prop people used something Sheffield from the pre-war era. It was an interesting looking knife, but maybe a little out of character for the character. I'd have thought he'd have been carrying a nice Sheffield pearl lobster with some tools on it.

Foyle is a recreational fisherman.

My personal choice for cleaning fish and game—not that I hunt much anymore—is a small sheath knife. It’s easy to clean, with little chance of a colony of Guardia or whatever setting up housekeeping in the joint. I love my Randall Pathfinder for the work.

If I had to carry a slip joint for fishing, I’d pick something simple, with few places for bacteria to nest. Something like a sodbuster or trapper. The last thing I’d pick—for that use—would be a plague hotel like the Swiss Champ.

That may be why Foyle carries a simple slippy.

Foyle is a recreational fisherman.

My personal choice for cleaning fish and game—not that I hunt much anymore—is a small sheath knife. It’s easy to clean, with little chance of a colony of Guardia or whatever setting up housekeeping in the joint. I love my Randall Pathfinder for the work.

If I had to carry a slip joint for fishing, I’d pick something simple, with few places for bacteria to nest. Something like a sodbuster or trapper. The last thing I’d pick—for that use—would be a plague hotel like the Swiss Champ.

That may be why Foyle carries a simple slippy.

Good point about the fishing. They make it a point by having him fly fishing every few episodes. But After watching a few seasons, the way the character comes across to me, especially the excellent and smooth way Michael Kitchen portrays him, is a well dressed three piece suit type, that even wears a tie when fishing. If a larger knife was needed to deal with a nice fat trout, I'd have thought he'd had a dedicated "fishing" knife in his creel. Or stored with his waders. For the day to day carrying knife, I guess I expected someone like that to have the Sheffield equivalent of a Victorinox executive in the vest pocket. The guy doesn't garden, doesn't work on a car because he doesn't even drive one, and seems to be an office type, with the exception being fly fishing.

But I guess you can't judge a book by the cover.

There's a fair number of traditional Japanese blades in "47 Ronin". A very odd movie. I don't think I'd recommend it, though if you were to remove the Keanu Reeves character and the demon CG segments, it would be excellent.

There's a fair number of traditional Japanese blades in "47 Ronin". A very odd movie. I don't think I'd recommend it, though if you were to remove the Keanu Reeves character and the demon CG segments, it would be excellent.

I haven’t seen the current release. From the reviews, it turns a real life drama into a CGI cartoon. Oxen and wain ropes won’t drag me into that theater.

I recommend Chushingura, the 1962 version directed by Hiroshi Inagaki. You’ll have to put up with subtitles and a dearth of dragons.

But it does have Toshiro Mifune and plenty of cutlery.

On an episode of Dexter, probably season 6 or 7, Dexter gifts one of his lady friends with what looks like to me a Case Copperlock. I think at one point she uses it to protect herself from an attacker, but I could be wrong.

Back