Traditional knives, traditional storage

One of my hobbies is (amateur) woodworking. I wanted a Gerstner literally since I started collecting knives 30 years ago. I finally picked one up, and like anything else good, one led to another, and here we are.

All of these were bought “farm fresh”, i.e. covered in grease and battle scarred. I left a lot of the scars in, as they tell the story of the chest. One even came from a famous California aircraft manufacturer’s shop.

Let’s see your storage.

ECB58F6E-7975-4EEF-94CD-6B11EADBE99B by jim nevill, on Flickr
83B4FB2A-D4D1-4529-BDF2-C044D6E557C6 by jim nevill, on Flickr

A6B48F31-4007-4D02-BCB8-A0399500A6E4 by jim nevill, on Flickr

66BC7C88-8D99-47BE-91C6-83881FDF3FEB by jim nevill, on Flickr

8E26697A-3F56-4022-9438-D28A6B39EE51 by jim nevill, on Flickr

F900AD72-C349-428B-9E33-92C7DC36B4CF by jim nevill, on Flickr

8767C96D-C018-4061-A23A-9D237241E024 by jim nevill, on Flickr

4613CEB2-38AA-4E3E-A5B3-392AC2428009 by jim nevill, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not a Gerstner but an old humidor made of figured cherry. I converted to slots better suited to my knives.
mPH3em8.jpg

Top one is my main storage for folders (traditional).View attachment 982476 The second one is my wife's knife collection (also traditional). Mine is a Gerstner International while hers is a USA vintage Gerstner.View attachment 982477

Nice! You know you can order a replacement key from them, right? Or the whole lock if you need it.

And, I also gave my wife a Gerstner USA, I’ll have to get a pic of it.

Nice! You know you can order a replacement key from them, right? Or the whole lock if you need it.
Yes. There are a couple items of hardware missing that we need to replace. Thank you. Your chests are splendid! I too have always loved them.

Those chests are so prestigious!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
I don't have anything close to that, but you did invite us to show our storage, so here's my rather low-rent approach.
6 Plano boxes stacked in a cupboard at the bottom of a bookcase:
6planos.on.2shelves.jpg

Here are the same 6 boxes spread out on the lid of the chest freezer in the basement to facilitate the weekly knife rotation:
6planos.on.freezer.jpg

- GT

Amazing chests and Plano boxes! :)

All I have is a wood cigar box ($2 from The Yee Olde Tobacco Shoppe) and a third or fourth hand store ... or maybe it was a 5th Chance Store ... backpack/book bag. :oops:

You all put my sock drawer to shame.

When i met the girl who has now been my wife for the last 31 years, the morning after the first time she spent the night at my house she needed a pair of clean socks, so she opened my sock drawer to get a pair and commented “holy cow you have a lot of knives! Let’s go to the flea market and get you a case!”

We did, I had 98 knives that day, that’s what started me down the path to 600 knives and 7 chests. I remind her all the time that this is all her fault.

Nothing wrong with knives in a sock drawer my friend!

Does anyone have experience with this one from Harbor Freight?
Alan I purchased one on two different occasions and returned each one. If you are lucky and purchase one that's in good shape I believe it would serve you well with a little bit of attention here and there. The problem with those I bought was there were just too many issues. Most of the drawers were hard to open and close.

Back