traditional knives in movies

The knife from The Silence of the Lambs (mentioned a few times in this thread) was brought up in the off topic thread today, and after looking at it more closely, I think I figured it out, so I figured I'd post it here as well. Pretty sure it's a Schrade Scrimshaw. Here's a highly cropped photo from the movie, and the only photo I could find of the particular Schrade I'm pretty sure is a match. (Sorry for the poor photo quality/size on each.)

413348C4-0D7E-4082-80D9-20F32BBADE9A.jpeg

8A65A26B-524E-4EB3-B64B-81E7B7056EA7.jpg

hmm not sure how the liner lock would have affected the scene. He sort of plays with the knife as I remember, " ready when you are, Sargent Pembry" (blade closes sound) any one have one to test this theory? :)

Don't know if this one's been mentioned yet, but I was watching 'Red River' starring John Wayne the other day and Montgomery Clift whipped out what looked like a large, dark handled trapper to free his love interest from the side of a wagon where she had been pinned by an Indian arrow. A little later he uses it to remove the arrow from the Lady's shoulder. He paused a moment to choose an appropriate blade so it was definitely a knife with more than one blade and going by the size and shape of the handle I'm saying trapper, though going by his occupation (cow herder) a stockman would, of course, have been more appropriate. He is also seen using the knife, and the same drop-point blade, for a spot of nervous whittling a little later to get his mind off the fact that Wayne in gunning for him. Fantastic film!. Needs to get me one of them there trappers. Yeehaaa!! ;)

Last edited:
I remember in one episode of Married With Children, Al Bundy is on his front porch and pulls out a pocketknife. I couldn't see it clearly enough, but it looked kinda like a stockman. I think he tried to use it to pry something out of the wall, or mess with the doorbell, or something like that.

Also, in the 1999 movie Virus, I could have sworn some guy (a marine??) pulled out what looked like a medium stockman to cut something. My memory of the story/characters is a bit hazy now, because I only saw the movie once in a theater when it first came out.

Jim

Last edited:
Here's one from the movie Tremors. When everyone is up on the roof of the general store hiding from the graboids, Kevin Bacon's character is lowered down to the window to grab the radio inside. To the left, you can see a cardboard display of traditional-looking pocket knives, though I don't think it's a clear enough shot to tell what they are. The largest appears to have wood scales and brass bolsters. I can't really tell anything about the other two.

9xqqJDa.png

o3FRTcI.jpg

And here's another, from the TV show Fear the Walking Dead, in which a character hands over what appears to be a Buck 110 that he was carrying in his watch pocket.

edIGplz.png

7H5ukxv.png

Last edited:
That Tremors pocket knife sighting is pretty incredible, Barrett. :thumbup:
My wife is nuts about that movie, so much so that she'll even watch all the horrible sequels, and she's made me watch it what seems like countless times! :barf: I'd never noticed that display, though, as he was grabbing the radio. :cool:

I'll be showing your post to my wife; it will make her day! :rolleyes:

- GT

That's funny, I was watching Fear the Walking Dead last night also, and I just about jumped out of my chair when that Buck 110 was pulled out. Of course, I mentioned that to my wife and son, I'm sure they just rolled their eyes when I looked away.

In From Here to Eternity, Ernest Borgnine whipped out a knife when he fought Frank Sinatra. It isn't clearly shown, but I always thought it was a large toothpick. Maybe someone can get a screenshot to confirm or correct that.

I have always thought that in the Dark Tower, Roland Deschain's knife was something like an Argentine Gaucho knife. At least that is what I visualize.

I think the main character in No Country For Old Men has some sort of scout knife in the movie that he uses to unscrew the ventilation shaft cover (flathead screwdriver). You can barely spot the knife, but that's how it seemed to me. I could be wrong.

Don't know if this one's been mentioned yet, but I was watching 'Red River' starring John Wayne the other day and Montgomery Clift whipped out what looked like a large, dark handled trapper to free his love interest from the side of a wagon where she had been pinned by an Indian arrow. A little later he uses it to remove the arrow from the Lady's shoulder. He paused a moment to choose an appropriate blade so it was definitely a knife with more than one blade and going by the size and shape of the handle I'm saying trapper, though going by his occupation (cow herder) a stockman would, of course, have been more appropriate. He is also seen using the knife, and the same drop-point blade, for a spot of nervous whittling a little later to get his mind off the fact that Wayne in gunning for him. Fantastic film!. Needs to get me one of them there trappers. Yeehaaa!! ;)

