TSA baby-steps it towards more rational policy concerning knives on planes

Good question, have you checked the TSA website? Assuming it has a non locking blade and is under the limit it should be fine, lol.

I've looked, I think it would be ok, I have a PST that I would be chopping short, as I have 3 of them, and one is rather rough. I would be more worried about them throwing a fit over having a bunch of tools, even if they were allowed

Still limits all but one of my collection, including my sypderco bug......but a step in the right direction!!

I'm eyeballing my favorite Leatherman Juice S2. Blade length is 6.6 cm overall. Wonder if I can grind it into a 6 cm Tanto.

Progress is always good. I am glad that they realized that a classic sak is not a weapon.

Good question does a texas jack count as a molded handle?

I guess you could practice using a wine-bottle opener as a karambit. but you might be better off just using your keys. Anyway, I'd almost prefer that they just banned all knives rather than this sort of silliness. Eventually someone is going to be running down the aisle with their corkscrew/opener and put out someone's eye. THEN you'll be sorry...

About the only knife I know of that fits this might be a SAK.

Do you know of any knives that might fit this requirement?

Seriously? You gotta get out of the general forum more. Check out the similar thread in the Traditional forum. Lots and lots of knives fit the requirements.

I find some of the posts about people saying they 2.36 inch rule makes no sense, and how did they get that number. I think that the number was taken from 6 cm blade length, I don't know where they got 6 cm from though

I find some of the posts about people saying they 2.36 inch rule makes no sense, and how did they get that number. I think that the number was taken from 6 cm blade length, I don't know where they got 6 cm from though

Pretty sure that's the length limit in several countries (eg: Korea, Denmark).

Someone has got to explain to me how a molded grip is dangerous. Please.

I'll wait.

I have no explanation, just a guess.

Maybe this is a way to prevent plastic explosives being disguised as knife handles and being brought through security?

Or maybe I just watched way too many ‘007’ films. :D

Last edited:
I wonder what this means for cross-border travel? I travel by air from Toronto to the US maybe once a year or so and am curious if Canadian Customs will allow us to carry-on knives allowed by the US or not? That said, I've traveled by air to Florida recently with one of my SAK Classics and even my Leatherman Wave in my carry-on (I forgot they were there) and had no issues. I have had issues when they saw my analog luggage scale on the X-Ray and thought it was a bomb or something and asked to search my bag until they found it.

Am I reading/interpreting the TSA announcement correctly to say that these knives can be in our carry-on luggage but not on our persons, i.e.not in our pockets?

Not worth the time to read the document. Who needs a tiny knife on the plane and take the risk of an idiot that can't measure or understand the rules checking the terrorist box on my ticket. Convoluted changes are like that for a reason: to confuse the hell out out of the average Joe so they still leave their knives athome so we don't have to rely on the TSA officers to figure it out at the airport.

I think you have brought forth a good point.

Don't worry though, round tip plastic play scissors are still banned. :p

This is not a common sense decision, this is a decision based on the fact that the TSA is seeing that their jobs are dangling by a thread. No one has anything nice to say about them, because there isn't anything nice to say about them. They're just trying to keep people from realizing that they're completely inept at everything and that they're an unnecessary waste.

I take it back, they're very good at searching little old ladies and handicapped children.

It's a step in the right direction. At the very least they're not gonna confiscate keychain-sized SAKs anymore.

I wonder what this means for cross-border travel? I travel by air from Toronto to the US maybe once a year or so and am curious if Canadian Customs will allow us to carry-on knives allowed by the US or not? That said, I've traveled by air to Florida recently with one of my SAK Classics and even my Leatherman Wave in my carry-on (I forgot they were there) and had no issues. I have had issues when they saw my analog luggage scale on the X-Ray and thought it was a bomb or something and asked to search my bag until they found it.

Unfortunately for the time being the knife ban here remains in place. That may change with time with the cross boarder air traffic we have here, but I am not holding my breath as Canada lags a long way behind the USA when it comes down to basic liberties.

According to news last night knives will be allowed back on planes,with limitations.
No locking blades and length not to exceed 2 3/16"
It's a start anyway.;)

Pen knives are handy for personal care and first aid (eg tracheotomy). If every passenger carried a small bat with them, those that might fight back could be a small army. Golf clubs and ski poles could act quite martially. Along with relaxing regulations, they are (perhaps) still limiting bloodshed (those seats are expensive to replace) while still offering the opportunity for the stalwart to fight back. That and a bit of common sense, for sure.

Regarding double edge safety blades for shaving. Get a grip, they are sold widely at either end of a trip and are inexpensive. A good pen knife will do most anything a double edge safety razor (or sturdier single edge utility razor) can do, so I just can't sympathize much with "I can only shave with a double edge safety blade" Scruffy is still in vogue anyway, even for formal engagements. Need that baby soft feel? That I can sympathize with but really adapting an alternative or waiting until landing hardly seems like much of a hurdle to pass.

I don't spend much time on planes, so your mileage may vary quite a bit but if protection is the crux of concern, the allowances projected are fairly open.

Cheers

GC

Back