traditional knives in movies

Just because I'm all about the sgian dubh right now; Liam Neeson uses one to humble Tim Roth in Rob Roy.

He does a good job too. Was thinking about that film, and the rotten Archibald Cunningham only yesterday :)

In the movie Backdraft, Robert DeNero uses a stockman (I think) or some kind of traditional to scrape the putty off the trash can, When he shows William Baldwin the fire in the can.

I just watched To Kill a Mockingbird again the other night, and Jem pulled a nice teardrop jack (spear and pen blades with both nicks markside) in some tiger striped celluloid out of his cigar box. It was part of the nick nacks that Boo Radley left for him in the knot of the old tree.

Finished watching tv show Mountain Men, the fur buyer that Marty went to in the next to last episode of the first season had a Grohmann on his hip.

Clint Eastwood's Eiger Sanction has a old German(?) Auto in a few scenes and Clint uses what looks like an SAK to cut his ropes at the end.

not a movie, but I've been watching the first season of X Files (great show).

in one episode Scully is using what appears to be the cap lifter/flat head from a SAK to remove a bathroom door knob to get in to a sick man.

in the very next episode she cuts down a "cocoon" containing a dessicated logger with a borrowed buck 110 from a forest ranger. in the next scene the ranger uses the buck to open it up.

I love it when this thread pops up on the radar again! I have two additions to make this evening.

First, I recently began rewatching the television show "Jericho" with a buddy of mine. In the pilot episode, the main character pulls out what appears to be a large case stockman with a turkish clip and amber bone covers to perform an impromptu tracheotomy:

Then while I was finishing up season one of "Orange is the New Black" I spotted the protagonists brother using a wood handled canoe (presumably a Buck import) to whittle a spoon:

^^ I don't think that's a spoon, but a small wooden prybar. He's planning to use it to lift his head up off his shoulders so a neck can be installed there. ;)

I don't know if it's been mentioned but in Lethal Weapon 3 at the start of the Movie when Mel Gibson is trying to disarm a bomb, he uses what looks like a Vic Climber to cut a wire with the scissors.

Not sure if these were mentioned....

Anthony Hopkins & Alec Baldwin exchange a knife in "The Edge"

Pacino uses a small lockback twice,in "Insomnia"

Cool thread. James Spader is using some great knives !

One more that comes to mind & again I'm not sure if it was mentioned (I did read most of this thread) , is in "The Patriot" ,Mel Gibson cuts & apple for a snack while talking to his son Heath Ledger , using a fixed blade. I recall the first time I saw it in my mind I said,"period correct"

I think this was the scene filmed on Edisto Is. in S.C.

Not sure if these were mentioned....

Anthony Hopkins & Alec Baldwin exchange a knife in "The Edge"

Not to mention the Hopkins character used that knife to make spears to kill the bear which was hunting them. Used it for several other functions, also.

Not to mention the Hopkins character used that knife to make spears to kill the bear which was hunting them. Used it for several other functions, also.

It was a good one Frank IMO,and I always wondered what the knife was & if custom ,who the maker is

Back