traditional knives in movies

Sonnemann mentioned this knife earlier in this thread, although with a mis-typed movie title so it's not readily found via search. The knife's a beaut!

If I recall correctly, it's a 'regular' Victorinox Climber-- note the hook (not in the above image, but in the film)-- re-clad in stag and bailed (with an awesome shield). :)

~ P.

Yes I did notice the hook . but the stag and shield . confused me :D thanks for the info pertinux :thumbup:

William Holden in "Counterfeit Traitor" use a knife to kill a German at a phone booth. Real life story of a Swedish business man recruited to spy against the Germans, and in the book written by the business man he calls the knife a "Jack Knife" but from the description it was some kind of switchblade. John

I love it when this thread pops up! The other day I was watching the pilot episode of "The Man in the High Castle" and one of the main characters used an old scout pattern to open a box and twist some screws. The show has some traditional knife potential, taking place in the 60s. I hope it gets picked up.

Is that based on the Philip K Dick novel of the same name?

The sixth episode of the third series (‘ Room At The Bottom’) of classic British TV comedy ‘Dad’s Army’ sees a penknife being used and offered, with the final words of the episode being, “Would you like to borrow my penknife?”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_at_the_Bottom

Dads-Army.14.10.1.jpg

[video=youtube;wOEUJ2a1I0Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOEUJ2a1I0Q[/video]

I went to see a live broadcast of Dad's Army when i was about eleven at the BBC studios in London, fond memories! No knives mentioned in that showing though IiRC.

Russell

Sounds like a great memory Russell :thumbup:

Thanks Jack it certainly was. Some Forty Seven years ago, but does not feel it looking back.

Russell

In last night's final episode of Arthur and George (PBS) a traditional knife with a fleaming blade was found to be the instrument used in the slayings. I thought I recognized the blade shape in the first episode, barely noticeable to a casual observer.

Last edited:
Lino knife in Eastern Promises.

Linoleum_Knife.jpg

Someone wasn't happy with their lino! :eek: :D

for some reason i think the slippie for sale in the forsale section right now was the one bond used in skyfall to cut the shards of radiated bullets out... any one see it?

I started watching elementary recently. Sherlock's character loves his balisongs, but recently I watched an episode where a guest star used a jack or stockman to free himself and Watson.

I was watching the new episode of Sherlock set in Victorian England and saw this jackknife holding correspondence in place on the mantle. I remember awhile back a thread speculating on what knife Sherlock Holmes might of carried...

e1f21213-7098-4998-a322-f219f25ec7ed_zps6lzhpuzd.png

I went to see a live broadcast of Dad's Army when i was about eleven at the BBC studios in London, fond memories! No knives mentioned in that showing though IiRC.

Russell

I saw a live broadcast of Howdy Doody when I was a kid. "Silence in the Peanut Gallery!"

They didn't have any knives though.

Not even peanuts.

I seem to recall in the 1983 movie "The Dead Zone", Christopher Walken's character, Johnny Smith, has decided to kill Martin Sheen's character and retrieves a rifle and I think he starts taking it down using the screwdriver tip of a scout/camp knife. I don't remember much about it other than seeing the bail and the cap lifter/screwdriver.

I was watching the new episode of Sherlock set in Victorian England and saw this jackknife holding correspondence in place on the mantle. I remember awhile back a thread speculating on what knife Sherlock Holmes might of carried...

e1f21213-7098-4998-a322-f219f25ec7ed_zps6lzhpuzd.png

LOL! :D Well spotted :thumbup: I'm not sure Richards were making clamshells in Victorian England! :D :thumbup:

In the movie Twelve Angry Men the defendant is accused of using a stiletto style switchblade as a murder weapon. In a scene one of the jurors that grew up in a rough neighborhood demonstrates how to use the knife for fighting by deploying the blade while thrusting it at the intended target. One of my favorite movies for sure.

Back