20160819_173934 by Blake Blade, on Flickr

....There we go :):thumbup:

Very nice Blake :thumbup:

Well spotted Barratt :) :thumbup:

That Tremors pocket knife sighting is pretty incredible, Barrett. :thumbup:
My wife is nuts about that movie, so much so that she'll even watch all the horrible sequels, and she's made me watch it what seems like countless times! :barf: I'd never noticed that display, though, as he was grabbing the radio. :cool:

I'll be showing your post to my wife; it will make her day! :rolleyes:

- GT

Haha, thanks GT! Like your wife, I've always had a fondness for Tremors. I think the original is great; the sequels, well, yeah, they're all pretty bad, each one a little worse than the last. Apparently there's a fifth one that came out just in the last year or so. :eek:

I'm a bit surprised that I noticed the little knife display myself.

That's funny, I was watching Fear the Walking Dead last night also, and I just about jumped out of my chair when that Buck 110 was pulled out. Of course, I mentioned that to my wife and son, I'm sure they just rolled their eyes when I looked away.

Trust me, I get those looks, too. We were actually watching Tremors on one of the movie channels the other night, and after noticing the knife display, I went in the other room and got the DVD so I could get the screenshot on my laptop. My wife asked what I was doing, and I think I just responded, "Knife forum," which is apparently a good enough answer to elicit an eye roll and no further questioning. :D

How do you like Fear the Walking Dead? I haven't been able to get into it as much as The Walking Dead, and really I haven't enjoyed that one the last few seasons as much as I did when it first came on, but my wife loves them, so we watch them. :rolleyes:

thats gotta dig into the hip, a buck 110 in the watch pocket

I thought the same thing; that's a lot of knife for a watch pocket!

I think the main character in No Country For Old Men has some sort of scout knife in the movie that he uses to unscrew the ventilation shaft cover (flathead screwdriver). You can barely spot the knife, but that's how it seemed to me. I could be wrong.

A.L., if I recall correctly, the knife in No Country for Old Men is a Camillus Demo knife (or similar).

In the movie '' From Here to Eternity '' actor Ernest Borgnine uses a traditional folder to fight with Montgomery Clift.
This film is very good!.

In the movie '' From Here to Eternity '' actor Ernest Borgnine uses a traditional folder to fight with Montgomery Clift.

He surely does!

[video=youtube;Lfk-JTdQ_0I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfk-JTdQ_0I[/video]

-- Mark

Cool scene! :cool:
But I was completely surprised (and delighted) by the little green cartoon "speech bubble" that came up where a little old Chinese bystander asks another bystander (George Reeves?) something like, "Superman, why didn't you stop the fight?" :D

Haha, thanks GT! Like your wife, I've always had a fondness for Tremors. I think the original is great; the sequels, well, yeah, they're all pretty bad, each one a little worse than the last. Apparently there's a fifth one that came out just in the last year or so. :eek:

I'm a bit surprised that I noticed the little knife display myself.
I can't consider the original a great movie, but Michael Gross (Burt the Survivalist) has some classic lines. :D My personal favorite is probably after Burt and his wife fire off an entire wall full of all manner of weaponry for what seems like 5 minutes at one of the monsters that comes through the concrete wall of their underground bunker. When the beast is finally dead, Burt says something along the lines of, "I guess you broke into the wrong gol-durned rec room, didn't you?"
(I don't remember whether he had any cutlery in his weapons display.)

- GT

"What kind of fuse is that?"

"Cannon fuse."

"What the heck do you use it for?"

"My cannon."

:D :D

The impression that I have is that Ernest Borgnine uses a traditional folder with automatic opening.

There is a British TV mystery series from a few years back called, "Rosemary & Thyme" in which the two main characters are landscape gardeners. Anyone who hires them, however, is destined to have a murder occur on their property.

One of the ladies, Rosemary, carries and uses a very hefty stag handled horticulturist's jack. Looks like a great knife.

Here's another from TV, from the Food Network show Cutthroat Kitchen, in particular the "Camp Cutthroat" special they're doing right now. As part of one of the sabotages on the show, Alton Brown pulls out a small Buck-style wood-and-brass lockback. (I thought when he pulled it out that it would actually be part of the sabotage, that the chef would have to do all their cutting with it or something like that, but it turned out to be part of a 127 Hours gag, where two chefs had to work with one arm stuck between some boulders.)

PT9160a.jpg

hdaXJH4.jpg

Last edited:
Back